Confirmed with Link: Caps sign C Mikhail Grabovski

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
always loved Grabo. glad to see he's doing well.

haven't watched him yet for the Caps. in his new role, this was the perfect fit for him.

what do you expect out of him. and is he preferred to Johansson on the top pp with the big boys??

PP1 has been Ovi-Green-Backstrom-Brouwer-Grabo and they've been lights out, but I think he and MJ could be/are interchangable at that spot. Grabo has vision, can pass and shoot, and isn't afraid to go to the net (see his 2 PP goals vs Chicago). He's a lot of fun to watch and I think he's going to make himsel some money this year, hopefully with us. My only complaint about Grabo so far is he's looked a little lost and made some terrible passes/turnovers in the defensive zone at time. If Oates would only put Erat instead of Laich with Grabo and Brouwer on the 2nd line they'd be fantastic.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
PP1 has been Ovi-Green-Backstrom-Brouwer-Grabo and they've been lights out, but I think he and MJ could be/are interchangable at that spot. Grabo has vision, can pass and shoot, and isn't afraid to go to the net (see his 2 PP goals vs Chicago). He's a lot of fun to watch and I think he's going to make himsel some money this year, hopefully with us. My only complaint about Grabo so far is he's looked a little lost and made some terrible passes/turnovers in the defensive zone at time. If Oates would only put Erat instead of Laich with Grabo and Brouwer on the 2nd line they'd be fantastic.

What about that description is even remotely similar to Johansson, much less interchangeable?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
What about that description is even remotely similar to Johansson, much less interchangeable?

I didn't say that describes Johansson, but I think that MaJo will see time on PP1. By interchangable I meant if you put Johansson in Grabo's spot, there won't be much of a drop-off in PP production, at least in my opinion. MaJo can pass -- he played well on the PP last year -- but he won't go to the net.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I didn't say that describes Johansson, but I think that MaJo will see time on PP1. By interchangable I meant if you put Johansson in Grabo's spot, there won't be much of a drop-off in PP production, at least in my opinion. MaJo can pass -- he played well on the PP last year -- but he won't go to the net.

Nobody but Grabovski is even willing to try that cross-crease to Ovechkin from what I've seen. That alone is going to open things up. I wouldn't mind seeing the low man look to the slot guy a bit more, though.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
One of the biggest benefits of Grabovski is that we don't have Ribeiro taking (losing) face offs left and right. Also no unsportsmanlike penalties for yapping at refs.

One thing I notice about him is that he is just as fast with the puck as he is without it. He plays at a very high pace

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Nobody but Grabovski is even willing to try that cross-crease to Ovechkin from what I've seen. That alone is going to open things up. I wouldn't mind seeing the low man look to the slot guy a bit more, though.

MaJo made that cross crease to Ovechkin for his hat trick goal against Florida last year for his hat trick goal, if I recall correctly. But I agree, I do really like Grabo's vision and play-making ability. That was a great yet subtle pass to Backstrom for the GTG last night.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

One other thing is that Grabovski seems like a threat to take it out front and stuff it or shoot if he has the angle. MJ seems to always look for a pass unless he has THE perfect shooting opportunity.

Grabovski is also stronger on the puck and a better puck retreiver than MJ is from what I see. And it never hurts having 2 centers on the PP that are decent on faceoffs in case one gets thrown out.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
One other thing is that Grabovski seems like a threat to take it out front and stuff it or shoot if he has the angle. MJ seems to always look for a pass unless he has THE perfect shooting opportunity.

Grabovski is also stronger on the puck and a better puck retreiver than MJ is from what I see. And it never hurts having 2 centers on the PP that are decent on faceoffs in case one gets thrown out.

I love what Grabo's done on PP1, obviously. But I also think he could provide a legit shooting option (other than 8) on a 2nd unit. Shooting off the right side, like his 2-on-1 goal vs. the Hawks with maybe Orlov dishing/shooting from the point, Mojo on the LW half wall as QB, Erat down low as the cross-crease passer, and Fehr in the slot.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Once Grabo becomes a little more familiar with our powerplay, I think he'll be more of a shooting option. Backstrom and Ribeiro worked the rotation play a lot along the right wall, leading to Ribeiro manning the spot at the half boards. If Grabo and Backstrom start doing this, then suddenly you have a shooting threat on the right side. That should help open up Brouwer (and Backstrom seems more willing to dish to the slot from down low) and Green.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Once Grabo becomes a little more familiar with our powerplay, I think he'll be more of a shooting option. Backstrom and Ribeiro worked the rotation play a lot along the right wall, leading to Ribeiro manning the spot at the half boards. If Grabo and Backstrom start doing this, then suddenly you have a shooting threat on the right side. That should help open up Brouwer (and Backstrom seems more willing to dish to the slot from down low) and Green.

Good points. And if PP1 is really this good, who needs a second unit?

usun

Sep 8, 2011
just adding some concerns from his Maple Leafs performance:
- he seems to be streaky
- bit of a puck hog
- it's scary to watch his play, expecting injuries all this time he is being tossed like ragged doll, but he is very tough and lucky so far
- up until yesterday penalty shots were his curse for a couple of years. hopefully it's over now :)
- he is not so good on the dot, despite trying to improve it all the time

as for positives:
- possesion player
- fast and skillful
- can both pass and shoot (bit of shoot first menality, may be because of his linemates in Tor last 2 years)
- very tough (despite small size), fearless and goes to dirty areas
- all heart and good work ethic, he and Oates should be great for each other
- he is pissed with the way he was treated in Toronto last year, so he'll be highly motivated and should shine this season for Caps :)

GrabsOverHabs

Apr 7, 2013
just adding some concerns from his Maple Leafs performance:
- he seems to be streaky
- bit of a puck hog
- it's scary to watch his play, expecting injuries all this time he is being tossed like ragged doll, but he is very tough and lucky so far
- up until yesterday penalty shots were his curse for a couple of years. hopefully it's over now :)
- he is not so good on the dot, despite trying to improve it all the time

as for positives:
- possesion player
- fast and skillful
- can both pass and shoot (bit of shoot first menality, may be because of his linemates in Tor last 2 years)
- very tough (despite small size), fearless and goes to dirty areas
- all heart and good work ethic, he and Oates should be great for each other
- he is pissed with the way he was treated in Toronto last year, so he'll be highly motivated and should shine this season for Caps :)

Him being bad at faceoffs and penalty shootouts is questionable. Even last year when he was being blasted by Carlyle for his faceoff ability he finished the year over 50%. As for shootouts the Leafs lost every shootout they had last year so yes he was bad then, but so was the entire team, prior to last year Grabovski had some spectacular shootout goals and his percentage was average compared to most shooters in the league.

usun

Sep 8, 2011
year, sure not bad, but rather meh. just not his strengths in Tor for last couple of years.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
i think his streakiness is more indicative of his linemates, which he didn't have last year

i'd like to see his numbers if he spent the whole year on the top line with kessel and a healthy lupul. i think it's a no brainer that he'd do much better than bozak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad