Confirmed with Link: Caps sign C Mikhail Grabovski

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@IgorEronko: Belarus TV-channel ONT reports Mikhail Grabovski will sign contract with #Caps today

@SWhyno: Mikhail Grabovski's agent says client still making a decision. @IgorEronko reports Belarus TV says #Caps will sign him.

@SWhyno: Grabovski's agent says he hopes to have resolution by weekend or shortly after. Short-term deal has always been preference.

capitals.nhl.com

Last edited by a moderator:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
@IgorEronko: Belarus TV-channel ONT reports Mikhail Grabovski will sign contract with #Caps today

@SWhyno: Mikhail Grabovski's agent says client still making a decision. @IgorEronko reports Belarus TV says #Caps will sign him.

@SWhyno: Grabovski's agent says he hopes to have resolution by weekend or shortly after. Short-term deal has always been preference.

Does this push Richards up to 1C and Backstrom to his natural spot at 3C (where he lines up with Sweden)?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I'm in agreement, but I could get over it if the rights are traded for defensive help.

Historically, any decently skilled plug has put up 60 points opposite Backstrom/Ovie. Johansson has no plus attributes other than speed and I don't see him developing into anything more than, well, a decently skilled plug that puts up 60 points opposite Backstrom/Ovie.

I personally don't think they will trade his rights (maybe they let him play a year or two in the SEL), but I think he could return something decent and useful.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Johansson - Backstrom - Ovechkin
Erat - Grabovski - Brouwer
Laich - Perreault - Fehr
Chimera - Beagle - Ward

:nod::nod:
That's not bad at all, but it leaves them with a $4.5M player on the 3rd line and a $3M guy on the 4th.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Laich - Perreault - Fehr
Chimera - Beagle - Ward

i like that. add a top 4 LD at the deadline and we're a contender (although im still hoping orlov will be that guy)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That's not bad at all, but it leaves them with a $4.5M player on the 3rd line and a $3M guy on the 4th.

If you're really worried about price structure, you can flip Ward/Fehr and Johansson/Laich. There's a lot of flexibility in the roster now, which is great news once injuries and slumps hit. We'll see which lines click and which don't.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Anyone willing to offer up a quick bio on Grabs? In my yute I knew everyone around the league. Thanks

maybe touch on speed hitting danglicity?

Locker room poison ;)

I see the basic stats and see he is in his prime.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm in agreement, but I could get over it if the rights are traded for defensive help.
Cap space looks like a big issue either way. They'd have to get someone to take Erskine or Ward in a package most likely if they really wanted to add that top 4D. As-is maybe they can eventually get Johansson done in that Hagelin range but would ~$2.5M do it for Grabovski? Maybe the bounceback potential for future earnings sways him.

If they were to sign Grabovski and get Johansson done I'd go with 19/84/21/85 down the middle. Laich could be a trade candidate down the line but I'd fully utilize their center options. It would relegate Perreault to more of a fourth-line energy guy again but that's still probably truer to his style and if his line is going it could always get bumped up.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
If you're really worried about price structure, you can flip Ward/Fehr and Johansson/Laich. There's a lot of flexibility in the roster now, which is great news once injuries and slumps hit. We'll see which lines click and which don't.
If they can afford all of them, sure, keep them all and let the chips fall where they may. However, if the cap hit of that group of forwards prevents them from acquiring an adequate 2LD now (or even keeps them from banking cap space for a move at the deadline), then it needs to be re-evaluated.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Some alternate line-ups since I'm excited about this.

90 - 19 - 8 (scoring)
10 - 84 - 20 (scoring/2-way)
25 - 21 - 42 (shutdown)
24 - 85 - 16 (energy/checking)

21 - 19 - 8 (scoring)
90 - 85 - 16 (energy/scoring)
25 - 83 - 42 (checking/shutdown)

90 - 19 - 8 (scoring)
16 - 21 - 42 (2-way/shutdown)
25 - 85 - 83 (checking/energy)

Last edited:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Some alternate line-ups since I'm excited about this.

90 - 19 - 8 (scoring)
25 -21 - 42 (shutdown)
24 - 85 - 16 (energy/checking)

21 - 19 - 8 (scoring)
90 - 85 - 16 (energy/scoring)
25 - 83 - 42 (checking/shutdown)

Fehr was fantastic defensively.... Then again I'm draing a blank as to who #25 is....

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Worth a laugh

Neil Greenberg ‏@ngreenberg 2m

How confident could #Caps be in Laich as 2C if they kicked tires on Lecavalier and now could be on verge of signing Grabovski?

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Laich - Perreault - Fehr
Chimera - Beagle - Ward

I'd like to see them experiment with Perreault as a top-6 winger, and using Laich at the #3C. Maybe something like:

Perreault - Grabovski - Brouwer
Erat - Laich - Fehr
Chimera - Beagle - Ward

Recognize that Perreault may not be ideal there, but I think it may make for an overall more balanced lineup...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Nobody in the Caps management or coaching staff has ever shown an inclination of playing Perreault on the wing. Oates had Volpatti and Hendricks as Ovie's left wing last year, for pete's sake. If Perreault was going to be tried at LW, it would have been then, wouldn't it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad