Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] F Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs extension with Hurricanes (8 years, $4.82M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Well he put up 34 points as an 18 year old, while Dach has a career high 26 points.

I think you're just a homer.
That's what Dach did in Chicago. I am not fairly with their development system. Same group who muffed on Danault.

KK we knew he never had the hands to be top 6. He was likely fringe NHLer. Dach we only had for 8 games so far. I don't know yet. But doubt he will be any better.

• Haha
Reactions: EquivalentStay

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That's what Dach did in Chicago. I am not fairly with their development system. Same group who muffed on Danault.

KK we knew he never had the hands to be top 6. He was likely fringe NHLer. Dach we only had for 8 games so far. I don't know yet. But doubt he will be any better.
This guy didn't have the hands?

He's playing as a 2C on a top team in the league as a 22 year old. He's going to be a good player for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
As a canes fan the new comparison to JStaal when he was their 2C is embarrassing as Staal was disappointing as a 2C. He also scored more than Koko while being miles better defensively. He belongs at 3C just as Koko does. Koko’s not doing anything special but he’s not hurting his line either. Those two he’s playing with are carrying the team. He chips pucks out of the zone and does his best to not make mistakes. The faceoffs are the best thing he’s doing this season. It’s not like he’s setting up the two studs or drawing attention away from them.

The salary doesn’t hurt us though so I don’t really care about that. He’s still young but there’s no reason to think he’s going to be a significant scorer. He could be a very sound 3C as he gets experience. He’s not paid out of whack for that.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As a canes fan the new comparison to JStaal when he was their 2C is embarrassing as Staal was disappointing as a 2C. He also scored more than Koko while being miles better defensively. He belongs at 3C just as Koko does. Koko’s not doing anything special but he’s not hurting his line either. Those two he’s playing with are carrying the team. He chips picks out of the zone and does his best to not make mistakes. The faceoffs are the best thing he’s doing this season. It’s not like he’s setting up the two studs or drawing attention away from them.

The salary doesn’t hurt us though so I don’t really care about that. He’s still young but there’s no reason to think he’s going to be a significant scorer. He could be a very sound 3C as he gets experience. He’s not paid out of whack for that.
as a Canes fan, +1

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
As a canes fan the new comparison to JStaal when he was their 2C is embarrassing as Staal was disappointing as a 2C. He also scored more than Koko while being miles better defensively. He belongs at 3C just as Koko does. Koko’s not doing anything special but he’s not hurting his line either. Those two he’s playing with are carrying the team. He chips picks out of the zone and does his best to not make mistakes. The faceoffs are the best thing he’s doing this season. It’s not like he’s setting up the two studs or drawing attention away from them.

Yeah, ~$5 mill for a third liner that can move up the lineup ain’t bad. In 5 years or so it’ll prolly be a steal of a deal if the cap keeps rising

Reactions: Njfj and bleedgreen

Deon Thompson

Feb 27, 2022
He was a teenager lol. He's now centering the 2nd line on a top team in the league.

So so petty.
O'er the hills and mountains, and to Amerikay. . . He's very much the third wheel on that line, just to be clear. He ain't holding it back by any means, he's helping, but he ain't driving too much of its success either. Overall, I think he's a decent player on a fair contract, with some, but not too much, upside.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
He was a teenager lol. He's now centering the 2nd line on a top team in the league.

So so petty.
Sugarcoat it much lol. He has 1 assist so far. Another assessment would be "he's being put there for the lack of better options".

Imagine if that line had an actual 2C. KK is a huge downgrade from Trocheck, that's how I see it.

For now he's probably an ok 3C or a good 4C.

Reactions: Colezuki

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
KK we could tell, he never top 6 skills. Dach we don't know yet. But odds are he is third line winger
Dach is the same age as when Kotkaniemi was traded. They've played a similar number of NHL games up to that point in their careers, 161 vs 190.

Just some food for thought.

Anyway Kotkaniemi is pretty meh and will probably get dragged to ~40 ES points just by being between Svechnikov and Necas. But the Canes can buy him out for less than League minimum before July 6th, 2026 and he has no trade protection until 2025, then a 10 team no trade list. In other words they can make him go away easily if he fails to improve. The whinging over the contract is silly.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Dach is the same age as when Kotkaniemi was traded. They've played a similar number of NHL games before this year, 161 vs 190.

Just some food for thought.

Anyway Kotkaniemi is pretty meh and will probably get dragged to ~40 ES points just by being between Svechnikov and Necas. But the Canes can buy him out for less than League minimum before July 6th, 2026 and he has no trade protection until 2025, then a 10 team no trade list. In other words they can make him go away easily if he fails to improve. The whinging over the contract is silly.
KK has played 244 games to Dach's 160. That's not a similar number of games. Not even close.

Why do people make shit up?

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Who cares about any of these players, they all suck and the Canadiens have the new GOAT, Sean Monahan

• Love
Reactions: the

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Funny how things change on these boards. for Habs fans when KK was on the team he was the future at C now meh while the Canes fans said he would be a bust but now he is their cornerstone at C. Strange what a change of jersey does.
When were canes fans saying Kotkaniemi would be a bust? Why would we have been talking about him at all when he was on Montreal :laugh:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
KK has played 244 games to Dach's 160. That's not a similar number of games. Not even close.

Why do people make shit up?
I'm counting games up to when Kotkaniemi was signed to Carolina, since the post I quoted was implicitly making the comparison between Kotkaniemi then and Dach now.

At that time Kotkaniemi had played 190 games, including playoffs. Though I missed his rookie playoffs, it's actually 200 games.

I did mispeak in the post, so your rudeness is forgiven. I've corrected it now.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Funny how things change on these boards. for Habs fans when KK was on the team he was the future at C now meh while the Canes fans said he would be a bust but now he is their cornerstone at C. Strange what a change of jersey does.
Your timeline is missing a year.

The Habs fanbase and media largely soured on KK in his last year as a Hab. That's when the stories with the eye roll, the bad attitude, and lack of development started getting loudest. He'd been largely chewed up by the vocal Habs base quite a bit before the offer sheet.

Reactions: jfhabs

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Well he put up 34 points as an 18 year old, while Dach has a career high 26 points.

I think you're just a homer.
Some in our fanbase never believed in KK, doesn't mean they are homer because they still think he sucks now that he left.

I was a believer, but was hoping he'd work on his lower body/skating/balance. He never really did unfortunately. It's limiting him to this day, but it's not neceaaarily too late.

Dach has is issues, lot more tools imo, but the toolbox is questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad