Confirmed with Link: Caps trade for Mantha for Vrana, Panik, 2021 1st, 22 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The Bruins controlled the neutral zone because no one other than the 4th line had the wheels to put them on their heels challenge them. Their defense is pretty green and got bailed out by having superior mobility to our attacking forwards.

Why since 2018? Did Vrana do something noteworthy in 2018, I forget

You guys think speed is the answer to everything, it’s not. The puck always moves faster than anyone can skate, just skating fast in a straight line is not useful.

Go back and rewatch the 2019 and 2020 playoffs, let me know if you see Vrana anywhere.

Scorlov

May 17, 2021
The 4th line did well because they got the puck deep, played with heart, and worked well together. This was not a series of breakaways going either way. It was about physical play creating opportunities, and it was about good passing and teamwork. Caps 4th line excelled because they did the dirty work.

They were able to "get the puck deep" and "play with heart" because they had the speed to turn those truisms into something on the ice. The other lines "got the puck deep" too but didn't have the speed to turn it into something. They "played with heart" but their heart didn't get them on the Bruins players fast enough. The 4th line didn't have breakaways because they're 4th liners but their speed still gave Bruins more trouble than the other 3 lines combined.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I think we will live to regret this trade. The Vrana doesnt show up in the playoffs thing doesnt really sell now that our entire team didnt this year. We also had a guy that we let go to Colorado that did show up in the playoffs. Team is old and time to rebuild.
Agreed. When the whole team plays poorly like they did the last two years Vrana still gets singled out and blamed. But when the team sucks this year people say it’s not fair to single out Mantha because everyone else sucked too. You cant have it both ways.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Scorlov

May 17, 2021
You guys think speed is the answer to everything, it’s not. The puck always moves faster than anyone can skate, just skating fast in a straight line is not useful.

Go back and rewatch the 2019 and 2020 playoffs, let me know if you see Vrana anywhere.

Yeah the Pens had no idea what the hell they were doing speedmaxxing in 2016 and 2017 and again this year. Stupid Bruins going after Taylor Hall, don't they realize the puck is faster? Can't believe Vegas is playing our speedy reject Chandler Stephenson on the 2nd line, guess they missed pUcK iS fAsT 101 as well.

Let me know if you see any Caps player minus Ovechkin anywhere in your 2019 and 2020 rewatch.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010

Just watch every other series this year. Speed is winning.

colorado,vegas,minny,pitt,panthers,lightning,laffs,canes etc... heck even the preds look fast as hell.

All the speedy teams are killing it.

Reactions: HecticGlow

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yeah the Pens had no idea what the hell they were doing speedmaxxing in 2016 and 2017 and again this year. Stupid Bruins going after Taylor Hall, don't they realize the puck is faster? Can't believe Vegas is playing our speedy reject Chandler Stephenson on the 2nd line, guess they missed pUcK iS fAsT 101 as well.

Let me know if you see any Caps player minus Ovechkin anywhere in your 2019 and 2020 rewatch.

You want to talk about the Pens? What have they done last couple of years with their speed? They got trapped to death and swept by Trotz two years in a row, and then trapped to death by a shitty Canadiens team in the bubble.

If you don’t understand how a player’s success is largely dependent on the role given to them and the system played by the team, I can’t help you

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Just watch every other series this year. Speed is winning.

colorado,vegas,minny,pitt,panthers,lightning,laffs,canes etc... heck even the preds look fast as hell.

All the speedy teams are killing it.

Those teams you mentioned have star players or depth players that showed up, and they don’t have a circus in net

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Vrana to the rescue is pure fantasy

No one's saying they want vrana back, but losing all that capital along with him and the speed is what is killed this team. Instead of getting faster/quicker/grittier, we got older, slower, less skilled.

Basically the GM f***ed up a good team.

Scorlov

May 17, 2021
You want to talk about the Pens? What have they done last couple of years with their speed? They got trapped to death and swept by Trotz two years in a row, and then trapped to death by a shitty Canadiens team in the bubble.

If you don’t understand how a player’s success is largely dependent on the role given to them and the system played by the team, I can’t help you

Yes, lets talk about the Pens. They got their brains scrambled by Tom Wilson and spent 2 years trying to rumble in the jungle him going from Ryan Reaves to Jamie Oleksiak. Now that they're going back to their speed roots with guys like Kapanen, Matheson and Carter they actually look menacing. Not sure how you missed that extremely public shitfest which culminated with Rutherford boasting that Oleksiak was gonna tune up Wilson, trading him after he got beat up and ultimately leaving the organization.

FYI - the puck travels faster but if your player can't create separation when he gets it he'll lose it to the other team before he can dig it out of his skates. If you haven't noticed that over the last however many games I can't help you either.

Sep 19, 2008
Vrana didn't do shit but mantha didn't do much

Stuck with him for a few more years

Hope he does better.

At this point you can't really judge. It's a toss up imo

Reactions: Pomee

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
He wasn’t playing well anymore and was doing his best “caps” Bura impression…

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
He wasn’t playing well anymore and was doing his best “caps” Bura impression…
Right but a GM is also judged on what you get back. When you give up as much as we did you need to get back a player that will make a difference. Especially in the playoffs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yes, lets talk about the Pens. They got their brains scrambled by Tom Wilson and spent 2 years trying to rumble in the jungle him going from Ryan Reaves to Jamie Oleksiak. Now that they're going back to their speed roots with guys like Kapanen, Matheson and Carter they actually look menacing. Not sure how you missed that extremely public shitfest which culminated with Rutherford boasting that Oleksiak was gonna tune up Wilson, trading him after he got beat up and ultimately leaving the organization.

FYI - the puck travels faster but if your player can't create separation when he gets it he'll lose it to the other team before he can dig it out of his skates. If you haven't noticed that over the last however many games I can't help you either.

Before you can have odd man rushes, you need to control the neutral zone, unless you keep on throwing stretch passes. That’s hockey 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad