Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Buying out Orpik saves I think $4M against the cap because 2/3 the salary is spread out over 2 years, either $4M or 2/3 of $5.5M if it’s based on salary or cap number

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
3 Million extra in space gets you Carlson, DSP, Beagle back in....you make that trade all day every day.

Not me. With all due respect to Beagle and DSP, we have guys on the team right now that can step into those roles, and that turnover will help us quantify and develop what we have on the farm.

I get your frustration with Burakovsky, but he's 23, was constantly in Trotz's doghouse, bounced all over the lineup, and the injuries he's had were mostly the types of things that could happen to anyone and aren't lingering. I'm with you that he only stood out in that one game, but he played really well from that point forward. He moved very well with the puck, was in the mix physically, backchecked well, picked a few pockets... The kid can play.

What I see from him mostly is immaturity. He's a goofball, and he could stand to grow up a bit. But that's true of most people at 23. We don't need the money that badly, and keep in mind that your casual dismissal of him as a Caps fan probably speaks volumes about his actual value to other teams. They see the same goofball that only stood out for one playoff game, too. You're not going to get a monster return.

If it turns out I'm wrong and we trade him for something great, I'm okay with that. But punting early on him specifically to keep an aging 4C and a 4W taking up a valuable prospect spot? No, thanks.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Hall seems like a cool kid. Unless we don't like him.

I liked him better when he was on Saved by the Bell.

images

Reactions: RandyHolt

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So Grubauer is still on the team. Interesting,

Perhaps you keep him as an asset in case they can't sign Carlson to try to help acquire a d-man.

Now that they finally got a cap idea, expect things to move in next few days. Gmbm was likely waiting for cap announcement

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Buying out Orpik saves I think $4M against the cap because 2/3 the salary is spread out over 2 years, either $4M or 2/3 of $5.5M if it’s based on salary or cap number

No....there will still be dead cap space....not only this year, but next. It wont "save" the team anything (perhaps Leonsis some coin, but thats not pertinent).

It would be completely foolish for the team to buy him out. If they want to move on from him, trade him with retained salary. It's the same impact to the cap this year (at most 2.75, or less), and NO impact to 2019-2020.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Dont care about awards and votings one bit. Nobody is catching Ovi in terms of individual awards from his generation. And time will tell if McDavid can catch him. Maybe few generations.

I think Richard next year will be enough. Maybe Messier award too? And a little silver cup.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ovie is a victim of his own success. He's supposed to score 50 goals every year so it's not an accomplishment for him any more.
Good news is they are making goalie equipment smaller next season. Maybe Ovi should aim for 60. Why not? Quicker he gets to 700, more motivation to be in shape further.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
No....there will still be dead cap space....not only this year, but next. It wont "save" the team anything (perhaps Leonsis some coin, but thats not pertinent).

It would be completely foolish for the team to buy him out. If they want to move on from him, trade him with retained salary. It's the same impact to the cap this year (at most 2.75, or less), and NO impact to 2019-2020.
Whether or not you think it's the correct strategy or if Orpik has trade value with a $3.5-4M salary releasing him saves 1/3 of his salary and amortized cap number and my explanation of how buyouts work in the CBA is factually correct.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Whether or not you think it's the correct strategy or if Orpik has trade value with a $3.5-4M salary releasing him saves 1/3 of his salary and amortized cap number and my explanation of how buyouts work in the CBA is factually correct.

Did someone state they didn't understand how it works? Did we need that dropped on the group?

Try Orpik at 2.75-3m in salary and see if he has value. If you want to get specfic, it would be Orpik at 3m exactly (which would mirror the 2.5m in dead cap space).

Again, bringing up a buy out seems like a waste of discussion....or worse. Not sure what the point was.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Im done with his potential.

Im done with his inability to score.

Im done with his inability to stay healthy.

Yeah, he had a great game 7 against Tampa...but Im not sold on his longterm potential here.

Let him find it somewhere else and bring back the 2 dudes that showed up when it counted....and will cost as much as the one who barley did.
I understand your frustration with Burakovsky and share them as well, but somethings to consider and that are being overlooked regarding his performance in the SC finals. As you mentioned there were the two great goals in the Conference finals against TB but in the Finals he had two sweet passes/assists, one to Kempny who then made the great pass to Eller for the goal but in game 5 in the third period it was him who passed from the side below the dots out to Connolly who subsequently took the shot with Eller picking up the rebound for the winning goal. The kid still has potential and I like him on that third line.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Buying out Orpik isn’t really an option. It only saves $1.5m against the cap. Trading him is though and if we have to trade either Orpik or Burt to sign our big FA’s, it has to be Orpik. You guys talking about trading Burt to sign DSP and Beagle are losing it.

Re Orpik: no chance they buy him out. Zero. And not because of his a lie etc...,because it would make 1000x more sense to trade him retained. Buy out will count 2.5m vs cap this year as it is (and 1.5m next year).....so a 2.5m retained Orpik would get a nice return. At 3m he’s a huge add to someone.

Re Burakovsky: you aren’t just letting him go. You are getting futures prospects and/or picks back. Which this team needs badly. So it’s Beagle/DSP and a nice futures haul instead of Bura. So basically our Cup winning/PK’ing/Clutch 4th line and at least 1-2 major futures parts —versus — an middle 6W that they won the Cup without (for the most part)

Seems a no brainer to me

Did someone state they didn't understand how it works? Did we need that dropped on the group?

Try Orpik at 2.75-3m in salary and see if he has value. If you want to get specfic, it would be Orpik at 3m exactly (which would mirror the 2.5m in dead cap space).

Again, bringing up a buy out seems like a waste of discussion....or worse. Not sure what the point was.
Page before had 2 different explanations a few posts apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad