Pre-Game Talk: Caps @ Rangers - Metro Division Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
It's been surreal watching all this hockey while the Rangers sit at home resting and watching.

I can't wait until tomorrow night.

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
will game one be broadcast on 98.7FM? im stuck working so i hope so.

Yes

http://espn.go.com/new-york/radio/schedule

mvRPHPP.png

Blue Seat Spartan

Permanent Vacation
Apr 24, 2012
Richmond County, NY
Here's what I believe are the keys to winning the Metro Division Finals vs. the Washington Capitals:
  1. Chris Kreider - With Zuccarello out due to an unfortunate injury, Kreider has to step up with the physical game. He is big right? Then play big. "Krash Man" has to be an absolute wrecking ball on the forecheck, plastering Mike Green, Brooks Orpik, John Carlson to the end boards when possible, in addition to his bread & butter of crashing the net for scoring chances.
  2. Kevin Klein - The return of Optimus Klein brings balance to the defense corps. And with the pairings of McDonagh-Girardi, Staal-Boyle, Yandle-Klein, that is a solid 6 on D which you can spread ice time to. Lundqvist will certainly benefit from the cohesion that the three pairings have, the backchecking of the forwards will improve, and the transition game should be enhanced by having a puck-moving defenseman on each pair.
  3. Rick Nash - "Methods don't interest me. Only results." And by results, I mean goals. Nash has to score in the worst ways possible. It's nice that Rick Nash is providing great two-way play, but it's time for him to earn his money by potting goals in the playoffs.
  4. Home Ice - OWN IT. We all know the Stanley Cup Playoffs are an exercise in attrition and close-quarter battles. Don't make it harder than it is by giving up the first game. In fact, grab the first game at the Garden, and if possible... the second. Hit hard, fast, early, and often. Do so before the Capitals get their legs going. Because, expectations (as a top seed)...
  5. X-Factor/Unsung Hero - James Sheppard, 2015 trade deadline acquisition. With Zuccarello out indefinitely, the Rangers' depth will be put to the test. With Sheppard comes versatility at forward, playing center or wing, depending on game situation. With the adrenaline of the first round behind us, expect the playoffs to turn into the expected grind. Any set of fresh legs will make the difference from here on out, and when the game or series is in the balance, role players oftentimes will provide the biggest contributions.

I'm going with the consensus of the HFNYR board: Rangers in 6 games. :yo:

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
For one, I think Nash takes far too much crap on these boards and I don't care what he does in this series so long as the Rangers win. I expect the Caps to run at him starting in game 1. Whatever, they still have to pay attention to him each time he is on the ice. 4 points in 5 games so far. I don't care if he has 4 assists on Brassard's 4 goals in this series.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
i've noticed something after watching a ton of series and reg. season highlights that's been bugging me.

i've seen that many times, the reason the rangers don't sustain offensive zone pressure, is because the defense can never ever make a simple play. start watching for it and you'll notice, every play they make is either a pass or an attempted shot. there's never one of those "intentionally miss the net so you can get the puck deep" plays, you know, the goal that won us the penguins series. marc staal is especially aggravating with this, he's a slow offensive decision maker as is, but he either forces a pass that is/isn't there, or takes a terrible shin-shot only for the puck to go right out. girardi, boyle, and yes klein too are all egregious offenders of this. always looking for plays that aren't there rather just cycle the puck.

of course, this wouldn't be a problem if these d-men had any semblance of offensive creativity minus mcdonagh and yandle, but they don't, so ****ing keep it simple.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
staal had an intentional wide shot on kreider's goal

funny how that works right?

that's not really what i meant though. that was a set play, he meant to get that puck right to kreider. i meant, even when there isn't a kreider in perfect position, just get the puck deep and let the forwards cycle. our forward group is very strong on the puck and very quick for the most part, there's no reason they should be so bad at cycling the puck.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
i wonder if av is more tentative because his legacy is on the line.

is he a president's trophy only coach?

im sure the man is competitive and has a lot of pride, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was a bit prudent.

that being said, playoff hockey is tight. i think the rangers are going to do very well against the capitals. this is the matchup I wanted.

President's Trophy only coach?

He has made the Stanley Cup final twice! He has been quite successful in the play-offs. He took the Bruins to 7 games and was close to winning it in 2011. Last year we lost games in OT. We weren't dominated. AV is a coach who just needs a bit of luck and bounces going the right way

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
forget chipping it down to the forwards, i feel yandle is the only dman who can actually keep the puck in the zone.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
President's Trophy only coach?

He has made the Stanley Cup final twice! He has been quite successful in the play-offs. He took the Bruins to 7 games and was close to winning it in 2011. Last year we lost games in OT. We weren't dominated. AV is a coach who just needs a bit of luck and bounces going the right way

Not to mention, he took the Bruins to 7 games with a completely depleted lineup. Look at the amount of injuries that team had that year in the playoffs..

Rick Nash 61

The Best
Jul 6, 2014
New York
Gord Miller is great.

Forslund is okay he calls the game fine but the way he says "Scores" is not great at all, I'd for sure prefer Doc.

Yeah that's exactly my problem it just sounds so corny. Would prefer Doc over him as well but obviously Gord first.

Whatever though none of this changes the fact that we're gonna win this series

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Im getting a little concerned about how the Rangers are approaching this series. All of the questions from the media (and im sure AVs game plan is centered around this in some capacity) are about managing the physicality. All the talk is how BIG the Caps are and how they are going to impose their will against the Rangers physically.

I'm worried that the players are going to fall into that trap before they even drop the puck. This team needs to play loose and I hope they learned their lesson in the first series. Even though they won in 5 the games were close (yes it is the playoffs and that is to be expected) but they just didnt look like themselves for large stretches.

Maloney had a really good response last night when asked how the Rangers should approach this series. "Nothing bothers them". They have to respect their opponent but they just need to play their game and everything will take care of itself. They can't get caught up in what the Caps will try to do to them (like Pittsburgh tried, and succeeded at times - which is why im worried) physically - they need to play their speed and skill game to counteract that. They can't do that if they are going into this series "bracing" for some kind of impending onslaught. They need to be dictating the play - and they'll make the Capitals look like fools out there.

I'm really hoping that this is mindset is straightened out in the room. I don't think its a huge concern because of the veteran leadership but this point is constantly getting drilled into their heads by all of the questions it starts to take on a life of its own. Maybe they'll talk it up so much that when they actually hit the ice it will be a cakewalk compared to what everyone is expecting - some sort of second-coming of the 74' Flyers.

Why are you concerned with how the Rangers are approaching the series when you're not among the players and have zero idea how they're approaching anything? Likewise, how can you say you're "sure AVs game plan is centered around" anything? Based on what exactly?

Relax dude, we have an excellent hockey team with a very solid coaching staff. The team is poised, experienced, deep, adaptable and really good at finding ways to win against almost any style of play. Also, the hard hitting, physical team BS is over-blown. A lot of physical teams are golfing right now and every time we hear this narrative nothing really ever happens.

I'm not concerned with the Caps' hitting. They have a solid team and I am more concerned if something happens like they find consistency in their game. They're extremely good when at the top of their game, they just aren't there game in and game out. But they are nonetheless a very good hockey team and I expect the Rangers to come out harder and more focused than they did against that depleted Pens' team. Should be a good series, but if the NYR play their game, I think the Caps on their end have plenty to worry about in terms of how to beat a focused NYR squad.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
of course, this wouldn't be a problem if these d-men had any semblance of offensive creativity minus mcdonagh and yandle, but they don't, so ****ing keep it simple.

What about your boy Dan Boyle? The guy has his warts, but he's definitely creative/assertive offensively. How would you rank the defenseman in this series (including Caps defenseman) in order of offensive creativity? Here's my list:

Yandle
Carlson
Green
McDonagh
Boyle
Niskanen
Alzner
Klein
Girardi
Staal
Orpik
Gleason

Not seeing how that is a problem the Rangers need t be concerned about. Are your rankings a lot different than mine?

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
What about your boy Dan Boyle? The guy has his warts, but he's definitely creative/assertive offensively. How would you rank the defenseman in this series (including Caps defenseman) in order of offensive creativity? Here's my list:

Yandle
Carlson
Green
McDonagh
Boyle
Niskanen
Alzner
Klein
Girardi
Staal
Orpik
Gleason

Not seeing how that is a problem the Rangers need t be concerned about. Are your rankings a lot different than mine?

Boyle is definitely more offensive than McDonagh. Mike Green is also a shell of a shell of a shell of his former self i wouldn't rate him that high TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad