Confirmed with Link: Caps re-sign Braden Holtby to a two-year, $3.7M extension

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Good deal if he can learn to stop ending up facing the goal five feet out of the crease with one of his patented juicy rebounds bouncing around between the circles.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Good deal if he can learn to stop ending up facing the goal five feet out of the crease with one of his patented juicy rebounds bouncing around between the circles.

I think with time and as his game matures he will overplay the shot less. His talent level is very high and the biggest weaknesses in his game are consistency and losing his net which are something you would expect to improve as he gets older. He definitely has the potential to be a top 10 goalie in the NHL.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

You do realize the kid has barely played 30 NHL games outside of playoffs right?

Kolzig didn't "get it" until he was 28 years old. Goalie is a pretty tough position to learn and takes time.

CAPITAL PUNISHMENT

Oct 18, 2010
Maryland
I would of preferred making him earn a new contract this season and then pony up the dough. Seems to me GMGM is posturing to make a move with the signings both happening today.

Liberati0n*

They're wary of the UFA market because they don't want to hand out ridiculous deals, and then they hand out even more ridiculous ones to their own RFAs. This one isn't that bad, but the Erskine contract is atrocious. It's not that Holtby isn't worth $2M; there's just no way he actually had the leverage to demand it. (1.85, whatever).

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
I would've been OK with anything under $2mil so this fits. If he gets closer to his potential it's a bargain and if he doesn't it's a contract they can easily get rid of.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They're wary of the UFA market because they don't want to hand out ridiculous deals, and then they hand out even more ridiculous ones to their own RFAs. This one isn't that bad, but the Erskine contract is atrocious. It's not that Holtby isn't worth $2M; there's just no way he actually had the leverage to demand it. (1.85, whatever).

Jonathan Quick got a 3-year deal at $1.8M per after his ELC expired in 2010 ($56.8M salary cap), his first full season in the NHL. This doesn't seem all that different. $1.8M is a very reasonable price for his second contract.

Liberati0n*

Jonathan Quick got a 3-year deal at $1.8M per after his ELC expired in 2010 ($56.8M salary cap), his first full season in the NHL. This doesn't seem all that different. $1.8M is a very reasonable price for his second contract.

Yeah, I guess. It's fine. I'm just beside myself at the Erskine contract.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Meh. I still don't see what leverage he has over what Neuvirth had after his ELC.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
Varly was still the #1 when Neuvirth signed his extension, whereas Holtby has a much better chance of being the long-term #1 when he signed his.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nothing like rewarding crap play with an extension and a raise. Hope he plays the rest of the season like the last few games and surprises us all.

#McPheeRosterBuilding

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I would of preferred making him earn a new contract this season and then pony up the dough. Seems to me GMGM is posturing to make a move with the signings both happening today.

what is your definition of "making him earn a new contract"?

you almost always get a better deal on your own players when you sign them before their contracts expire.

these contract negotiations often go back a year before they are finalized. none of this is anything new.

Halpysback*

I wonder if anyone here could be dumb enough to use this signing to try to bash McPhee somehow.

EDIT: yup

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
He's only starting to get consistent after a slow start.. I thought the timing (when the season started) would of given him an advantage because of his time in Hershey. No excuses.

dles

Jan 27, 2013
Welp I'M gonna go ahead and say good job GMGM. I like the deal, not too expensive and enough money that it shows Holtby we believe he can be a franchise goalie for us. Also two years shows some faith but it's still not a long contract if he doesn't pan out. He will be here next year and if for some reason he plays like crap, 1.85 isn't a huge amount to stick him as a back up. If we get rid of Schultz and Hammer, resign Brouwer and Ribs at close to what they make now we have some good cap room for a solid D-man. Then Forsberg and Kuz will come in at ELC's so. Sitting good IMO.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I'm better with this deal than the other one today. I really like Holtby's handling of the puck. And hopefully he can stay on the little roll he is on right now.

dles

Jan 27, 2013
So how would you feel about Troy Brouwer, leader of men, resigning for 3 years at say $11 mil total...?

Haha ya sorry, I was under the impression that he wasn't signed for longer. I corrected myself in the Erskine thread. I agree with the amount he's making though on a side note. 3.66 mil a year is league average for a quality 2nd winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad