Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Training Camp Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Malenstyn has ten years on Hagelin. It's risky to go too far away from proven NHL PKers but it would fit the recent trend. I do think Beck's size and physicality may be more in line with what Laviolette ideally wants from that line 5-on-5, perhaps sparking even more agitation from Hathaway. They did protect TVR over Schultz, Dillon and Jensen so they do prioritize cap value. Malenstyn makes the roster at least I think. If AJF & Geersten were claimed on waivers, surely Malenstyn would? (I also think teams needing a depth center could give Pilon a try and it may cause them to send Lapierre back to the Q.)

If they're prepared to move Hagelin's contract, find a way to find a taker for Kempny and let Schultz walk suddenly that's a lot of cap space in the summer to spend on either a defenseman or a goaltender. It would pave the way for an opportunity to most easily restructure and perhaps open up some spots for youth. Sprong & Dowd will need raises. The young goaltenders would but nothing too hefty unless they break out. (The goaltender UFA crop looks weak at best.) They'd also need to pay futures if they restructure via trade, which may be prohibitive. But next summer in UFA there's potentially Lindholm, Klingberg, Ekholm & Manson on D that could provide a 2/3 boost. I'd get on with extension talks to Sprong & Dowd now, at least exploratory talks. Getting them secured at decent rates has little downside given their usage, productivity and fit.

Reactions: DWGie26

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Predictions for the final opening roster?

I want it to shake out like this but probably won’t when it comes to the extras.

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Wilson

Mantha - Eller - Sprong

Sheary - McMichael - Oshie

Malenstyn - Dowd - Hathaway

Fever - Carlson

Orlov - Schultz

TVR - Jensen

Extras:
Hagelin
Irwin

I'd be kind of shocked if Hagelin isn't in the lineup, barring a trade or something weird. The 4th line from last year was very good and used quite a bit more than most 4th lines around the league. I don't see them altering that line unless they have to get rid of Hagelin's salary for a bigger move. I get wanting to go younger, but they should do that by replacing ineffective players like Kempny and Schultz rather than just doing it to do it.

Assuming Ovechkin is healthy I think they're just going to roll with:

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Sprong-Eller-Mantha
Sheary-McMichael-Oshie
Hagelin-Dowd-Hathaway

Fehervary-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
TVR-Schultz

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
@Beck

he's playing balls to the wall right now and Hags has nothing to prove

I doubt Malenstyn will be able to maintain highest quality of play for full season and playoffs. this is where you need actual experience

but keeping him as 13th and then full time next season seems like way to go

Reactions: TheLegendOfPatPeake

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Malenstyn had a great game last night and looked well on the 4th. Keep him as the 13thF as long as you can. I think he gets a claim

For “final” roster I would have:

ovechkin-kuzy-wilson
mantha-eller-sprong
sheary-mcmichael-oshie
hagelin-dowd-hathaway
malenstyn

tvr-carlson
orlov-jensen
fehervary-schultz
kempny

samsonov
vitek

LTIR: Backstrom

that would still leave a spot for a 14th F or 8D. Maybe keep Lapierre around for a bit, keep Pilon, or keep Irwin. Also the D pairs, no idea what they go with. Feels like we will see a lot of Kempny/Fever/TVR shuffling

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
If they're prepared to move Hagelin's contract, find a way to find a taker for Kempny and let Schultz walk suddenly that's a lot of cap space in the summer to spend on either a defenseman or a goaltender.

- $4 million
- $2.75 million
- $2.5 million
‐-------------------
- $9.25 million with no need to give Backstrom and Ovechkin a new contract

giphy.webp

We could get our very own Bobrovsky :sarcasm:

crab

Jan 26, 2019
@Beck

he's playing balls to the wall right now and Hags has nothing to prove

I doubt Malenstyn will be able to maintain highest quality of play for full season and playoffs. this is where you need actual experience

but keeping him as 13th and then full time next season seems like way to go

ya lofty expectations to replace Hagelin’s 3 assist in 20 playoffs games.

Caps need to move on from Hagelin due to his overpriced contract for what he is at this point. Same thing with Schultz and Kempny (should have a chance to see if he can bounce back but doubtful).

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
We can only keep 23 on the opening roster. Assume Backstrom to LTIR. I think you have to keep Malenstyn and Pilon on roster with forward/center injuries. You keep Fever and spot in Kempny but don’t send him down. He could trend up and be valuable and we don’t care about his cap hit with Backstrom on LTIR.

With that said, you have to send Jimi to Q immediately and I think Irwin to AHL. Same with Fucale. That leaves 23 on roster.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
If OV is Healthy;

2021-202223
OVKuzyWilson FeverCarlsonSamsonov BackstromLTIR
SprongEllerMantha OrlovJensenVanechekLapierreQMJHL
ShearyMcMichaelOshie TVRSchultz IrwinAHL
MalenstynDowdHathaway Kempny
HagsPilon
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Agains the Rangers I would like to see Malenstyn in and Hags eating popcorn. Take it from there. And if we get a good offer for Hags then move him. but injuries will happen and with Backstrom out we can carry his shitty cap. This is about putting the best players on the ice and not having a cap problem short term.

If OV out for some time (but not LTIR) then either Oshie or Mantha to top line. Hags on third and Malenstyn on 4th.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
We can only keep 23 on the opening roster. Assume Backstrom to LTIR. I think you have to keep Malenstyn and Pilon on roster with forward/center injuries. You keep Fever and spot in Kempny but don’t send him down. He could trend up and be valuable and we don’t care about his cap hit with Backstrom on LTIR.

With that said, you have to send Jimi to Q immediately and I think Irwin to AHL. Same with Fucale. That leaves 23 on roster.
With OV injury, Lapierre should stay, for at least the 9 game tryout.

Put CMM at LW on line 2, and let Jimi center the 3rd.

Hagelin won’t drive any offense. Bumping him up to line 3 will just drag down that line.

Reactions: um

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
With OV injury, Lapierre should stay, for at least the 9 game tryout.

Put CMM at LW on line 2, and let Jimi center the 3rd.

Hagelin won’t drive any offense. Bumping him up to line 3 will just drag down that line.
But we can only keep 23. that is why Jimi has to go back to Q now. That is the problem.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
But we can only keep 23. that is why Jimi has to go back to Q now. That is the problem.
If they go 14F, 7D, 2G then that would be Malenstyn and Lapierre as extras with Backstrom LTIR. Waive Pilon and Irwin. They can keep Lapierre around for a bit even if he’s not playing. Won’t hurt for a week or two or three until we know Ovi/Backstrom are healthy and McMichael is the real deal. He will still get plenty of games in the Q this year if we send him back a few weeks.

of course if they’d just rather send him now then that’s cool too, but it may be safer to let him hang around for a bit in case another injury happens or if both Backstrom/Ovi are out long term. Once we send him to the Q he’s there all year

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
If you knew Pilon would get claimed, is that worth it for a 9 game taste for Jimi?

I think Pilon is fairly ready for his bottom-6 NHL shot like Mal is.
This. Pilon can play center or right wing. And he is ready now. Jimi is not. Great story this year and his future is bright but I wouldn’t want to lose Pilon to give Jimi more time around the team. I’m not even sure if he’ll be ready next year. Kid is only 19 and we need him to develop physically and work on his game.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Thinking beyond Backstrom’s return, what’s the feeling on whether Hagelin would get claimed on waivers? Useful player to many teams, no doubt at all, but would anyone take him with his cap hit and remaining term? Same Q for Jensen and Kempny?

If one or more of those players could be safely waived, and could be replaced at practice or in games by other guys on the roster, it could be a creative way to effectively increase the number of roster spots or bank some cap space. None would necessarily need to report to Hershey, just be off the roster on paper on alternate days. If only two of them were on the roster at any time, you could keep a Malenstyn or Pilon for longer without risking them to waivers.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Thinking beyond Backstrom’s return, what’s the feeling on whether Hagelin would get claimed on waivers? Useful player to many teams, no doubt at all, but would anyone take him with his cap hit and remaining term? Same Q for Jensen and Kempny?

If one or more of those players could be safely waived, and could be replaced at practice or in games by other guys on the roster, it could be a creative way to effectively increase the number of roster spots or bank some cap space. None would necessarily need to report to Hershey, just be off the roster on paper on alternate days. If only two of them were on the roster at any time, you could keep a Malenstyn or Pilon for longer without risking them to waivers.
There is no chance Hagelin would get claimed on waivers. Same for Kempny.

Unfortunately, that may cost us Pilon. But IMO, we have a better chance at a good start to the beginning of the season with JImi in the top 9. None of Hagelin, Mal or Pilon would help ease the offensive stress if OV misses time.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
If they're prepared to move Hagelin's contract, find a way to find a taker for Kempny and let Schultz walk suddenly that's a lot of cap space in the summer to spend on either a defenseman or a goaltender.

Kempny’s a UFA at the end of the year, too, so no need to move him unless you want to spend during this season. Only Carlson, Orlov, Jensen and TVR under one-way contracts for next year on the backend, and the latter three are UFAs the year after. But even with Fever and Alexeyev pencilled in, the chances are they’ll want to spend money bolstering that top-4.

Goaltending and Sprong could get expensive depending on how their seasons go. All the savings from Schultz could go to Vitek and Samsonov easily - if Vanecek gets more than 30 starts and has respectable numbers, I don’t see how he doesn’t get at least what Sammy’s on now. Likewise, the one year deal for Sammy suggests to me GMBM is hoping to sign him long-term if he plays well enough (like when Orlov signed a one year ‘show me’ deal when he first moved to the top-4). It fits with the ‘the Caps desperately want Samsonov to grab the starters net’ narrative going around.

Sprong has arbitration rights, and the Caps have shown a nervousness around qualifying middle-six wingers who are arb eligible (think Connolly and Vrana). If he gets close to top-6 minutes and puts up good numbers, the chances are he’s getting paid more than we’d like or he’s on another team next season.

I agree there are opportunities for restructuring, but I think a lot of the savings that could be had could well end up being spent on areas where we currently get good value for money, or on replacing those players with more Hagelin/Panik/Jensen-type vets to replace younger guys we won’t resign.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Just bumped into Nic Dowd at a Halloween pop up store. Wished him good luck and asked if OV was Ok and he said he hopes so but he doesn’t know much. I’m sure even if he did he would say the same thing.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm not surprised they're sending Kempny down, I'm more surprised that they're banking on Matt Irwin as 3LD.

Team desperately needs a LD, I figured they'd at least attempt to address that after letting Chara walk and trading Dillon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad