LeBrun: Carey Price waives his NMC for the expansion draft (Update: he's getting hip surgery)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
if your worried about cap space 10.5 million. Just take price and not take another name you were willing to take prior to
finding out price was available . For instance i would rather have price then a combination of :
james van rymsdyk + alex kerfoot - over 10 million in cap space right there for example.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Friedman is speculating that Montreal left Price exposed as almost a spite move directed at Seattle because of their ask to stay away from Allen. Seattle asked for a 2nd and a prospect to not take Allen and Montreal said no. Montreal played this card but they may be regretting it at this point, because Seattle may call their bluff and take Price. Friedman doesn't seem to know what Price thinks, it seems like people think it can be either "Price is doing the Habs a favor" or "Price is fine with leaving".

Seattle taking Price makes sense because Price wants to have an even regular season split with another goalie. He really liked working with Allen and wanted to be fully rested once the playoffs start. Seattle can do that with a Price-Driedger tandem.
The price Habs fans kept hearing was a 1st and a 3rd which is a hell no. Glad MB did this to spite the Kraken. Its a win win situation for the Habs anyways.

Reactions: Agalloch

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
I would love to see a sabres fan claiming we’re gonna win it all at any point in the last ten years lol. We’re very self aware and generally pessimistic of everything the team does
Well, you’ve got this fan who posted claiming that with Buffalo’s core, they “can’t possibly mess it up”
Did Buffalo just cement a championship core?

Or this thread of a fan asking if others think Buffalo is a top 5 team, only to be laughed at by pretty much everyone.
The Buffalo Sabres are a TOP 5 team

Even the players are hopping in “guaranteeing” they’ll make the playoffs.
Rasmus Dahlin guarantees team will make playoffs

And those links were with about 3 minutes of searching lol...

Every year it’s the same with Sabres fans. Here, I’ll give you the step by step formula.

1. Coming off another disappointing season, Buffalo acquires some big piece(s) either via trade, draft, or FA.
2. They have either a mediocre start to the season, or string together 6/7 wins in the first 10 games.
3. Fans begin planning the parade, posting the same “It’s time to talk about the Buffalo Sabres” threads.
4. Buffalo goes into a free fall and drops to a bottom 5 team
5. Deadline sellers/hope for lottery pick.

repeat formula next season.

Reactions: Sinistril

Go19

Jun 21, 2019
Friedman is speculating that Montreal left Price exposed as almost a spite move directed at Seattle because of their ask to stay away from Allen. Seattle asked for a 2nd and a prospect to not take Allen and Montreal said no. Montreal played this card but they may be regretting it at this point, because Seattle may call their bluff and take Price. Friedman doesn't seem to know what Price thinks, it seems like people think it can be either "Price is doing the Habs a favor" or "Price is fine with leaving".

Seattle taking Price makes sense because Price wants to have an even regular season split with another goalie. He really liked working with Allen and wanted to be fully rested once the playoffs start. Seattle can do that with a Price-Driedger tandem.
Can't see them spending 14M on goaltending - that is just nuts

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If I am Ron Francis, I am selecting Price, without a doubt. Also, Kahkonen.

I would possibly also take Holtby as a stop gap until Price is ready.

They're already signing Driedger for $3.5m.

That would mean they are taking almost $20m worth of goalies.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Again, people are saying that 14M in goaltending isn't happening, but if they select Carey Price, it's not just for his play on the ice. It's a unique situation right now. Believe me, if they pick him, they will sell him as their franchise player and the face of this team. They will milk every last penny of that big contract with their marketing.

Now, the question is: How much of their cap space are they ready to burn to add a big name like Carey Price? If they believe he is still worth 7/5 years, and decide that they don't mind burning 3.5M of cap space for everything he brings, they will go for it.

They want to start selling jersey right when they annonce the team. If it's true that they intend to flip Tarasenko right away, who will they pick that will be a big enough name for them to market the team around? Maybe Giordano? Eberle/Bailey aren't really superstars (they are like Perron/Marchessault with Vegas), Gourde is a good 2-3C. Maybe a trade or a UFA, but Carey Price is the biggest name they can market in the list of player available.

Go19

Jun 21, 2019
Isn't Montreal doing the same exact thing?
Sorry - should have qualified that(dang work) - I mean for the Kraken as a new franchise. They need the room to build the team and in the future across the board. Spending that much now for goaltending makes no sense to me.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
...Habs had over $15 mill tied up in goaltending this year and went to the Finals...not necessarily the wisest of moves, but it can work out just fine...

I feel like this year should put to death the you can't win with expensive goalie arguments. Out of the final 4 teams 3 of them were spending over 10 million on their primary Tandem

Habs
14.85 million
Knights
12 million
Tampa
10.2 million
Nyi
7 million (one was a $2 million rookie)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
...Habs had over $15 mill tied up in goaltending this year and went to the Finals...not necessarily the wisest of moves, but it can work out just fine...

They only made the playoffs due to being in a 7 team division. Montreal had the league's 18th best record, one point ahead of the Flyers who had a terrible season.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
They only made the playoffs due to being in a 7 team division. Montreal had the league's 18th best record, one point ahead of the Flyers who had a terrible season.
Playoffs and a finals run... something flyers haven't had in a long while

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I feel like this year should put to death the you can't win with expensive goalie arguments. Out of the final 4 teams 3 of them were spending over 10 million on their primary Tandem

Habs
14.85 million
Knights
12 million
Tampa
10.2 million
Nyi
7 million (one was a $2 million rookie)
Tampa has all their chips on vasi. This year is an exception considering how much of a powerhouse they were but in any other season if vasi is out for a week in the playoffs I don't think Tampa can win a round with their backup.

Go19

Jun 21, 2019
Don't forget an unfortunate knee to the head of Tavares as a factor as well.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Montreal loses in the first round without Price and any sort of distribution of his salary. Price is the reason the team got where it did
Thats 100% correct. but imagine if we could score more than 0 goals, then we may not need 10.5 in the net

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal

Habs had a season filled with major injuries, playing the worst schedule in the league (25 games in the last 40 days or something) all while having to travel from the east to the west coast constantly. The team was much better then their regular season record, which was proved by their first 10 games and most importantly by them getting to the Stanley up final

Flyers had a terrible season because their Coach sucks, their goalies decided to take a year off and their D corps lacks experience

MomoSissokko

Feb 16, 2010
if your worried about cap space 10.5 million. Just take price and not take another name you were willing to take prior to
finding out price was available . For instance i would rather have price then a combination of :
james van rymsdyk + alex kerfoot - over 10 million in cap space right there for example.

Drouin and Tatar have similar combined cap hit than Price. How many points scored they in playoffs ?

For me it's a no-brainer for Kraken pick Price, even there are some risk's.
But no risk, no fun ;)

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Two things to bring up here:

First, Habs missed the playoffs as the 14th place team a couple years ago, it's how the rules work sometimes it'll cost you sometimes it'll help.

Second, comparing records across the league this year is incredibly stupid considering teams didn't play the same teams so the points aren't the same. We'll know next year how the Canadian division teams compare.

Reactions: Steeler23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad