GDT: caps @ SAUNALAND

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I gotta say, it’s SO nice to have a competent powerplay.

Think of how many games over the last X years where we’ve had chances on the powerplay to tie or win the game in the 3rd period and did ****all with it.

So to tie AND win the game on the PP tonight? *chef’s kiss*

Remember when @HisIceness wanted to fire Jeff Daniels into the sun last year? He owes him and the coaching staff in general a steak dinner, with baked potatoes.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Penguins fan here. Thanks bros. Huge help for us tonight, Jake probably receiving a lot of friendly messages from his Pens friends now. It was amazing to see these Caps tears and Jake still helping the Pens. It´s crazy we still have a chance. If we don´t make it, the Canes are gonna be a bandwagon for a lot of Pens fans. Btw, Bunting is playing very solid for us too. Good luck the rest of the way, unless it´s somehow Canes vs Pens in the playoffs hahahah....

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Caps are upset but not ideal to get out shot 3-1 when you're battling for your playoff lives.
I've got their feed here in VA. While I get the color guy tends to be a homer this one was pretty funny.

"And you can tell how livid the captain and the rest of the capitals are. They worked their tails off this game and it came down to some questionable calls"

Uh, buddy. You got out-shot 46-15 for the game. You had 8 shots on goal TOTAL in the 2nd and 3rd periods. I don't think the reffing cost you the game.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I've got their feed here in VA. While I get the color guy tends to be a homer this one was pretty funny.

"And you can tell how livid the captain and the rest of the capitals are. They worked their tails off this game and it came down to some questionable calls"

Uh, buddy. You got out-shot 46-15 for the game. You had 8 shots on goal TOTAL in the 2nd and 3rd periods. I don't think the reffing cost you the game.

Their main argument seems to be that Sandin didn’t trip/hook Aho to draw that last PP, but Kuemper did when he made the save and tripped Aho with his stick.

Which, fair enough if that’s their argument. But that’s still a penalty, and Sandin doesn’t play on their PK, so nothing really changed.

Now that being said, we did get away with an uncalled trip like a minute earlier.

Reactions: Tryamw and Daeavorn

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Their main argument seems to be that Sandin didn’t trip/hook Aho to draw that last PP, but Kuemper did when he made the save and tripped Aho with his stick.

Which, fair enough if that’s their argument. But that’s still a penalty, and Sandin doesn’t play on their PK, so nothing really changed.

Now that being said, we did get away with an uncalled trip like a minute earlier.
Sandin for sure hooks him on his way to the net. Maybe that doesn’t cause him to go down and Kuemper does but to your point that would still be a trip. And hooking doesn’t require the guy to go down be called. Just nice to see the close stuff go our way for once.

Reactions: geehaad and cptjeff

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Penguins fan here. Thanks bros. Huge help for us tonight, Jake probably receiving a lot of friendly messages from his Pens friends now. It was amazing to see these Caps tears and Jake still helping the Pens. It´s crazy we still have a chance. If we don´t make it, the Canes are gonna be a bandwagon for a lot of Pens fans. Btw, Bunting is playing very solid for us too. Good luck the rest of the way, unless it´s somehow Canes vs Pens in the playoffs hahahah....
Ready for another high truba elbow to Crosby?

Reactions: Gurglesons

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah, I was on their feed too as I'm in NOVA. I get it. They thought they had a trip right before that and then that penalty got called. I believe the main reason they called the penalty they did in our favor and not the one the Caps are complaining about is situational. They probably thought Aho was being denied a chance where as the Caps player was pretty lightly touched in his own zone and went down fairly easy. Late in game, scoring chances that are interrupted by penalty like behavior tend to be the only things called.

Now, the Caps announcers also admitted at one point that the Caps got a bit of a break that gave them the faceoff that gave them their second goal. On top of that, as I mentioned, the shot dispcrepancy. And then, the fact that they got PP chances and our PK shut them down pretty thoroughly and we scored on our PP chances, well, they kinda got what they deserved.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Ready for another high truba elbow to Crosby?
Well, it is what it is. Our season was totally dead, we were sellers and watching lottery odds, rooting against the team. Now, all of a sudden, there is a chance. At this point, we would probably take a R1 sweep, just to get there one last time maybe. Would hurt less against the Canes than against the Rangers, that´s for sure.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Last edited:

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Yeah, I was on their feed too as I'm in NOVA. I get it. They thought they had a trip right before that and then that penalty got called. I believe the main reason they called the penalty they did in our favor and not the one the Caps are complaining about is situational. They probably thought Aho was being denied a chance where as the Caps player was pretty lightly touched in his own zone and went down fairly easy. Late in game, scoring chances that are interrupted by penalty like behavior tend to be the only things called.

Now, the Caps announcers also admitted at one point that the Caps got a bit of a break that gave them the faceoff that gave them their second goal. On top of that, as I mentioned, the shot dispcrepancy. And then, the fact that they got PP chances and our PK shut them down pretty thoroughly and we scored on our PP chances, well, they kinda got what they deserved.
Agreed on the situational idea for the calls. Also, just got to see the replay on the non-call and I can see the logic as well that it’s incidental contact essentially. Canes player turns right ahead of Jensen, who cuts right and trips over the skate. No (apparent) intent to trip the guy and their skate happen to collide so play on.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Now, the Caps announcers also admitted at one point that the Caps got a bit of a break that gave them the faceoff that gave them their second goal.
Oh I thought I was the only one who noticed that. An iffy decision where the ref wasn't clear that we didn't touch up an offsides and then then send it down to our zone for the faceoff? Ok then

But yeah after the first Washington was thoroughly outplayed. After Kooch made those 2 excellent saves in the 2nd it was all they could do to clear the puck out of the zone. The Caps didn't play well enough to get a point

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Oh I thought I was the only one who noticed that. An iffy decision where the ref wasn't clear that we didn't touch up an offsides and then then send it down to our zone for the faceoff? Ok then

But yeah after the first Washington was thoroughly outplayed. After Kooch made those 2 excellent saves in the 2nd it was all they could do to clear the puck out of the zone. The Caps didn't play well enough to get a point
That sequence from koochie was insane.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I feel bad for PK, because his SV% sucked this game. But he made multiple Grade A stops to prevent it from getting to 3-0 and to prevent the Caps from retaking the lead after we tied it.

Like we only gave up 15 shots, but if you think about it:

Two were 1-on-1 with OV: 1 goal allowed, the other stopped.
The crazy deflection by OV: Goal allowed
The breakaway by Wilson: Stopped
The 1-on-1 with McMichael shortly after the Wilson breakaway: Stopped

So 1/3rd of the shots he faced, it was basically him on an island?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I feel bad for PK, because his SV% sucked this game. But he made multiple Grade A stops to prevent it from getting to 3-0 and to prevent the Caps from retaking the lead after we tied it.

He had an incredible game. Even that first goal by Ovi, he made the initial save but there was nobody on defense to clean it up and he had no chance. The saves he did make were game changing. It's the kind of stops that has to have the team feeling very confident in net going into the playoffs. Both he and Freddie are capable of stealing a game.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia

This is why I basically ignore the save percentage for our goalies (mostly). You get so many potential nights where the shots are so limited but they give up some grade A chances that a bad save % night is actually a good night by the goalie if you watched the game and didn't just check box scores.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad