Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019 Offseason Pt. 4: Nobody Panik!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Pt. 3

giphy.gif

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Surely, Calgary would like to sign Holtby

But if he doesn't like it there? :)

Then he can go home to dry his tears on cash money while eating Canadian comfort food (pancakes? poutine?) from his mom down the street.

I would.

Reactions: RandyHolt

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Good old Canadian boy.....seems as likely as any place.

Yeah, I meant that's his home. He lives right next to Alberta.

I'm not under the illusion that Holtby will take less to stay with the Caps, nor should he.

If he has the chance to break the bank at one of the Alberta teams right next to his home where he can easily go and eat his mom's homemade pancakes, poutine or butter tarts (I just looked that up haha) and what not.. he should totally go for it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, I meant that's his home. He lives right next to Alberta.

I'm not under the illusion that Holtby will take less to stay with the Caps, nor should he.

If he has the chance to break the bank at one of the Alberta teams right next to his home where he can come and eat homemade pancakes, poutine, butter tarts (I just looked that up haha) and what not.. he should totally go for it.

I agree.....unless they absolutely love it here, they should take the payday that sets up his family for life.

What could he honestly even consider if he wanted to offer something so he could stay? 8milx7? Painful for the Caps.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I agree.....unless they absolutely love it here, they should take the payday that sets up his family for life.

What could he honestly even consider if he wanted to offer something so he could stay? 8milx7? Painful for the Caps.

I really don't know. Everytime I think of Bobrovsky's 10mil x 7.. and think Holtby is a bigger star than Bob, better numbers over his career, bigger moments, Vezina as well, Cup winner...

And then see the Goalie market next to Holtby next year...

I don't think there is a way for him not to leave.. From both his perspective and the Caps perspective.

At least he has incentive to perform well with us this year being a contract year.

Edit: actually Bob has the better (barely) overall RS numbers, Holtby for PO numbers

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I haven't a clue what Holtby wants nor what Fishman has layed out. Players take less money to stay or to go to a location all the time. Its part of being a free agent and being able to work where you want to and decide what contract terms you want.

Holtby has been makin $6m a year for several years now. If his family isn't set for life by now, I don't know what to say. The same things apply to Holtby that apply to Ovechkin and Backstrom. Do you either of those guys are going to be demanding market money to stay? Do you think Ov would take a significant pay cut to win another cup or 2?

Reactions: zappa4ever

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Forgot to mention that the Flames also have 34 mil in cap space next season with their core guys all locked up.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
OV will always have a place in this organization too--if he wants. Ted will always take care of him and Backstrom, I don't think money will be as important to them, but like I said, if I'm Backstrom I'll take a moderate raise for my past success.

We can all go back and forth for the next year, but you weigh the pros with keeping Holtby after this season and the cons with letting him leave. I go back and forth myself. All in all, to keep us competitive for the next 3-5 years I think using his money in other areas will be better overall. It'll be interesting to see though.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I haven't a clue what Holtby wants nor what Fishman has layed out. Players take less money to stay or to go to a location all the time. Its part of being a free agent and being able to work where you want to and decide what contract terms you want.

Holtby has been makin $6m a year for several years now. If his family isn't set for life by now, I don't know what to say. The same things apply to Holtby that apply to Ovechkin and Backstrom. Do you either of those guys are going to be demanding market money to stay? Do you think Ov would take a significant pay cut to win another cup or 2?

No, you are right. I don't have a clue what Holtby wants, or what the plan is.

But if you start adding things up, the more clearer the picture gets.

And its not as if he's leaving here to go to some hockey backwater like Bob. He might have a chance to go near home, and play for one of the marquee Canadian franchises in the league. That's usually a good thing.

Chance to get paid big $$$ and be acknowledged as one of the top G
Chance to go close to home
Highly rated and highly invested prospect behind you
Cold-blooded GMBM
Team up against the cap with Backstrom and Ovie needing new deals
+ Butter tarts
-----------------------------------------------
Clearer Picture

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
No, you are right. I don't have a clue what Holtby wants, or what the plan is.

But if you start adding things up, the more clearer the picture gets.

And its not as if he's leaving here to go to some hockey backwater like Bob. He might have a chance to go near home, and play for one of the marquee Canadian franchises in the league. That's usually a good thing.

Chance to get paid big $$$ and be acknowledged as one of the top G
Chance to go close to home
Highly rated and highly invested prospect behind you
Cold-blooded GMBM
+ Butter tarts
-----------------------------------------------
Clearer Picture

I don't know where home is for Holtby. I recognize he is from the famous Alberta farm and all but he was recently at the DC Pride Parade and I am fairly confident that he and his wife didn't fly in special for that. It indicates that his home is in Washington.

He is already acknowledged as one of the league's top goaltenders. That is what the Vezina Trophy and the All Star games are for. Its unknown if its important to Mr Zen to be the highest paid goalie.

I expect that Holtby will leave after this season. I am not certain of that, however, and even less certain that Samsonov is a sure fire stud.

Jun 15, 2007
I don't think it's a coincidence Calgary signed a goalie for only one season.

They're gonna come at Holtby hard.

Reactions: Sam Spade

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I expect that Holtby will leave after this season. I am not certain of that, however, and even less certain that Samsonov is a sure fire stud.

That's one thing I've learned on this long weary road called life. Nothing is ever certain :wally:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
They do? Looks like it's a lot less than that with like 7 guys off the books or RFA.

?

Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 5.02.23 PM.png

Tkachuk and Bennett will be signed this summer so yes some cap will be taken up. On D Giordono and Hanifan are locked up as well. Brodie has been rumored to be getting traded so I don't think he is a "core" guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce