Rumor: Carl Klingberg headed to Russia

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

The Stempniak trade, keeping Tanner Glass on the roster, 6 months at a time.

Hahaha, sounds like Winnipeg knew something the Rangers did not, or this kid knew he wasn't going to have a chance to make the money here, he will there.

I thought the KHL was folding anyway? :popcorn:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This is completely on AV...

His mismanagement of Stempniak, his overuse of Glass, and his "need" for having intimidation in the lineup...

Sather needs to ship Glass out on July 1st to ANY cap floor team. This move really makes AV look like a dumbass

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Klingberg looked like he had potential to take a 4th line wing spot or be a 13th forward. Personally I think I'd prefer him over Ryan Bourque (because of the size issue)--and maybe over Glass--at least in some situations.

It's not a big loss. He's been banging around in the AHL for a few years without really taking the next step and it's not like the Jets have the greatest forward depth. He's pretty much become a very good player at the AHL level---excellent size and really good wheels. The Rangers I'm sure will sign someone to replace him.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Klingberg looked like he had potential to take a 4th line wing spot or be a 13th forward. Personally I think I'd prefer him over Ryan Bourque (because of the size issue)--and maybe over Glass--at least in some situations.

It's not a big loss. He's been banging around in the AHL for a few years without really taking the next step and it's not like the Jets have the greatest forward depth. He's pretty much become a very good player at the AHL level---excellent size and really good wheels. The Rangers I'm sure will sign someone to replace him.

Four years, Carl takes the puck wide. Drives to the net, takes a shot...it ends up in the corner. FOUR YEARS of that. Klingberg is a dime a dozen player. Was never high on him. Great off ice guy, best of luck. However you won't have trouble replacing him for Hartford.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
He had said earlier in the week that he wasn't interested in playing in Russia and wanted to stay in North America... Bizarre.

Not likely that he ever makes the Rangers lineup anyway. The Stempniak deal was a cap move.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This is not like some huge ****ing deal. Rangers signed Stempniak as a UFA--it's like found money--there are tons of journeymen Stempniak's every year looking for a home who will sign for cheap. They moved him on for Klingberg--who had some value as a big, fast guy with a little NHL experience. There are thousands of fish in the sea and plenty of them would be happy to land in NY--an exciting place with one of the better teams in the league. The Rangers will find a replacement I'm pretty sure.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Four years, Carl takes the puck wide. Drives to the net, takes a shot...it ends up in the corner. FOUR YEARS of that. Klingberg is a dime a dozen player. Was never high on him. Great off ice guy, best of luck. However you won't have trouble replacing him for Hartford.

As you were writing that I was writing another response. I don't think we're too far off in our assessments of Klingberg.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
nothing more than a 4th line energy guy. he's a frustrating player with some skills but no finish. great stride and alot of juice but not much more.

for a team in need of guys with hands and snipe, he isn't going to be hard to replace.

sure he's better than glass, but he's not better than lindberg nor fast nor maybe even hrivik.

good luck in the K swede.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I hate Glass.

This is not Glass fault.

Klingberg is a marginal talent.

Better than Glass?

One has carved out a career in the NHL, the other is leaving for the KHL.

You be the judge.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
So essentially the Rangers gave up Stempniak for a worse player in Sheppard and lost a 4th round pick because of it too.

And then people wonder why others get mad because of Tanner Glass. It has the ripple effect that leads to stupid decisions like this. Shame of it is Stempniak could have slid in well into the top 9 during the playoffs to replace Zucc.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
So essentially the Rangers gave up Stempniak for a worse player in Sheppard and lost a 4th round pick because of it too.

And then people wonder why others get mad because of Tanner Glass. It has the ripple effect that leads to stupid decisions like this. Shame of it is Stempniak could have slid in well into the top 9 during the playoffs to replace Zucc.

Glass has nothing to do with this.

And I would argue that Miller stepping in did as well as Stempniak would have done, if not better.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
This is completely on AV...

His mismanagement of Stempniak, his overuse of Glass, and his "need" for having intimidation in the lineup...

Sather needs to ship Glass out on July 1st to ANY cap floor team. This move really makes AV look like a dumbass

who in the world said or thought Glass was here to intimidate ? he was here to counter what may have happen and to his credit he did and fought well when needed. he also stood out in the playoffs. Stop inventing terms or labels that don't exist

TurgePurge*

Stempniak was traded for cap reasons. Not to acquire a future asset.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Glass has nothing to do with this.

And I would argue that Miller stepping in did as well as Stempniak would have done, if not better.

Glass takes up 1.45 million on the cap. It's clear as day the Rangers wanted him to play over anyone else (Sheppard, Stempniak, etc). If they wanted to ice the best team possible, Glass is either dealt for whatever they could get or sent down to clear 925K and then they bring in Sheppard. Reason why Stempniak was dealt was because they didn't have enough space under the cap to fit both Sheppard and him and they clearly preferred Sheppard.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm ok with this if the Rangers manage to sign Viktor Tikhonov who's rumored to want to come back to the NHL.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
who in the world said or thought Glass was here to intimidate ? he was here to counter what may have happen and to his credit he did and fought well when needed. he also stood out in the playoffs. Stop inventing terms or labels that don't exist

Hey Dogons stop inventing uses for ****** players who are useless. He is a nothing master.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003

Tanner Glass only stood out in the playoffs because his play was so abysmal during the regular season. Glass set the bar so low for himself that anything positive in the playoffs was a plus. He was a downgrade from Dorsett and Carcillo and by a wide margin.

As far as Klingberg is concerned good for him. He is probably getting paid more money in Russia and his window for maximizing his value is closing. Perhaps he has a good season and like MZA, is signed in March by the Rangers to add depth for the playoff run.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Oh well. He did have an interview a few days ago in a Swedish paper. In that interview, he said he was gung-ho on sticking it out and trying to make the big club.

Could be that this rumor is BS, unless he received not-so-good info in the last few days.

Guess we'll see.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

What? He was awful at everything he did. By far the worst player in the league. So glad we have 2 more years of watching him. What a time.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Glass takes up 1.45 million on the cap. It's clear as day the Rangers wanted him to play over anyone else (Sheppard, Stempniak, etc). If they wanted to ice the best team possible, Glass is either dealt for whatever they could get or sent down to clear 925K and then they bring in Sheppard. Reason why Stempniak was dealt was because they didn't have enough space under the cap to fit both Sheppard and him and they clearly preferred Sheppard.

And the team won a Presidents Trophy with Glass over Stemp and Shepp

Not retaining Klingberg has nothing to do with Glass.

And truth be told, AV preferred Glass over both.

Again, had the team been healthy there's a good possibility that we could still be playing. Meaning that the choice of Glass over the other two (while you may not like) had no bearing on the team winning or losing meaning Glass is not to blame for any of this.

And I hate glass.

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
And the team won a Presidents Trophy with Glass over Stemp and Shepp

Not retaining Klingberg has nothing to do with Glass.

And truth be told, AV preferred Glass over both.

Again, had the team been healthy there's a good possibility that we could still be playing. Meaning that the choice of Glass over the other two (while you may not like) had no bearing on the team winning or losing meaning Glass is not to blame for any of this.

And I hate glass.

In 2014, we had a viable 4th line and went to the SCF. We really didn't have a viable 4th line in 2015. Glass was an anchor who brought down everyone around him. Including Stempniak. As a result, we didn't have a viable 4th line this year. Think about how many goals we got from 4th line players in the playoffs last year. Clearly the choice of Glass impacted us.

I also think, fwiw, that AV should have scratched Glass instead of Shepp in game 7 of the ECF. Not that it would have made the biggest difference in the world, but Glass is clearly an inferior offensive player to shepp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad