Confirmed with Link: [CAR/FLA] Scott Darling + 2020 6th Round Pick for James Reimer

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The Canes could have immediately bought out Reimer and saved a couple million over the course of the buyouts. Florida just wanted short-term breathing room.

Can't imagine the Canes would get much in a Reimer trade though. Even if they retained. Maybe they trade in a few more chips similar to De Haan to get rid of him.

I mean, it's entirely possible that a front office full of smart people who work on this stuff full-time have a more fully realized plan than a bunch of message board goobers, right?

In the past, perhaps not. But now, quite likely, I'd say.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The Canes could have immediately bought out Reimer and saved a couple million over the course of the buyouts. Florida just wanted short-term breathing room.

Can't imagine the Canes would get much in a Reimer trade though. Even if they retained. Maybe they trade in a few more chips similar to De Haan to get rid of him.
Except they wouldn’t. Reimer has a large signing bonus next season. Both buyouts are around the same money. Buying out Reimer would be 400k cheaper this season and season 3 & 4. It would be more expensive next season.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

The contract isn't great, but he's a very competent 1B or #2 option, and once the goalie carousel dust settles there's always a team or two still looking for one of those guys. We may not get much, but I don't think we'll have to pay anybody to take him either.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I have no idea what kind of organization Canes have, but based on the few last trades and the impressive last season, this team is looking explosive and very entertaining. The fact that "good guys" are picked, can take you a long way imo.

Reactions: Hockyluv21

pled

Sep 7, 2009
They don't plan to keep him or to start him. so they are still aiming for another starter

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I thought Toronto got our 2020 6th. We did give the 7th then?

Reactions: MinJerkBen

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I thought Toronto got our 2020 6th. We did give the 7th then?

It's Buffalo's 6th rounder that the Canes got in the Skinner trade that Dundon/Waddell are now giving to Florida. I'm now betting that they're going to find some team who will take a retained Reimer for their 6th or something of that nature.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I mean, it's entirely possible that a front office full of smart people who work on this stuff full-time have a more fully realized plan than a bunch of message board goobers, right?

In the past, perhaps not. But now, quite likely, I'd say.

Last season’s fully realized plan was Mrazek & Darling, while praying something fell in their laps off the waiver wire. Fortunately Toronto chose Sparks and Carolina chose McElhinney over Pickard.

I like this move. As pointed out earlier, it’s a cheap gamble on Reimer if they keep him for this season as a backup. I like him there much more than Forsberg. If they move him we will see what comes of the backup slot.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's Buffalo's 6th rounder that the Canes got in the Skinner trade that Dundon/Waddell are now giving to Florida. I'm now betting that they're going to find some team who will take a retained Reimer for their 6th or something of that nature.
That's practically a fifth!

Or in Canes' case, late sixth and two sevenths.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Emotional rollercoaster. Wife gets notification of trade in car: “oh wow, Hurricanes acquire James Reimer from Florida.”

Me: “oh, oh no.”

Twitter: “for Scott Darling.”

Me: “oh, oh yes.”
"Your helmet is so big..."

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Carolina Hurricanes, a team of Finns and backup goalies?

Dunno what more do you need in life to success though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad