Recalled/Assigned: Carl Dahlström and Brett Seney recalled from Marlies

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Ewwwwww. Rubins has been fine, certainly a better NHL option than Dahlstrom. Seney has been great with the Marlies so I'm fine with him getting a chance. He was terrible in pre-season though so I don't expect him to stick around for long.

I'm not really sure what Seney is in the NHL. He's not good enough scorer or grinder individually. Could be interesting with Spezza on the 4th I guess.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I think Rubins high risk approach is not what is needed at this time , especially along side Holl. Dahlstrom plays a far more defensive game ... Holl can't be trusted to do any more than his own job right now..even that has been tough for him.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Leafs recall Dahlström, Seney from Marlies; demote Rubīns - Pension Plan Puppets

Carl Dahlström is a 26-year-old journeyman defender, and a big one (6’4”). His scouting reports suggest an edge to his game, but if he has one he’s kept it from showing up in his penalty-minute totals, which have always been modest. Dahlström puts up a few assists at the AHL level but has never scored a goal in 64 NHL games, so maybe his first is coming soon. Dahlström seems likely to slot in at third-pair LD.

Brett Seney, 25, is a small LW who’s had a productive start for the Marlies — he’s currently the team’s highest scoring forward, putting up 10 goals and 6 assists in 19 GP. NHL history is full of small, gifted playmakers who couldn’t quite force their way into a top-six role and struggled to find NHL work, but maybe Seney will buck the odds. Seney did get into 51 GP for the New Jersey Devils in 2018-19, putting up 13 points, but he’s only had two NHL games since. Whether Seney actually gets NHL time remains to be seen.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Dermott is likely coming back, and Dahlstrom wasn't going to play on the Marlies today anyways.

Seney might get into a game or two though. He has played well on the Marlies. He is fast, he has been a threat on both special teams, and I would not be surprised if he could upgrade Clifford in our lineup right now. Give us a 4th line that can actually handle serious minutes.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Dahlstrom seemed to have slow feet in the preseason. To me he seemed competent in terms of defensive zone defending but limited with the puck (eliteprospects claims he's good with the puck). He's got more NHL experience and may know his limitations better than younger players. Rubins struggled on Saturday night against the Hawks' speedy right wingers. Hopefully Dahlstrom is a better fit for the upcoming road trip.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Thought the opportunity for Rubins would have lasted until Dermott's return. Seney being called up is a bit interesting too. That isn't to say that any of this is exactly a big deal either.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Dahlstrom was quite poor in the pre-season. I wonder if we'll see Menell at some point? Looked great in pre-season but doesn't have a great offensive stats line.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Dermott is likely coming back, and Dahlstrom wasn't going to play on the Marlies today anyways.

Seney might get into a game or two though. He has played well on the Marlies. He is fast, he has been a threat on both special teams, and I would not be surprised if he could upgrade Clifford in our lineup right now. Give us a 4th line that can actually handle serious minutes.

That was my guess, Dermott wasn’t supposed to be out very long.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Thought the opportunity for Rubins would have lasted until Dermott's return. Seney being called up is a bit interesting too. That isn't to say that any of this is exactly a big deal either.
It looked to me like Rubins was benched and now he's been sent back down.

Something happened there. Not looking too good for the poor chap.

Reactions: Buds17

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Marlies report: Who's ready for a call-up to the Maple Leafs? - The Athletic

Brett Seney

One way to think about Seney is that he might be this season’s version of Kenny Agostino.

Agostino was an offensive winger in the AHL and had a few NHL stints before getting to the Marlies. He produced at nearly a point-per-game clip during his two Marlies seasons but was only called up for one Leafs game.

After a disappointing 2020-21 season with the Binghamton Devils in which he notched 10 points in 30 games, Seney is so far filling Agostino’s role as a skilled top-line winger. He leads all forwards with nine goals and 14 points in 17 games.

At 5-foot-9, he’s not exactly the most physical player, but he’s shown some tenaciousness off the puck. That’s thanks to the Marlies showing more trust in him in the defensive zone than perhaps he got while in the Devils organization. That, in turn, has helped his confidence and production.

“It’s always nice to get that fresh start in a new organization and get a new set of eyes on you,” said Seney, who was drafted in the sixth round of the 2015 NHL draft. “For (six years), you tend to hear the same thing over and over again. When you do get a fresh set of eyes on you and you’re working with a different staff and working with different development coaches, they see things that maybe the other team didn’t.”

One interesting element of Seney’s time with the Marlies is how, while only 25, he’s become a leading veteran voice on a team of developing players. Could that maturity help his cause with a possible Leafs call-up?

“If you had to ask me, without knowing, I wouldn’t guess he was 25. He is very mature for his age. He definitely has a lot of leadership qualities and just professional qualities,” said Marlies head coach Greg Moore.

He’s taken the time to have multiple in-depth conversations with Semyon Der-Arguchintsev and Mikhail Abramov and has come to more of an understanding of what will land him time with the Leafs.

“You’ve got to be able to be responsible defensively. And you have got to have that trust where, if you need a goal, the team’s able to get you out there. But if you’re trying to hold on to lead, they also trust that you can also play the right way,” Seney said.

Carl Dahlstrom

There haven’t been a lot of surprises with the 26-year-old defenceman this season, and there probably wouldn’t be in the event of a call-up. He’s a plug-and-play veteran of 64 NHL games with the Blackhawks and Jets.

One of the stories of Dahlstrom’s season lately has been how Moore has continually played Dahlstrom alongside young defenders, including Joey Duszak and Matt Hellickson.

Dahlstrom can read plays reasonably well and use his size (6-foot-4, 222 pounds) when needed. He’s not a flashy player, which is why he’s often also been paired with more inexperienced, offensively-minded defencemen this season like Mac Hollowell and Noel Hoefenmayer. All of Dahlstrom’s three assists this season came in one game on Nov. 27. For that reason, I can’t see Keefe wanting to give him a ton of playing time.

His versatility makes him attractive though, as he can play both the left and the right side on defence. Dahlstrom sees himself making more of an impact defensively on the left side and offensively on the right side.

“It makes me more agile and coaches can put me in all these different types of situations,” said Dahlstrom.

He’s probably in contention for a call-up with 33-year-old right shot defenceman Alex Biega, who has 241 games of NHL experience with the Canucks and Red Wings. Dahlstrom might have the edge because of his mobility and his size, but Biega’s smarts put him in the conversation too.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Seney is an energetic player. A sort of Kerfoot-lite. Played college hockey with Mike Babcock's son at Merrimack. Speaking of Kerfoot, I'm wondering if that knee/leg hit he took on Saturday night might be the reason for this recall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad