Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Panthers 7 pm Nov 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Why do you have to move both?
That way you can't keep the wrong guy. To tell the truth neither are really starting NHL calibre goalies. I think Sammy still has chance to be a starter if he gets his head out of his ass.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
It will makes Caps over-reliant . 1A 1B is better than a Holtby/Copley situation

I think Vanecek/Samsonov can become Elliott/Allen or similar

Quite frankly, that is not very promising for comparisons. Elliot/Allen started out as #1 goalies for the Sens and Blues, but didn't sustain it for long. Both have ended up being 1B goalies at best with their overall careers.

Reactions: maacoshark

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Quite frankly, that is not very promising for comparisons. Elliot/Allen started out as #1 goalies for the Sens and Blues, but didn't sustain it for long. Both have ended up being 1B goalies at best with their overall careers.
How about Halak/Elliott tandem in STL?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Why do you have to move both?

You don't. VV trade value is not that good in my opinion. He doesn't do anything particularly well as his ceiling is just about reached. Sammy's ceiling hasn't been reached, but his mental game is all over the place. A better goalie coach or new team could fix what's wrong with Sammy. Sammy still has the better trade value because he has the size and tools for an NHL goalie. Maybe their might be some other GM's out their that strongly think they have the right goalie coach to fix Sammy. I strongly feel it's just not going to work out here for him.

Reactions: maacoshark

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Any interest in getting Holtby back?

He has had a pretty good start to the season. He beat out Khudobin in preseason. Numbers are still good despite the Stars struggles to score. I would still say no because Holtby never developed good chemistry with Scott Murray.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You don't. VV trade value is not that good in my opinion. He doesn't do anything particularly well as his ceiling is just about reached. Sammy's ceiling hasn't been reached, but his mental game is all over the place. A better goalie coach or new team could fix what's wrong with Sammy. Sammy still has the better trade value because he has the size and tools for an NHL goalie. Maybe their might be some other GM's out their that strongly think they have the right goalie coach to fix Sammy. I strongly feel it's just not going to work out here for him.
Very well said.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If they are going to look at a goalie then Jaroslav Halak seems like a good option. Only in 3 of his 15 seasons has he had a negative goals saved above expected.

His cap hit is a cheap $1.5 million, but he has a full NMC in Vancouver. Like Taylor Hall last season it seems like. he will waive for a team of his choosing if Vancouver is a seller at the deadline. Vancouver is likely not going to be a playoff team, so if Washington really is done with Samsonov he’d be near the top of my list as far as goalie options.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
He has had a pretty good start to the season. He beat out Khudobin in preseason. Numbers are still good despite the Stars struggles to score. I would still say no because Holtby never developed good chemistry with Scott Murray.
Wonder if he still does the eye movements routine.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Cmon man what are peoples expectations here. We have 14 out of 20 points…that puts us on a 113 point pace. If we continue to play at this pace we will be contending for a Presidents trophy.
I get that but that pace isn’t likely to last and my idea is that it’s nice to bank these points in the early going before more injuries start to pile up or Ovi’s goal scoring tapers off. Four opportunities to snatch another point and they got none. That stinks!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
He does. Why do you think he squirts the water in the water bottle up in the air. Holtby isn't doing that to make sure the water bottle works. Holtby does that to keep sharp on eye movement.
Actually that's not why. He said in an interview once that it was mental training. When something goes wrong, he squirts the bottle to put sort of refocus, toss the bad thing aside and move on.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Actually that's not why. He said in an interview once that it was mental training. When something goes wrong, he squirts the bottle to put sort of refocus, toss the bad thing aside and move on.

Uh, how do you think you keep you eyes sharp. Mental training! The human brain controls your eye movement! ;)

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
That way you can't keep the wrong guy. To tell the truth neither are really starting NHL calibre goalies. I think Sammy still has chance to be a starter if he gets his head out of his ass.
I think there may be character issues with Sammy too, in addition to the uneven performance on ice. If that was Jensen he was glaring at after the screened goal, then that’s just latest indication for me that he’s not a team guy. I mean it’s one thing to get snippy if you’re an established vet like Lundqvist (who used to get pissed at teammates), but another if you’re a young unproven commodity and if you’re staring daggers at a guy who was objectively having a hell of a game and who has been an excellent player this year. And that’s to say nothing of the ATM accident, the violation of Covid protocols, and then whatever happened during NYC trip last spring which got both him and 92 in trouble.
Guy’s not worth all the hassle IMO. But i’m no expert on goalies specifically nor prospects generally. Just my viewpoint from fan’s perspective

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I think there may be character issues with Sammy too, in addition to the uneven performance on ice. If that was Jensen he was glaring at after the screened goal, then that’s just latest indication for me that he’s not a team guy. I mean it’s one thing to get snippy if you’re an established vet like Lundqvist (who used to get pissed at teammates), but another if you’re a young unproven commodity and if you’re staring daggers at a guy who was objectively having a hell of a game and who has been an excellent player this year. And that’s to say nothing of the ATM accident, the violation of Covid protocols, and then whatever happened during NYC trip last spring which got both him and 92 in trouble.
Guy’s not worth all the hassle IMO. But i’m no expert on goalies specifically nor prospects generally. Just my viewpoint from fan’s perspective

Neuvirth was the same way when he played for the Caps. He would give the look to teammates on the ice. Coaches will point out to players their mistakes. Goalies should just focus on their game!

Reactions: troyerlaw

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
If Sammy goes then Vanecek has to go too. They both suck.

Sure. But with Vanny at least we know what we got. Sammy is like a riddle. Today he slept on the goal and then got in the way of Carlsons outlet pass. He is destructive. Vanny might not be Patrick Roy but at least he doesn´t mess things up for other people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad