Pre-Game Talk: Caps @ Rangers - Metro Division Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010
I'd prefer the Islanders given that their defense is almost as banged up as Pittsburgh's and they'd be more fun to beat than the Caps (yet again). Also, it isn't much travel seeing as DC isn't exactly far away, but not having to get on a plane (also sleeping in own bed, practicing at our facility etc etc) could help the team as the playoffs continue.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
The answer is simple.

We want the Washington Capitals.

The reasoning?

Ask yourself this question (the people who live in the Metropolitan area will understand best)

In the event that we actually lose the series which is completely possible, anything can happen. Who would you rather LOSE too? The Caps or the Islanders?

The answer is simple for me. Definitely the Capitals. This ensures the Islanders do not win anything this year, and keeps their drought that much longer than ours. The amount of Islanders fans in this area, and the gloating they would be doing would be an all-time high, and would anger me to no end. It just can't happen.

Would beating the Islanders be amazing? Hell yes it would, but do you know the stress that would put on not only us as fans, but the series would be emotionally and physically grinding for both teams because of how much is at stake. That would effect them for the ECF if they won and got there.

For me, its simple. I want the Washington Capitals next round. We know them well, and play them well.

Heres to hoping the Caps get it done tonight, and keep the Islanders streak of not winning a playoff series in over 20 years to continue...:yo:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The idea of losing a series while being serenaded by YES YES YES YES makes me physically ill.

I also think the Caps are easier to "solve." Better job on Ove on the PPs than we did during the regular season (flashback to when we played a Triangle + 1 with someone on Ove), and we should have that series.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
I want the Islanders to win. I want the Islanders destroyed by the Rangers. No better way to close out the Coliseum. I'm sick of the them playing the Caps too, but that could just be me.

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Aug 1, 2007
Flushing, NY
I'm with nevesis on this for many of the same reasons.

But part of me wants to play the Isles because I feel it's the series the Rangers need to wake them up. They didn't play their best hockey in the first round and still came out on top.

Regardless of who it is. I hope to see much more intensity and fire in their game.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
And the Round 2 Opponent is...
The Caps or the Isles ;)

As for who we want as an opponent.. thats more difficult, but whoever it is, we'll beat them :)

But consider...the meltdown if we lost a playoff series to the Isles would be... epic is not a grand enough description of it, hehe

WeWillWinTonight

Apr 2, 2008
NY
Realistically we SHOULD beat either team.

Winning against the Islanders would be very nice, losing to them would be a disaster.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
I want the Islanders:
...Their "D" is seriously banged up.
...6,000 Rangers fans at NVMC neutralizes their biggest advantage
...It would be good for hockey in this area
...So tired of seeing Rangers vs. Caps in the playoffs

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
a matchup with the Isles is the "higher risk/higher reward" scenario.

i think we have a higher chance of losing that matchup than with the caps, b/c the isles overachieve against us and play their hearts out in those rival games. However, if we do beat the isles, then the reward is a lot more exciting than beating the caps.

uhh.. lets go caps lol

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
I want the Islanders:
...Their "D" is seriously banged up.
...6,000 Rangers fans at NVMC neutralizes their biggest advantage
...It would be good for hockey in this area
...So tired of seeing Rangers vs. Caps in the playoffs

i do seriously agree with u on this point tho

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
As someone who remembers when the Islanders tortured the Rangers back in the 80,s I want the Rangers to kick the crap out of the Islanders!

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
If we were to play the Isles and win..... whomever we were to play next would be guaranteed a win in the 1st game .... similar to when we played Montreal after they beat Boston last yr......

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I expect the opponent to be Washington.

Almost all of the Islander optimism seems to hang on Washington's history of "choking" in these games. I don't think the Islander fan base realizes how tough they're gonna be in tonight with half of their D out on the road. Washington has more or less dominated the Islanders in the last 2 games at Verizon Center, I expect that to continue.

If Halak isn't completely on his game, they'll be toast after 20.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't want the Isles, because I think they have a better chance of beating the Rangers than the Caps do. Also their lack of playoff series wins in 20+ years makes for great banter, so I want that to continue.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
I have confidence we would beat either one. The Islanders seem to play us pretty tough but with their D banged up we should win it in 6. I think we have the Caps number, and they are pretty top heavy, which our team seems to handle much better than depth.

Neither team really scares me, but id have to go with the Caps. Isles fans would be brutal if we managed to lose the series.

NICKtheGREEK

ΜΑΛΆΚΑ
Dec 4, 2011
Rangerstown
It seems that the Isles and Caps are pretty even so I think they will both pose the same challenge for us. I would love to see the Battle of New York in the playoffs though.

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
Ugh. I'm torn.

I think Isles will be the easier series but would also like to extend their winless drought for a playoff series.

On the other hand I'm sick and tired of playing the Craps every year.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Isles are better, but banged up and have a sieve in net. Caps suck. I feel like the Isles would be a tougher matchup

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010
Seems most of the arguments are "it would really suck to lose to the islanders". While this is true, I think the upside of beating them and closing down that dump of a rink makes it a wash. I also think the chances of beating them are higher than the Caps (given their defense injury situation).

Ticket prices will probably be lower for the Caps, so I guess there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad