Recalled/Assigned: Carl Dahlström and Brett Seney recalled from Marlies

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Hopefully this is just a paper move in order to get these two guys some extra cash for the holidays. Hopefully Mikheyev and Dermott are ready to go.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
CARL DAHLSTROM

Status On roster
Ht/Wt 6’4’’, 221 lbs
Shoots L
Experience 3 years
Debut Feb 10, 2018
Born Jan 28, 1995 (26 yrs) Stockholm, Sweden
Drafted Drafted by Chicago in 2013 (2/51).
Drafted from Linkoping (Swe Jr.)

SCOUTING REPORT
With great size and a real edge to his game, he can make an impact along the blueline. He moves the puck well and already displays reliability and consistency. Is not going to be a quarterback on the power play, and he may never produce impressive offensive numbers at the National Hockey League level.

Long Range Potential: Big, steady defenseman with some upside

https://sportsforecaster.com/nhl/p/20138/Carl_Dahlstrom

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
BRETT SENEY
Status On roster
Ht/Wt 5’9’’, 156 lbs
Shoots L
Experience 2 years
Debut Nov 3, 2018
Born Feb 28, 1996 (25 yrs) London, Ontario
Drafted Drafted by New Jersey in 2015 (6/157).
Drafted from Merrimack (HE)

SCOUTING REPORT
Has supreme playmaking ability, excellent passing skills and a great brain for the game of hockey. Can set up his teammates with aplomb. Works very hard at improving his craft. Will always be challenged because of his significant lack of size and strength, so production is key to his survival in the professional ranks. Is not the greatest defensive forward.

Long Range Potential: Diminutive but talented, skilled playmaker with some upside.

https://sportsforecaster.com/nhl/p/25826/Brett_Seney

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Any chance we are showcasing these guys, also Rubins? With my limited knowledge of our depth D I wouldve thought Menell or Kral wouldve had a chance sooner.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Ewwwwww. Rubins has been fine, certainly a better NHL option than Dahlstrom. Seney has been great with the Marlies so I'm fine with him getting a chance. He was terrible in pre-season though so I don't expect him to stick around for long.

Not that terrible...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Any chance we are showcasing these guys, also Rubins? With my limited knowledge of our depth D I wouldve thought Menell or Kral wouldve had a chance sooner.

I think it's what someone else mentioned earlier, the Leafs (and other teams too) will call up people on paper to give them a NHL salary for a couple of days, then send them back down before their next AHL game. Classy move IMHO.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Dubas must be watching the same Leafs games we are.

They showed him in the box the past few games and he didn't look pleased.

It's a good team, playing too loose, these are the demons that they need to exercise before they hit the playoffs. Their coach comes out and says, they are a tired team, then the team promptly responds to play like a tired team. Chicken or egg who knows but this team needs to figure out how to push through that wall if they ever want to win a Cup. Lot's of the barriers any person perceives to prevent them from doing something, typically only exist in your head, if you can become mentality tougher, those barriers come down pretty easily. I think it was Ford that once said, if you THINK you can't, you are probably right... the mistakes this team has made over the last 3 games is not a skill thing, its all between the ears... they have all the skill in the world, this team can compete against any team in this league, they don't have all the mental toughness they need.

As the once great modern philosophers Envogue once said .. Free your mind and the rest will follow... ;)

Reactions: hockeywiz542

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Seems to me like Dermott is probably ready to return and they wanted someone to sit in the press box for a bit. Dahlstrom is perfect for that compared to Rubins, who needs to keep playing instead of sitting.

Seney has been very good for the Marlies. A deserved call-up. He reminds me of Tyler Ennis. But I'm getting worried that Mikheyev is never going to be healthy enough to play.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Seems to me like Dermott is probably ready to return and they wanted someone to sit in the press box for a bit. Dahlstrom is perfect for that compared to Rubins, who needs to keep playing instead of sitting.

Seney has been a very good for the Marlies. A deserved call-up. He reminds me of Tyler Ennis. But I'm getting worried that Mikheyev is never going to be healthy enough to play.

Even if Mikheyev returns, we still have another spot open. Clifford and Steeves are far from locks in the lineup right now.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Even if Mikheyev returns, we still have another spot open. Clifford and Steeves are far from locks in the lineup right now.

I'm aware. Seems pretty likely that Steeves will go back down when that happens to make sure he keeps playing and not sit out development time.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
All I remember from Seney is that I didn't like him in the pre-season. However, in the last game or two of the pre-season, he looked better and even scored a very nice goal, if I remember correctly. Hopefully, he does well.

What happened to Menell? I loved that guy's pre-season. Strange.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
All I remember from Seney is that I didn't like him in the pre-season. However, in the last game or two of the pre-season, he looked better and even scored a very nice goal, if I remember correctly. Hopefully, he does well.

What happened to Menell? I loved that guy's pre-season. Strange.
Yeah I thought he looked useful as well. I imagine he'll get the call at some point.

Reactions: Stigma

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
pretty annoyed that they're yanking Rubins that quickly, even if he was pretty bad last game.

Seney is a deserved callup though, and steeves hasn't wowed.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I saw on twitter something like since Nov 6th Holl has been on ice for about 95% of the goals scored on Leafs but clearly Holl is not the issue right? LOL
That's not even close to true. Leafs have 44 GA since November 6th. Holl has been on the ice for 15 GA (34%), which isn't even bad, or most on the team, despite Holl playing big PK minutes.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
After two periods in the NHL, some people were slotting Rubins into our top four, perhaps a lesson in sample size.
Perhaps he deserves a time to play to fit in.
This nonsense of calling up 10 different players looks like
1. You have no concept of their abilities and do not trust evaluations
2. This a Xmas charity

Either us unprofessional

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
That's not even close to true. Leafs have 44 GA since November 6th. Holl has been on the ice for 15 GA (34%), which isn't even bad, or most on the team, despite Holl playing big PK minutes.
Yeah, but Holl is our news guy to blame when the team hasn't played well.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Apparently Seney is on fire in the AHL 16 points in 19 games. Going from memory from an article i read 10G and 6 A in 19 games and this guy is known for being a setup man not a goal scorer. I'd like to see him on PP2 to see if his play making abilities translates to the NHL. Leafs gotta get lucky on some of these found wallets if they want to win a cup.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I saw on twitter something like since Nov 6th Holl has been on ice for about 95% of the goals scored on Leafs but clearly Holl is not the issue right? LOL

Holl has 1 assist and is a +1, if that stat were true, on the ice for 95% of the goals against he would have to be on ice for 95% of the goals scored too... me thinks twitter is not the best place for stats... ?

AngryScotsman

Feb 17, 2013
Northern Ontario
pretty annoyed that they're yanking Rubins that quickly, even if he was pretty bad last game.

Seney is a deserved callup though, and steeves hasn't wowed.

Agreed, however there is nothing wrong with seeing what you have and rewarding guys with an opportunity here and there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad