Confirmed with Link: Caps re-sign Braden Holtby to a two-year, $3.7M extension

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
I wonder if anyone here could be dumb enough to use this signing to try to bash McPhee somehow.

EDIT: yup

Bro,

Bash him?

Only in that as a financial officer, you spend money only when you need to.

In this case... you do it after the team is, at very least, out of last place.

If motivation is not part of the equation... he did not need to spend the money.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
If motivation is not part of the equation... he did not need to spend the money.

No one should claim to understand the cosmic mysteries of goaltender psychology, but I think that 1yr "carrot" contracts are more for grinders and fighters and many goaltenders can benefit from having the confidence of being played after losses and signed for a few years.

Halpysback*

Bro,

Bash him?

Only in that as a financial officer, you spend money only when you need to.

In this case... you do it after the team is, at very least, out of last place.

I mean, as far as signings go, this was probably the biggest conceivable no-brainer out there. Whether it happens now or later in the year doesn't particularly matter at this term and cap hit. If anything Holtby could be demanding north of 2.5 if he were to play decent enough the rest of this season as a starter.

And the team technically is out of last place, not that it matters much.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yep, maybe George heard Holtby recently say he is always a slow starter and decided to act now. Braden showed enough progress to help him decide it was time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Bro,

bro, that motivation can swing from side to side.wait too long on these things and it can cost you a lot more money. then you would be bashing mcphee for not getting it done for less when he had a chance.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
idk about the timing of these extensions, maybe GMGM is trying to send a message to the players he hasnt given up on them. 2 year deals on the cheap for both

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
Should have traded Neuvy first. He seems to play well when he is the starter.

Get a vet backup(should have kept Vokoun) and get something for Neuvy while you can.

ALee10

Oct 8, 2011
Should have traded Neuvy first. He seems to play well when he is the starter.

Get a vet backup(should have kept Vokoun) and get something for Neuvy while you can.

It's true that both our goaltenders this year have been up and down, but Neuvirth is what, 24? Holtby is 23. Two goalies with starter upside at a total cost of less than 4M sounds like a good deal to me.

As the team is constructed right now is there a realistic expectation of being great this year? Things are coming to a head but it's at least a year away. Lots of contracts are expiring, lots of intriguing potential UFAs next year and the possibility of adding dynamic youth over the next two years. I'm fine with keeping Neuvirth and letting him work through this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad