Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 Still The Champs/TDL Edition - Pt. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Don't agree with this. I think Boyd is a prime candidate to be removed from the lineup at some point, possibly when the winning streak ends.

I think they'll give DSP a game or two in the playoffs to see if he can recapture the magic but I imagine they will not have much patience if he continues to play how he has this regular season.
Saw Boyd hurriedly cough up a puck to the Jets in the D zone he was trying to get out in order to avoid a hit along the wall. It was just the kind of play that Jaskin was able to successfully make all year (and that DSP made for the rest of the playoffs after that 1 bad turnover along the boards he had in round 1 I think it was) - absorb a hit, and move the puck to the right place. Have some questions about whether Boyd is playoff-ready. On the other hand is high-end (for a 4th liner) skill-set has helped to make Burakovsky a pretty threatening trigger man on that line. So will just have to trust Todd to put together the right combination of 4th line pieces at the right time.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He either somehow produces enough to help the team win the Cup or make the finals (this team won't win the cup with one of its best 9 forwards having 2 pts at the end) or I don't want him on the team next season. I think that's obvious from my last post.

Sure. Its obvious that you don't want him if he doesn't produce. You are also saying that if he produces, the Caps cant afford him.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Sure. Its obvious that you don't want him if he doesn't produce. You are also saying that if he produces, the Caps cant afford him.
Why? Depends on what his demands are. He is not getting 3.5-4M from anyone at this point of his career (unless he goes on a tear in the postseason). If he proves he's a legit player on both ends of the ice when it counts, I would be interested in bringing him back. It's simple. Deliver and you'll get rewarded.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Boyd Making Most of Opportunities

Boyd's been efficient in his limited time on the ice this season. He's tied with Winnipeg's Jack Roslovic for the most points in the NHL (19) among players who have skated fewer than 11 minutes per game. What's more, Roslovic has played in 66 games with 45:39 of power-play time compared with Boyd's 42 appearances with just 12:39 minutes on the man-advantage.

"He's been able to find ways to contribute offensively and provide a spark to the fourth line," coach Todd Reirden said. "He's not getting power play time right now, so it's difficult to put numbers up, but he's been doing it on five-on-five."

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
There's a lot of room between 1.5 and 3.0m just as a place to start. Second, its an $8m 3rd line now. Is 10m that much more? For a team that historically takes a lot of minor penalties, having an game changer penalty killer like Hagelin is a good thing. That he seems to have nearly seamless chemistry with this team is just another thing to consider.

So, If he wants to go for another big payday and there is another big payday out there for him, I don't see an opportunity to keep him. At the same time a one year $1.5m contract is unnecessarily low. That falls into the we don't want you category. If he signed a 2 year contract at between $2.0 and 2.25m, I would be fine with that considering the role he plays and the ice time he eats. His playoff experience is valuable too. No way I choose Riley Barber over either Connolly or Hagelin, if keeping the veterans is an option.

I hear you regarding PK. At $2m for two years, I don't know which way to go.

I feel like we are in honeymoon period with Hagelin. He is new, he fills a spot that has been occupied by borderline NHLers, he's been effective and the team has been winning since he got here. You have to experience this guy when the team is on a 6 game losing streak, struggling to score and Hagelin has 1 goal in past 45 games.

Really, if Stephenson took his head out of his ass and applied himself, he could be everything that Hagelin is for fraction of the cost.

Reactions: Jags

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Boyd Making Most of Opportunities

Boyd's been efficient in his limited time on the ice this season. He's tied with Winnipeg's Jack Roslovic for the most points in the NHL (19) among players who have skated fewer than 11 minutes per game. What's more, Roslovic has played in 66 games with 45:39 of power-play time compared with Boyd's 42 appearances with just 12:39 minutes on the man-advantage.

"He's been able to find ways to contribute offensively and provide a spark to the fourth line," coach Todd Reirden said. "He's not getting power play time right now, so it's difficult to put numbers up, but he's been doing it on five-on-five."

That side of his game is promising no doubt. It’s the other end that concerns me. (At least going in these playoffs)

Last edited:

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
That side of his game is promising no doubt. It’s the other end that concerns me.

I mean, I just don't know what you expect of a first year 4th liner that plays such small minutes. He's a positive 6 +/- on the season at least.

Bura credits him with helping him out on the 4th line:

"I'm happy to play with Travis - he's making it easy for me," said Andre Burakovsky, who's on a three-game goal streak with six points (4g, 2a) in the last seven games. "I think he's really good at protecting the puck in the corners and finding passes and open lanes. Definitely a guy who I think will continue to put up good numbers."

As for the playoffs, DSP helped us win a Cup last season and will always be appreciated, but that was unexpected, totally out of nowhere.

I don't see us really messing with 65-26-72 line unless things get really bad or injuries.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I mean, I just don't know what you expect of a first year 4th liner that plays such small minutes. He's a positive 6 +/- on the season at least.

Bura credits him with helping him out on the 4th line:

"I'm happy to play with Travis - he's making it easy for me," said Andre Burakovsky, who's on a three-game goal streak with six points (4g, 2a) in the last seven games. "I think he's really good at protecting the puck in the corners and finding passes and open lanes. Definitely a guy who I think will continue to put up good numbers."

As for the playoffs, DSP helped us win a Cup last season and will always be appreciated, but that was unexpected, totally out of nowhere.

I don't see us really messing with 65-26-72 line unless things get really bad or injuries.

What I expect? That he’s likely replaced in the lineup during the postseason. It’s not some indictment, it’s an assessment of his undeveloped game and lack of experience. All he has to do is hold onto his own spot honestly.

Reactions: tenken00

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I actually think Boyd is a very talented and efficient player. Has the skill, playmaking, and instincts of a top-six forward. Hopefully he can get a chance in the top-nine one day. For now, him and Bura are a mismatch nightmare on the fourth line for our opposition. In fact, our fourth line would be a lot of teams’ third lines.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think his offensive skills definitely rate more towards the high end for the bottom-6 for sure...definitely a middle-6 hopeful.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Really, if Stephenson took his head out of his ass and applied himself, he could be everything that Hagelin is for fraction of the cost.

I don’t think assertiveness is something Stephenson will just pick up one day. It’s something that is fundamentally lacking from his game. The difference between he and other fast players like Hagelin and Vrana is enormous. The latter two have weaknesses but they consistently attack and use their speed to put pressure on the opponent, unlike Stephenson where his speed is only a useful tool when he’s under no pressure himself.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why? Depends on what his demands are. He is not getting 3.5-4M from anyone at this point of his career (unless he goes on a tear in the postseason). If he proves he's a legit player on both ends of the ice when it counts, I would be interested in bringing him back. It's simple. Deliver and you'll get rewarded.

Of course. All of this depends on. Depends on his play. Depends on his production. Depends on his overall impact. Depends on his demands. Depends on whether he wants to stay. Depends on a lot of stuff. Lets move on.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I hear you regarding PK. At $2m for two years, I don't know which way to go.

I feel like we are in honeymoon period with Hagelin. He is new, he fills a spot that has been occupied by borderline NHLers, he's been effective and the team has been winning since he got here. You have to experience this guy when the team is on a 6 game losing streak, struggling to score and Hagelin has 1 goal in past 45 games.

Not sure exactly that he fills a spot occupied by borderline NHL'rs. Effectively he is replacing Beagle. He's not a center, but in the overall scheme of the team, he is taking Beagle's spot on PK1. That's his primary role. That is where the hole has been. Beagle.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
Just not as mic-drop’ish lol....
Haha, for sure. I just mean to say he’s trending in the right direction and, hopefully, this is a sign of him getting h0t at just the right time. I have to imagine five points in two games and a hat trick last game has given him a decent boost of confidence. I am also hoping that if he does well down there and gets bigger minutes, this will help him play himself into better shape again- at least enough to perform at a higher level on the fourth line anyway. We shall see.

Also, DSP would just add to the overall depth of the team. Regardless of who is the regular starter, somebody will need to step up if/when injuries happen. Having both Boyd and DSP in the mix would be a nice luxury depth wise. Bura has an unfortunate tendency to acquire injuries and, if he is out at some point, somebody else has to step up as the shooter on that line. Although, if Bura got hurt, I wonder if they wouldn’t insert Stephenson to replace the lost speed on the line. I get the impression Reirden appears to prefer having the balance of an elite speed player on each line when possible. Either way, it’s better to have options.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
What DSP brings is what's becoming ever-more-rare -- the heavy game (literally)
He was a bull in the playoffs, laid heavy hits, tough in corners, and made his way to the crease a lot, luckily had good enough hands and soccer skills to finish a bunch

Excepting NYI, few teams have a bruising bottom-6'er anymore, who's gonna hit you from PIT, Garret Wilson LOL

Reactions: Futures Passed

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
He was a bull in the playoffs, laid heavy hits, tough in corners, and made his way to the crease a lot, luckily had good enough hands and soccer skills to finish a bunch

Excepting NYI, few teams have a bruising bottom-6'er anymore, who's gonna hit you from PIT, Garret Wilson LOL

Can't be DeVante Pot-Belly anymore to actually use that girth on people first. :laugh:

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I don’t think assertiveness is something Stephenson will just pick up one day. It’s something that is fundamentally lacking from his game. The difference between he and other fast players like Hagelin and Vrana is enormous. The latter two have weaknesses but they consistently attack and use their speed to put pressure on the opponent, unlike Stephenson where his speed is only a useful tool when he’s under no pressure himself.

Oh, I know. I'm more hoping than projecting. Mind you, how did Burakovsky suddenly turn into a board battle winning monster? Miracles can happen.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice

Caps were ready and OK to lose him on waivers. Zero chance we will see DSP in playoffs this year. Coach has another plan/system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad