Post-Game Talk: Caps Isles 700

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I don't think you really want to see 65 skating with Beagle no matter how well Beagle is playing. So putting Vrana doesn't seem to be of my value.

90-83-65 could be a wildcard, if you're rolling four lines.

8-19-14
13-92-77
90-83-65
26-20-43

There are worst ideas. We've already seen some of them...

The only real problem there is 8-19, but there's no way Vrana ends up with Backstrom on a shutdown line (unless he proves himself good enough to trial Tre Kronor II*).

*Honorary member. Speaks Swedish, played in the Swedish Elite league, European. Close enough.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
If Vrana can contribute at this level it would be massive for the team, it would allow for a lot more options for line combinations

90 19 77
8 20 13
65 92 14

8 19 90
13 92 77
65 20 14

13 19 77
8 92 90
65 20 14

90 19 65
8 92 77
13 20 14

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Interesting that Trotz said Carey could have beaten one of the 11 regulars (I.e. not Vrana) to a jersey tonight had he not got sick. Playing Carey over Winnik or Connolly would be a pretty big statement that Trotz is unhappy with the bottom six (given they've brought over two of Hershey's hottest scorers of late).

I caught this nugget too and was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully the Hershey players consistently challenge for spots and even more so I hope the Capitals brass actually promotes a legitimate competition for playing time rather than settling for the mediocre performances by many forwards so far.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Still time to fix it, but right now we're back to the Ovechkin line and three lines of anchors. Hopefully Oshie comes back soon and Vrana can add some speed and scoring.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Interesting that Trotz said Carey could have beaten one of the 11 regulars (I.e. not Vrana) to a jersey tonight had he not got sick. Playing Carey over Winnik or Connolly would be a pretty big statement that Trotz is unhappy with the bottom six (given they've brought over two of Hershey's hottest scorers of late).

I didn't read it that way at all. Connolly and Winnik have been scratched so that Sanford could play. Scratching either to make room for Carey would be about the same.

So my read on that is 65 or 14 or 43 are the players he is talking about there.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
So my read on that is 65 or 14 or 43 are the players he is talking about there.
There's no reason to assume that Trotz has anyone else in mind that hasn't already been on tenuous ground.

Trotz has talked about a couple of other things lately: adding speed and taking fewer penalties. My guess it would have been Connolly sitting due to his penalties. In any event, Oshie should be back soon. Then it gets interesting whether Vrana and Carey stick around and whether it's both Connolly and Winnik that sit.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Only reason Williams is not sitting is out of deference to his age and his track record. That won't last, if he continues to be as terrible as he's been so far this season. I say that as someone who likes the guy - but his hockey has been woeful.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Let hope he is.... Vrana the Piranha

I like that he has bulked up. Maybe he'll whack an unsuspecting fish stick in his yuteful exuberance. Yar.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Do games played / # days trump talent level, and reasonable expectations?

It would seem so in the do just enough if not take the L graciously era.

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
Unleash the kids! Let them play in transition, a fast-paced style for God's sake.

High risk, high reward type of move. Connoly and the likes of Sanford/Winnik won't put the Caps over the hump. I'm glad Trotz finally can see this.

Barry Trotz :clap::clap::clap::clap:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It would be interesting to see the Caps ripped as slackers for losing the 3rd in 4 nights and then getting no cred for beating a team on a 3rd in 4 nights.

Well let's think about how your hypothetical complaint might become possible. If a team that's had nearly a week off comes out flat and has no jump, but the team that's played 3 in 4 has more energy (and more than the Caps did in the same situation last week), is that a good thing? If the Caps get outplayed tonight and limp to a 2-1 win, everyone needs to just shut up or else they're hypocrites?

Hockey analysis. Who needs it. Just shake the pom-poms.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Only reason Williams is not sitting is out of deference to his age and his track record. That won't last, if he continues to be as terrible as he's been so far this season. I say that as someone who likes the guy - but his hockey has been woeful.

Williams is living off his reputation. I think Father Time finally caught him. In all his interviews he talks about how much faster the league is getting. Seems to me like he is aware of his weaknesses. Really love the guy, he was solid for us last year.

This is one of the reasons why we need Kuzy to wake up. He makes Burt and JW infinitely better.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Do games played / # days trump talent level, and reasonable expectations?

It would seem so in the do just enough if not take the L graciously era.

Yes, RH. Hockey is a sport where full effort trumps ability. A good team not putting in a full effort loses with consistency and gets the coach fired. New coach and the team suddenly is hot. We've seen it over and over in the NHL. That's all effort.

So, if one team is fresh and another team had played the night before, the fresh team has the advantage. If the fresh team is also the home team, its evey more so.

You know this stuff. Its why Trotz talks Will and Skill. Its why Bruce talks about the Will and the Want to. If we are hating on Trotz, then that all sounds like a load of ****. If he is coach of the year, then its brilliant. effort and focus and sacrifice

One more thing. Coaches and players of the rested team with regularity talk about having to jump on that tired team quick. If playing the night before was really not an issue, then players and coaches wouldn't single it out like that.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I like that they're trying out Niskanen on PP1, Carlson has been pretty useless.

Niskanen has been on pp1 for a number of games now. Trotz indicated with comments this week that "Carly....is overthinking it." He said that he was "knicked up in the world cup and to start the season" and lost his confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad