Post-Game Talk: Caps/Sabres, 12/9/16, 7pm ET, KeyBank Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Outside of Dominek Hasek, virtually all elite goalies are helped a great deal by the system they play in. Even Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur benefited from their coaches and system. It's a symbiotic relationship.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
YsbKHg1.gif

Been too long since we've seen this.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The Metro has really stepped up this year. Still not as tough as the Central division, fortunately for the Caps.

I would gladly move the Capitals to the Central if it were possible. Even if they replaced Avalanche in that division. Central is just not that good anymore because the Blackhawks lost so many key pieces already.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If the Caps produced the kind of effort the Sabres produced tonight, they'd be burnt at the stake.

And rightly so. If the Caps came out of that slump and followed up their player meeting with a bad showing then just about any coach or athlete from college level on up will tell you it's a bad sign.

As a general rule don't get too high or too low. If losing streaks don't mean the sky is falling then winning a few games doesn't mean the Cup parade is going through your neighborhood, either.

In one sense Oates was right: a loss is OK if you've done all the right things and done everything you can. But where people will differ is what those right things are. Trotz calls it "playing the right way", I think. Maybe I'm misremembering. But wins and losses rarely ever tell the whole story. There are bad wins and good losses in the context of a larger plan/goal.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I would gladly move the Capitals to the Central if it were possible. Even if they replaced Avalanche in that division. Central is just not that good anymore because the Blackhawks lost so many key pieces already.

Chicago may have lost plenty of pieces, but they'd still be second only to Pittsburgh in the Metro. Not to mention the central has a resurgent Minnesota, St. Louis, Nashville, Dallas, and Winnipeg. Dallas is off to a slower start than expected, but the depth in that division is second to none. If Dallas regroups, each of those teams has a legitimate argument for being capable of reaching the Western Conference finals, if not further.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Chicago may have lost plenty of pieces, but they'd still be second only to Pittsburgh in the Metro. Not to mention the central has a resurgent Minnesota, St. Louis, Nashville, Dallas, and Winnipeg. Dallas is off to a slower start than expected, but the depth in that division is second to none. If Dallas regroups, each of those teams has a legitimate argument for being capable of reaching the Western Conference finals, if not further.

The bolded is exactly the reason why i would do that swap in a heartbeat. Bunch of solid teams but besides Chicago i'd face any of those rather than the Penguins or the Rangers. Not to mention that Pacific division is absolutely brutal this season again.

Minnesota is a solid team but they are not better than either Columbus or Philly. Winnipeg is crippled by injuries and even when fully healthy their teams isn't that good this season. Nashville is already riding on the performances of Rinne this season and even then they only have 28 points which would be tied with Carolina for 7th in Metro. Dallas on the other hand have serious defensive problems and they don't have a goalie to cover that. Last year was a fluke now that Klingberg has come back to earth.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Top 5 in the Metro have won 2, 4, 5, 3, and 7 in a row. The 5th place in the Metro would be 2nd in the Atlantic and 1st in the Pacific. Tough crowd.

If you even the games out and assume that teams win their games in hand(which usually means winning both ends of a back to back) Columbus has a slight lead with a the way wad at 2nd.

Didn't someone say that Torts can't coach?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Trotz calls it "playing the right way", I think. Maybe I'm misremembering. But wins and losses rarely ever tell the whole story. There are bad wins and good losses in the context of a larger plan/goal.

no...that's what he says.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The bolded is exactly the reason why i would do that swap in a heartbeat. Bunch of solid teams but besides Chicago i'd face any of those rather than the Penguins or the Rangers. Not to mention that Pacific division is absolutely brutal this season again.

Minnesota is a solid team but they are not better than either Columbus or Philly. Winnipeg is crippled by injuries and even when fully healthy their teams isn't that good this season. Nashville is already riding on the performances of Rinne this season and even then they only have 28 points which would be tied with Carolina for 7th in Metro. Dallas on the other hand have serious defensive problems and they don't have a goalie to cover that. Last year was a fluke now that Klingberg has come back to earth.

I'd take Minnesota over Philadelphia and definitely over Columbus. I'd also take Nashville over those teams, and St. Louis I'd take over the Rangers as well. A healthy Winnipeg has two budding superstars in Schiefele and Laine and some underrated depth. If their goaltending holds up, they're legitimate. Dallas' defensive woes are overblown, and is being held back by atrocious goaltending. If they get a goaltender, they're a legitimate Stanley Cup threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad