Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
They went to the finals with KK scratched and Evans injured. They lost Danault but they have Poehling coming up from a PPG season in the AHL and pacquette for the 4th line.

Not ideal in the slightest but on the other hand they have great winger depth
For a short time in playoffs it might be ok but fir and entire season running with that kind of C depth isn’t ideal

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yeah I don't really get the Glengarry Glen Ross speeches in here about how the Canes just taught Bergevin a lesson. If Montreal doesn't match they've signed a 3C for 6.1M after letting Hamilton walk. I'd be pretty frustrated as a Canes fan if this is how the front office wanted to spend their money.

The Glengarry Glenross speech is the key to life. And apparently hockey.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Carolina’s lines if Bergevin doesn’t match.

Line 1 LW Kotkaniemi C Aho RW Teravainen
Line 2 LW Svechnikov C Trocheck RW Necas
Line 3 LW Niederreiter C Staal RW Fast
Line 4 LW Leivo C Lorentz RW Martinook

1st Pair LD Slavin RD Pesce
2nd Pair LD Skjei RD Bear
3rd Pair LD Cole RD DeAngelo

Goalies:
Starter: Andersen
Backup: Raanta

Scratches:
LD/RD Smith
-
C Stepan < Bury in minors
LD Gardiner < Bury in minors

Pointed Finger

Feb 25, 2012
I think Bergevin can not and should not match.

The value of a young, talented player in the NHL of today is all in the money.
At 6 million, you have to look at UFAs that could be signed or traded for at a similar value.
He is NOT a young player who has played out of this world and has value at 6. Instead, the 6 million represents the hope of improvement only.

Not only this, but the young player has put the organization in an extremely poor situtation. How do the other players view this move? If they match, it sets a poor precendent. We are not talking about a Sebastian Aho who had largely proved himself to be a certain star and would be matched at a market rate. We are talking about a player who showed sparks and would go in and out of the line-up. Someone whose dollar market value is half of the offer. How is he viewing himself to have made this move? What level of spite is the player himself holding toward the Canadiens?

You take the 1st and 3rd.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
a lot can happen in 4 years or even 3, i.e. Both Aho at KK will be UFA.
It's about the 1st. Not the rest. If you're happy with a late 1st that won't be anything for 4 years, so be it.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Montreal fans are huffing the copium, LOL. A 6M offer sheet basically means they have to pay him 6M for the rest of his RFA years or they lose him for nothing. No more cheap bridge deals even if they match. That hurts Montreal more than it could backfire on Carolina who has tons of cap room.

Yeah, Kotkaniemi wasn't setting the world on fire, but he was decent and he played an important position for them. A late 1st in 2022 is 3 years away from contributing at a minimum, and it hurts Montreal's ability to be competitive next season. They have an "old" roster and this is going to be hard to fix otherwise.

They've now lost Danault and Weber as major loses (and Price is going to have surgery) . Drouin is a complete wildcard. Tatar, Perry, and Staal are gone. Obviously some of them were more important in the regular season than the playoffs, but adding Hoffman, Wideman, Savard, and Paquette are almost all significant downgrades on the guys they replaced. Losing Kotkaniemi is not a good look for them.

What is their center depth if they don't match? Suzuki - ??? - ??? - Paquette?
Byron can take face offs.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
To anyone thinking MTL cannot match because of cap, well if they shift Byron and Weber to LTIR now, as capfriendly has it, then send one of their ELCs to the minors (matching this offer sheet would lead to MTL being over the 10% cushion by ~$300K), they have the room to match. Can Bergevin afford not to match? I don't think so. Giving up the 3OA pick after 3 years for what will likely be a pick in the 20's and a third-rounder is terrible value and Bargainbin needs to do better (develop your draft picks).

Great deal for KK, hope he does get out of MTL after how they have treated many young players (Mete, Romanov, KK) over the past few years. I get wanting to go for it and trusting your vets, but they really don't give a lot of young players room to grow in games unless they are already at a high level. KK (how come we never called him JK, missed opportunities) can get a chance to play up in the lineup and possibly prove us wrong. The guy has some skill but has been buried (not saying it was not justified, just stating the truth).

For Carolina, love the troll, not sure what the significance of a $20 SB is, and if they can get their guy, good on them. In the meantime, CAR can send down a pair of players, say Jake Gardiner and Josh Leivo, and they are under the cap with Brendan Smith serving as their 13F and 7D at the same time. CAR probably tries to trade Gardiner again unless they want to move on from Nino Niederreiter or Trochek. It is a pretty full house over there.

20 is Sebastian Aho’s jersey number.

Reactions: kij

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
If I’m Bergevin, I take the picks and then have Habs Twitter ask for Carolinas Venmo deets saying they’ll cover his signing bonus as an added f*** you lol.
6 mil for a meh 3rd liner hardly seems like “revenge”

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
$20.00 signing bonus
tenor.gif

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
I think Bergevin can not and should not match.

The value of a young, talented player in the NHL of today is all in the money.
At 6 million, you have to look at UFAs that could be signed or traded for at a similar value.
He is NOT a young player who has played out of this world and has value at 6. Instead, the 6 million represents the hope of improvement only.

Not only this, but the young player has put the organization in an extremely poor situtation. How do the other players view this move? If they match, it sets a poor precendent. We are not talking about a Sebastian Aho who had largely proved himself to be a certain star and would be matched at a market rate. We are talking about a player who showed sparks and would go in and out of the line-up. Someone whose dollar market value is half of the offer. How is he viewing himself to have made this move? What level of spite is the player himself holding toward the Canadiens?

You take the 1st and 3rd.
The guy doesn’t owe any loyalty to Montreal, everyone is signing the 6 mill and his teammates understand that

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Montreal fans are huffing the copium, LOL. A 6M offer sheet basically means they have to pay him 6M for the rest of his RFA years or they lose him for nothing. No more cheap bridge deals even if they match. That hurts Montreal more than it could backfire on Carolina who has tons of cap room.
They're actually over the cap if Montreal doesn't match this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad