Post-Game Talk: Caps wake up in the 3rd win 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Maybe but Jets would have to drop to WC2 and Vegas is 10 points behind and also playing like ass. Very hard for them to catch up at this point. Although Vancouver with second seed and Jets at WC1 is possible
Ya thats more the scenario I was thinking. If Colorado or Dallas can continue their hot play they could very well catch Vancouver. Just as Nashville could very well catch the Jets.

That would leave Jets in WC2 and Vancouver 2nd in the West. Would feel a lot more comfy playing them, but s lot would have to go right (or wrong depending in how you look at it).

Of course ideally first in the Central would be the best route but after the last 3 games thats looking a lot less likely.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Granted it was only against the Caps who are bad but atleast this loss looked more like their pre-ASB losses where they were decent but couldn't get the extra goal by the end, compared to the last few losses (NYI/NJ/Preds/Canucks) where they were blown out of the game pretty much from the opening faceoff.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Granted it was only against the Caps who are bad but atleast this loss looked more like their pre-ASB losses where they were decent but couldn't get the extra goal by the end, compared to the last few losses (NYI/NJ/Preds/Canucks) where they were blown out of the game pretty much from the opening faceoff.
I wouldn't call them bad, they did just move back into a playoff spot. I felt if they got a goal they would wake up. They aren't San Jose bad. Better than average for sure.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I thought we played a good game today but couldn’t score unfortunately. If we played like this in a best of seven series every game, I’d like our chances to win the series with more even puck luck and a more rested Helly.

That being said, some strange coaching decisions over the past 2 days:

- Not really sure why Kyle Connor was thrown back onto the top line in the 3rd period today after our team seemed to play so well in the first two periods. I really think Ehlers + Scheifele (without Connor) gives us a better chance to win - frankly we are elite in large sample sizes when it’s like that. Seems we are an average/below average team when it’s Connor on top line. The data speaks for itself at this point. Are we trying to win a cup or no? Just strange stuff. Not saying that’s what caused the loss today though - I realize that.

- With today’s game being less than 24 hours after yesterday’s game, I’m not sure that pulling Helly yesterday was the right call - you’re then forced to start a goalie who faced a good amount of shots yesterday less than 24 hours ago regardless of who you go with in net. Just a little worried we’re not managing Helly’s workload too well with less than a month to go to the playoffs. It’s very clear that Helly is the x-factor for our team and we are basically below-average since January other than goaltending.

- Also, a bit concerned that our coaching staff doesn’t seem to have a clue as to what our line up (I include line combos in this) should look like on any given game-day (or in any period, for that matter). I must admit that I don’t watch a ton of games that don’t involve the jets - but do elite teams like Colorado, Dallas, Vancouver, etc. seem to dramatically change their line ups all the time like this? Seems like there’s no consistency and no purpose to what our coaches are doing lol

Honestly, thought today was ok, but the team over the past 2 months doesn’t give one confidence that they can beat Dallas and/or Colorado. And in terms of playoff seeding, Nashville is right behind us suddenly with plenty of games left. Candidly this isn’t going well.
You make several valid points especially regarding coaching decisions.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Remember... oh what... two weeks ago when the anti-bones crew thought Arniel was the answer... after they thought Lauer was the answer last year...

Who's our next favourite assistant coach?

If we keep flushing games at this rate, the toilet is going to backup

If we keep flushing games at this rate, the toilet is going to backup

I'd be very surprised if Arniel was innovating his own systems at this point in the year. The team is playing -- or not playing -- Bones hockey, whether or not the man himself is on the bench.

Managed to watch the first 2 periods of this one, thought they were in with a chance but they still seemed slow on the forecheck and a bit off on passes. Hopefully they get through March with a few more wins and find a way to turn up the burners before the first round starts.

There's no switch for these Jets to flip. They need to dig in, focus, move again as a 5-man unit, and play hard and smart.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'd be very surprised if Arniel was innovating his own systems at this point in the year. The team is playing -- or not playing -- Bones hockey, whether or not the man himself is on the bench.

Managed to watch the first 2 periods of this one, thought they were in with a chance but they still seemed slow on the forecheck and a bit off on passes. Hopefully they get through March with a few more wins and find a way to turn up the burners before the first round starts.

There's no switch for these Jets to flip. They need to dig in, focus, move again as a 5-man unit, and play hard and smart.
After this week they at least get some 2 day breaks in April between games. They've basically played every second day since beginning of March with 2 back to backs and a bout of the flu and a long road trip. I'm not trying to make excuses but that does catch up with a team.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Dostoevsky found this team and is running amok and having his way.

5c10dbe685600a35cc757b9a.gif

Onward -> reset, fuel, rest, go hard.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Wow the 6th time the Jets get shutout this season.
The good new is they are not even close to the 16 times Columbus was shutout back in 2007-08 but the bad news is with this firepower to be shut out 6 times shows the system is broken or the players are!

The one common denominator in all of this is the core that was just signed for 8 years.

In the words of Scooby Doo.. "Ruhh rooo"

I think the ultimate collapse has finally happened. If they lose to Vegas nd Edmonton then their fate is sealed.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
After this week they at least get some 2 day breaks in April between games. They've basically played every second day since beginning of March with 2 back to backs and a bout of the flu and a long road trip. I'm not trying to make excuses but that does catch up with a team.

For sure. It's a punishing part of the schedule, and guessing that's one of the reasons we've seen some platooning of players, on the 4th line at least. Maybe some of the others need a break also -- looking at you, Pionk.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I wonder wha tte hNHL record is for most times shutout.

The one common denominator in all of this is the core that was just signed for 8 years.

I think the ultimate collapse has finally happened. If they lose to Vegas nd Edmonoton then their fate is sealed.
I'm guessing your day job isn't motivational speaking.

For sure. It's a punishing part of the schedule, and guessing that's one of the reasons we've seen some platooning of players, on the 4th line at least. Maybe some of the others need a break also -- looking at you, Pionk.
And Hellebuyck. Seriously, give LB some more starts until the playoffs.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The good new is they are not even close to the 16 times Columbus was shutout back in 2007-08 but the bad news is with this firepower to be shut out 6 times shows the system is broken or the players are!

I think the ultimate collapse has finally happened. If they lose to Vegas nd Edmonton then their fate is sealed.
How many times have other similarly ranked teams been shut out?

Reactions: Buffdog

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I thought we played a good game today but couldn’t score unfortunately. If we played like this in a best of seven series every game, I’d like our chances to win the series with more even puck luck and a more rested Helly.

That being said, some strange coaching decisions over the past 2 days:

- Not really sure why Kyle Connor was thrown back onto the top line in the 3rd period today after our team seemed to play so well in the first two periods. I really think Ehlers + Scheifele (without Connor) gives us a better chance to win - frankly we are elite in large sample sizes when it’s like that. Seems we are an average/below average team when it’s Connor on top line. The data speaks for itself at this point. Are we trying to win a cup or no? Just strange stuff. Not saying that’s what caused the loss today though - I realize that.

- With today’s game being less than 24 hours after yesterday’s game, I’m not sure that pulling Helly yesterday was the right call - you’re then forced to start a goalie who faced a good amount of shots yesterday less than 24 hours ago regardless of who you go with in net. Just a little worried we’re not managing Helly’s workload too well with less than a month to go to the playoffs. It’s very clear that Helly is the x-factor for our team and we are basically below-average since January other than goaltending.

- Also, a bit concerned that our coaching staff doesn’t seem to have a clue as to what our line up (I include line combos in this) should look like on any given game-day (or in any period, for that matter). I must admit that I don’t watch a ton of games that don’t involve the jets - but do elite teams like Colorado, Dallas, Vancouver, etc. seem to dramatically change their line ups all the time like this? Seems like there’s no consistency and no purpose to what our coaches are doing lol

Honestly, thought today was ok, but the team over the past 2 months doesn’t give one confidence that they can beat Dallas and/or Colorado. And in terms of playoff seeding, Nashville is right behind us suddenly with plenty of games left. Candidly this isn’t going well.
This is probably the biggest concern we all should have at this juncture. Roughly a dozen games left in the season and we still have no idea how to answer those who innocently ask just who will form our top line come playoffs! The coach`s have focussed exclusively on making Connor/Scheifel/Vilardi a thing,(which ended when he got injured of course) but the results were not very positive. Even if he now returns before too long, there is no proven chemistry amongst these players and we`ll proceed with a hope and a prayer.

And the silly thing is, even now, when we occasionally try different line formulations, they are treated as very short term "blender" experiments, such as we saw today. How the hell can we possibly expect to assess possible chemistry amongst players without giving them a reasonable period of time together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad