Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] F Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs extension with Hurricanes (8 years, $4.82M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Either you can't read or want to make up a narrative.

Majority of Canes fans feel that if he ends up only being a 3rd liner, the contract he signed is fine for that role, especially with the cap going up.
If he develops into more than that (ie...a 2nd liner), his contract will be a bargain.
If he flops totally, the buyout is minimal ($800K cap hit each year and $11M in real dollars).

I'm a Canes fan that didn't like the offer sheet and am skeptical of his potential, but I recognize the economics of it aren't really that bad.
The one I was replying to said

"Lol. 4m guy needs to lead his team to the Cup to justify his cap. Never change hfboards."

So first he is more of a 5m guy, especially if you take into account the 6.1 year.

And then to be worth it, he'll have to be worth a least a bit more than 5m, because last year he wasn't worth of his 6.1 and doesn't look to be worth 4.8 this year either. It's way too early to judge though, I'll give you that.

And I'm not making narratives, I can't believe Canes would've gone through all that in the hope he becomes a 3rd liner.

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
They did the same thing with Shane Wright... So lame.

Might be hard to grasp for Canes fans but some fanbases on this forum have more than 20 active users and thus different members of the same fanbase hold different viewpoints.

Crazy.

• Haha
Reactions: BarracudaMtl

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The one I was replying to said

"Lol. 4m guy needs to lead his team to the Cup to justify his cap. Never change hfboards."

So first he is more of a 5m guy, especially if you take into account the 6.1 year.

And then to be worth it, he'll have to be worth a least a bit more than 5m, because last year he wasn't worth of his 6.1 and doesn't look to be worth 4.8 this year either. It's way too early to judge though, I'll give you that.
First off, the guy you responded to isn't a Canes fans. Secondly, the $6.1 is sunk cost and irrelevant to this contract. This thread is about his current contract. Thirdly, very few, if any Canes fans are saying "he'll suck for 4 years but has so much potential he'll be worth it in the last 4 years." That's the comment I responded to from you.

His contract isn't outrageous today if he's only a 3C. It's certainly on the high end, I don't dispute that. 2nd line Centers signing today are getting $5.5M or more, for the most part. Like I said, it's certainly on the high end, but not outrageous and will be likely be average for a 3C in a year or two.

Like I said, majority of Canes fans are saying If he's a decent 3C, his contract is fine today and in the future and he'll be worth it. if he develops into a 2C, his contract will be a steal. That's a far cry from "he'll suck for 4 years but has so much potential he'll be worth it in the last 4 years."

And I'm not making narratives, I can't believe Canes would've gone through all that in the hope he becomes a 3rd liner.

I certainly agree that the Canes management thinks he has 2C potential in him that's why they made the move and why he started the year off there. Personally, I didn't like the move (offer sheet) then and I'm skeptical of his ability to become more than a 3C long term, but as you said, it may be too early to judge. I don't see it in his game. I'm in the minority of Canes fans that feels this way (Bleedgreen and a few others are of the same mindset), but I can also recognize that economics of his deal.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Might be hard to grasp for Canes fans but some fanbases on this forum have more than 20 active users and thus different members of the same fanbase hold different viewpoints.

Crazy.
The reason habs fans are so f***ing invested to a player that left is because he signed an offer sheet to play elsewhere. He signed a deal to play elsewhere, not in MONTREAL. That's what pisses mtl fans off and why they continue to be psychopathic about Kotkaniemi. Seriously, move the f*** on.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Crazy.

Ah, you know a thread's reached it's end when the condescending small market team fanbase comments come out. Kudos to you for responding to a Habs fan's comment with it though.

Oh and a tip. go read about Kotkaniemi on the Canes forum. Some of our "20 active users" actually hold different views, as hard as that is for you to grasp. ;)

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Waiver wire fodder in a couple years, except he comes with a massive contract relative to what he’s worth, so there won’t be any takers. Any Canes fans who aren’t feeling buyer’s remorse by now are in denial. Carolina took a gamble and lost; that’s pretty clear by now. Extremely stupid move to give an 8 year contract to a player of his calibre. That was Dundon doubling down on his mistake out of pride and pettiness.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
The reason habs fans are so f***ing invested to a player that left is because he signed an offer sheet to play elsewhere. He signed a deal to play elsewhere, not in MONTREAL. That's what pisses mtl fans off and why they continue to be psychopathic about Kotkaniemi. Seriously, move the f*** on.
Is there a better place than HF to speculate about the future of an enigmatic prospect involved in a very unusual transaction?

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Still enjoying the 180 Montreal fans did on this kid.
The majority of Montreal fans bashed him. He was considered one of the many blunders of the Bergevin administration.
Demoted to what? Play with the wings that normally play on the 1st line?
Dude played 13 mins on a line with Jarvis.
It might sound crazy but pro sports is entertainment. If fans hold a grudge for something petty, it's their business.

Last edited:

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013

You're barking up the wrong tree mate, I've been wanting the kid gone ever since our front office made the ridiculous draft overreach.

If Canes fans are happy with his current deal that's up to them, I couldn't care less to change their minds. My opinion is that he's obviously currently overpaid, but it's not like contracts exist in a vacuum.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Waiver wire fodder in a couple years, except he comes with a massive contract relative to what he’s worth, so there won’t be any takers. Any Canes fans who aren’t feeling buyer’s remorse by now are in denial. Carolina took a gamble and lost; that’s pretty clear by now. Extremely stupid move to give an 8 year contract to a player of his calibre. That was Dundon doubling down on his mistake out of pride and pettiness.
1667165972429.jpeg

Reactions: FlyguyOX

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
The point is some MTL fan will keep on bumping this and other Kotkaniemi-related threads as they will remain pissed off this BAD PLAYER signed an offersheet.
Ducks had Justin Schultz recently choose to become a college UFA after not signing. It did piss me off of how the system works, but I didn't continue bumping threads when he had bad games elsewhere as that is the definition of being a childish hockey fan.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Good example of taking trolling too far and having it come back to bite you in the ass.
A 22 year old middle six C on a bargain long term contract?

Im laughing that habs still think this turned out badly for Carolina

Last edited:

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
offersheets stem from animosity, and result in animosity. animosity between player and GM. animosity between agent and GM. animosity between player and teammates, player and fanbase. animosity between GMs

nothing wrong with it. makes for an entertaining league.

im a little hurt that after the excitement of the cup run he decided to jump ship. but at the same time, he was scratched to start the playoffs. he was a 3rd OA pick, and he saw guys like suzuki and caufield jump him in the depth chart. jumped him in the public's perception. he saw the locker room looking more and more to Suzuki and Caufield. i wouldn't have blamed him for feeling slighted. it would make sense to me if he felt a certain degree of animosity.

being an RFA, he had certain rights, and he used those rights to seek a better deal, and a better situation than he felt he had in Montreal

a little business. a little personal.

good on him for getting that bag. i hope he has a bad time in Carolina, and I hope they come to regret it. it's all in the game

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
KK's attitude is what will hold him from getting better.

Always blame shifting for his failures isn't a good mental state to get better.

Canes got caught in their need for revenge on this one.

Want it or not, Canes owner seems like a very proud man.
It has helped the Canes in a sense that their owner's personality influenced the organizational culture (the jerks thing): they are agressive, combative and self confident, not afraid to do things differently.
But in the meantime, like him they (the organization) can be impulsive and take decisions based on ego and emotions.
Fans acting like they know the intricacies of a players personality and attitude and their affect on their play is f***ing hilarious

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I didn’t even mention dollar amount. But now that you bring it up, that sucks too. Even when the cap goes up enough to be a spoonful of sugar to this bitter medicine contract, it stinks regardless. Just a puzzling situation and having trouble wrapping my head around why the canes felt the need to lock him down while it seems like he’s a 30 point guy.
Coming from a devils fan who overpaid the hell out of weird old man Hamilton is hilarious

Reactions: Svechhammer

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Sounds like you should take your own advice. Relax. It'll be OK.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Maybe the thread should just be locked.
This thread should have been locked months ago

KK is centering one of the most offensively potent lines in the league right now. The criticisms being levied in here about him aren't even based in reality anymore, and it's bordering on insanity.

Lock this down. It's served it's purpose and is now just an echo chamber of trolling

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
First off, the guy you responded to isn't a Canes fans. Secondly, the $6.1 is sunk cost and irrelevant to this contract. This thread is about his current contract. Thirdly, very few, if any Canes fans are saying "he'll suck for 4 years but has so much potential he'll be worth it in the last 4 years." That's the comment I responded to from you.

His contract isn't outrageous today if he's only a 3C. It's certainly on the high end, I don't dispute that. 2nd line Centers signing today are getting $5.5M or more, for the most part. Like I said, it's certainly on the high end, but not outrageous and will be likely be average for a 3C in a year or two.

Like I said, majority of Canes fans are saying If he's a decent 3C, his contract is fine today and in the future and he'll be worth it. if he develops into a 2C, his contract will be a steal. That's a far cry from "he'll suck for 4 years but has so much potential he'll be worth it in the last 4 years."

I certainly agree that the Canes management thinks he has 2C potential in him that's why they made the move and why he started the year off there. Personally, I didn't like the move (offer sheet) then and I'm skeptical of his ability to become more than a 3C long term, but as you said, it may be too early to judge. I don't see it in his game. I'm in the minority of Canes fans that feels this way (Bleedgreen and a few others are of the same mindset), but I can also recognize that economics of his deal.

I was really disappointed when he was still a Hab. Yes people will always say he's still young, but it seems to me that very good players show some kind of greatness even in their rookie year. We've seen flashes of good, but nothing that made me fall off my chair. He seems like a good kid though so I can't cheer against him ever and I'll never blame him to sign the OS either, it was the move to make for him.

But even though he's a good guy, I don't think he'll ever be good enough to be worth his salary, even when the cap goes up.

And yes the buyout makes gives this signing a little more sense. At the same time, the fact that we are already mentionning it isn't a good sign.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
The only side who wins in all this is KK. Unfortunately I don't see a top 6 center in KK and Montreal spent the picks on Dvorak who hasn't really panned out either. Winner KK around 30M earned by the time he's 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad