Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Red Wings Oct 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
We make some braindead decisions at 3v3. Kuzy chasing the goaltender vs Calgary and Carlson with a stretch pass to give up possession. Dumb plays cost us points here. Those hurt, especially come end of year when we are in a crowded division for playoff spots

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I don’t know what game you were watching but the Caps dominated at even strength and got out scored 3-0. Greiss playing extremely well and Vanecek not being able to make a big save is the reason they lost the game. Expected goals were 2.3-1.3 in favor of the Caps. I don’t think it was their best game but they clearly should have won.
True Greiss outplayed Vanacek by a wide margin.

SoulessGingerCapsFan

Jul 5, 2013
I don’t know what game you were watching but the Caps dominated at even strength and got out scored 3-0. Greiss playing extremely well and Vanecek not being able to make a big save is the reason they lost the game. Expected goals were 2.3-1.3 in favor of the Caps. I don’t think it was their best game but they clearly should have won.
My own stupid personal opinion is they have one NHL level backup on the roster and the other guy is a Europe level backup. Vanacek does his best, is there and ready, and that’s great. But that’s not a goalie who take you further than maybe the first round

Reactions: SherVaughn30

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
It’s so frustrating losing games like this that they should clearly win
I think we’ve been a little spoiled and the teams start has hidden some holes. If the first line cools down this team will struggle to score. Other than Oshie we have not gotten any real secondary scoring. The first line can’t stay this hot forever.

Reactions: crab and max21

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Speed is so much more important with 3v3. Ovy, JC/Schulz are not that fast.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
My own stupid personal opinion is they have one NHL level backup on the roster and the other guy is a Europe level backup. Vanacek does his best, is there and ready, and that’s great. But that’s not a goalie who take you further than maybe the first round
He’s been good this year as a whole and it’s tough because goalies are so fickle. I don’t think he was terrible tonight, but Greiss was outstanding at even strength and stole the game. If not, the Caps probably win 4-2 and Vanecek’s play isn’t an issue. I don’t think he should be blamed for the game but the Caps played a strong game overall and deserved to win so I also don’t think people should be saying they played poorly.

Games like this happen. At this point in the season I’m more concerned about how the team is playing. They’re close to top 5 in the league analytically, undefeated in regulation, and have done this while missing their best center and arguably best forward. I’m not gonna complain.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Are you saying that you don't like our goalies? I don't have alot of faith in either of them either.
Neither are great fundamentally. Neither handle the puck very well.
Vanacek is better better than Samsonov but Samsonov has more potential. He plays bigger and is way more athletic. He seems to be a bit of a flake though.
I think our goaltending ranks near the bottom of the NHL.

SoulessGingerCapsFan

Jul 5, 2013
Are you saying that you don't like our goalies? I don't have alot of faith in either of them either.
Neither are great fundamentally. Neither handle the puck very well.
Vanacek is better better than Samsonov but Samsonov has more potential. He plays bigger and is way more athletic. He seems to be a bit of a flake though.
I think our goaltending ranks near the bottom of the NHL.
Basically, yeah. I HATE Samsonov. Think he’s a waste of roster space and money. Plays like an adult league goalie who has taken a couple months off every game.

I like vanacek as a person and as a backup. Seems like he has a great attitude and has some skill! But I don’t think he gets much better from here. Would love to be proven wrong though.

sounds like you and I are on similar pages

Reactions: SherVaughn30

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
We need to end games before they get to OT. Working on 3 vs 3 is good but it no longer matters beyond April. We do much better at 5 vs 5, so we need to step on the gas a bit more in tight games and get late game winners.

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Last 3 games the 4th line has been awful looking at the stats. Not great considering that’s the only thing they have going for them.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
It’s so frustrating losing games like this that they should clearly win

Eller on the OT loss to DET: "They are a good team. They're probably better than people give them credit for. Could we have played better? Yeah. Did we play poorly? No. Even when we were up 2-0 it was a game. They kept playing and we weren't good enough to close it off today."

Reactions: max21

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Basically, yeah. I HATE Samsonov. Think he’s a waste of roster space and money. Plays like an adult league goalie who has taken a couple months off every game.

I like vanacek as a person and as a backup. Seems like he has a great attitude and has some skill! But I don’t think he gets much better from here. Would love to be proven wrong though.

sounds like you and I are on similar pages

Caps have at best a backup goalie in VV and another backup goalie in Samsonov that still looks like he's in development. I'm sorry, but the goaltending stinks! Scott Murray is not an NHL caliber goalie coach. Murray clearly has no track record of note developing goalies. Someone in the Caps organization plucked him out of nowhere. Goalies in NHL make a difference between a team winning and losing. VV/Samsonov are not winning games for the team and in some regards their losing games or close to losing games for the team. Bottom line, there is no consistency with Caps goaltending right now.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Justin Schultz is the last option I’d play on D during 3v3.

I’m not really concerned about the result since 3v3 is a gimmick, but I’m a bit concerned about the talent evaluation when Schultz was getting 20+ minutes in the postseason and he was their second D over the boards during 3v3. It leads me to believe that maybe some other bad decisions are coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad