Confirmed Trade: [CAR/WSH] Evgeny Kuznetsov (50% Retained) for 2025 3rd Round Pick

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
My only gripe here is we should have gotten a 2nd involved to get retention down to 75%. Pay an extra mid pick to get that done but then it’s truly no risk. I guess at 50% the buyout isn’t much at all so if it really doesn’t work out the Canes can go that route or be the ones retaining to send him somewhere and maybe recoup the pick

Would have cost a 2nd round pick to have a third team broker retain 25%—roughly $2.25M in real dollars.

Clearly not worth it when Carolina is only giving up a 3rd for the 50% retention on Kuznetsov.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Lol ok that's really funny. I knew Kuzy was a funny guy, but I didn't expect him to be so open about not wanting to push that hard. Tbh, I get it. It may not be appreciated in sports, but as a human, it totally makes sense to do enough to be really good, but to not be ready to push that extra mile and to want to enjoy life a little instead.

Would have been great if he had decided to enjoy life with a hike in the mountains instead of cocaine in a club.

Oh well.
so the club is an issue. where do you prefer to enjoy your cocaine?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I have so many mixed feelings about this one:

It's a good flier to take if you're Carolina, because if he really does just need a new fresh start you got a ridiculously talented player for a third. Like naturally just going to blow you away if he's actually doing it, man practically invented a pass in a league that has seen everything and can somehow gain the zone without moving his feet half the time.

At the same time, that runway was all the way gone in Washington, and who knows for what reason overall but his participation in the program suggests it wasn't something easily fixed. Lord knows they tried to give him minutes this season and it just didn't take, but maybe that's part of the problem and he's trying to perform without his performance enhancer, or relapsing but not seeing the same benefits.

That's mild speculation but the point is a new limited role in a new team could help him get his wheels back on and actually pull out of this. Being with Orlov should help, because he seems like a straighter-laced dude and they've got the type of history for him to be babysat and really pull it together...

At the same time as that, I really hope the Hurricanes don't reactivate that Kuznetsov because he's a world-beater and it would be really f***ing irritating.

But at the same time as that part I don't want to root against a guy who is struggling and honestly doesn't deserve any real ire.

Man, f*** this trade. I want to be on the "good end" but I also just want him to be okay and maybe play okay instead of being the complete garbage we saw these last two years... but also if that means he just quit then f*** him again a little.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Most played out/predictable/ unfunny HFboards jokes of 2024:

1. Bedard mom jokes

2. Kuznetsov/cocaine double entendres

3. Phil Kessel hotdog jokes, which are somehow still being made

Am I missing any?
All the pre-TDL signed ELCs probably were too much term. I won't check up.

Reactions: Tryamw

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Never know he's wanted out of Washington for years it seems like he could be a good get for another team

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Back to business as usual for Carolina. Trying to "win" the deadline gambling on "cheap" distressed assets.

But hey...if Kuzy was still half the player he used to be, this would be a great pickup for a team that badly needs a #2C. I just don't have big expectations for a guy with some...errr..."problems" suddenly getting back on track and turning it around in time for the playoffs. But we'll see. It's not like they paid a lot. Though being on the hook for even half salary @ $3.9M next year is...risky.
You rite.

This move is for team with big balls, not little shrivly ones.

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
I thought he looked pretty good against NJ. I mean, that's not saying much but I think the Canes did well here if Kuzy can find some consistency.

Reactions: DaveG

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
That is true. Having said that, his final stat line is funny and advanced stat vary from average to very bad. So it's really interesting what "great" things slipped through the seems here.
A half dozen grade A scoring chances that just weren’t quite finished, penalties drawn where we scored on ensuing PP, the goal against was Freddie passing it directly to a Flame in front of his own net while he was behind the net. Stat watchers are a joke. The game is played on the ice not with a calculator

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
A definite clash of styles, player vs. team. Add in some general rust and there will be an adjustment period. Effort looks good, though.

Guentzel will bump him from the 1st PP, sending Aho back to the half wall. Canes can’t have stagnant movement and expect to score. There’s no OV one-timer in the lineup.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
A half dozen grade A scoring chances that just weren’t quite finished, penalties drawn where we scored on ensuing PP, the goal against was Freddie passing it directly to a Flame in front of his own net while he was behind the net. Stat watchers are a joke. The game is played on the ice not with a calculator
Take it easy, we aren't making a Western here. I'm glad he played well to some degree but at the end of the day he has zeroes to show for after 2 games his team scored 11 goals in. The tone you are using reeks of continuous hopium which has made this trade happen in the first place.

Maybe he will break out, will be amazing again and Canes will look like geniuses. But so far it is what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad