Caps future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Well now that the dust has settled on the house cleaning I'm thinking the Caps are in a pretty damn good position prospect-wise. Considering they were ranked 2nd before adding 4 of their now top 7 prospects (though at the time I think a 2nd ranking was a bit much) and 3 first rounders a 2 2nds coming things look pretty good for the future.....god knows they'll need it.

Anybody got any info on the guys they got yesterday (Aulid, Klepis)?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The 2nd overall ranking was insanely high IMO(the whole list was bad honestly), but they're definitely in the top 5 prospect wise to me.

After the upcoming draft they could find themselves in the the top 3 in my list.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I like what the Caps have done too, people might insult the return they got on some of their deals, but the fact always is that you have to pick the elite players yourself, they just don't get traded, thats why trading for draft picks is so effective IMO.

Ouellet, Fehr, Aulin, Fleischmann, Klepis, Daigneault, Laich, Yonkman, Gordon, Johansson, Fussey (my personal fave), Cutta, Stana, Nepriayev

AND 3 firsts and 2 seconds to join that group just this summer :eek:

Not to mention young players that aren't HF 'prospects' anymore like..
Semin, Eminger, Morrisonn (an absolute steal, he's gonna be good IMO) and Sutherby, Pettinger. :eek:

Thats crazy.

The Jerk*

The few times this season I've seen Semin play this season, his dispaly of skills has been absolutlely sick. I remember one play where he made Eric Brewer look really foolish..

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
kruezer said:
I like what the Caps have done too, people might insult the return they got on some of their deals, but the fact always is that you have to pick the elite players yourself, they just don't get traded, thats why trading for draft picks is so effective IMO.

Ouellet, Fehr, Aulin, Fleischmann, Klepis, Daigneault, Laich, Yonkman, Gordon, Johansson, Fussey (my personal fave), Cutta, Stana, Nepriayev

AND 3 firsts and 2 seconds to join that group just this summer :eek:

Not to mention young players that aren't HF 'prospects' anymore like..
Semin, Eminger, Morrisonn (an absolute steal, he's gonna be good IMO) and Sutherby, Pettinger. :eek:

Thats crazy.

I feel the same way. As long as Ouellet and half of these kids reach their potential I think they'll have a nucleus to rival any team out there....save MAYBE Ottawa....especially if they land Ovechkin or Malkin.

I completely agree on Morrisonn. He looked great against Philly and the couple Bruins games I saw this year. I really think this kid is gonna be a real good one....actually glad they took the B's offer than T.O.'s offer now. My question to you is what do you like so much about Fussey (got called up today BTW)....he really hasn't done a whole lot to distinguish himself yet.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
vik said:
The few times this season I've seen Semin play this season, his dispaly of skills has been absolutlely sick. I remember one play where he made Eric Brewer look really foolish..

Well now that they don't have any players left they're actually givin the kid some playing time and he's put up a respectable 3 points his last 6 games. My only worry with him is that he's really invisible most of a game but then, as with that sick Brewer play, he'll show something absolutely brilliant.....I don't know if this is just the normal 19 year old thing, coupled with him not knowing the language or a sign of him being lazy on the ice and taking alot of shifts off. I do know one thing, if Semin ever puts all those flashes he shows into a consistant player he'll be an absolutely sick player. :D

Frolov

Nov 24, 2003
Aulin is an above average prospect. He's got the skill to be a good 2nd line center. He'll likely top out at 20-25 goals and 30-40 assists. But there is an injury concern with him. He's yet to play a game after his shoulder injury when he was backing up Camelleri in a fight during prospect camp ( very brave move by Jared ).

We hate to see him go but he was the most expendable prospect we have that anyone else would want.

jincargo

Jan 28, 2004
Frolov said:
Aulin is an above average prospect. He's got the skill to be a good 2nd line center. He'll likely top out at 20-25 goals and 30-40 assists. But there is an injury concern with him. He's yet to play a game after his shoulder injury when he was backing up Camelleri in a fight during prospect camp ( very brave move by Jared ).

We hate to see him go but he was the most expendable prospect we have that anyone else would want.
Just an update on Aulin....he's been cleared to play and should suit up for the Portland Pirates in a week or so...depending on when he has his skates back under him and the shoulder feels good. Wearing #10 for the P's.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
b-mad said:
Well now that they don't have any players left they're actually givin the kid some playing time and he's put up a respectable 3 points his last 6 games. My only worry with him is that he's really invisible most of a game but then, as with that sick Brewer play, he'll show something absolutely brilliant.....I don't know if this is just the normal 19 year old thing, coupled with him not knowing the language or a sign of him being lazy on the ice and taking alot of shifts off. I do know one thing, if Semin ever puts all those flashes he shows into a consistant player he'll be an absolutely sick player. :D

Semin is amazing. He's got some of the best moves I've ever seen at any level. He's fast, with all-world hands, and a hard shot and excellent o-awareness. He's also a very gritty chippy player who's not afraid to get laid out in front of the net and in the corners.

Once he puts on a little weight and learns the language, he's going to be a force. If the Caps manage to add Ovechkin or Malkin they'll have a sick one-two Russian tandem.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
maybe i am more of a realist than some of the posters above. i see it more this way.

1. semin is an elite potential player. yes, he is often invisable for long stretches, but that is more a function of the capitals complete lack of breakout passing capability and that as a rookie he doesnt read the speed of the play like a robert lang can. lang had to create a lot of the caps zone exit himself and so will semin til the caps next season allows for some real hockey players. I have commented before that he has a bag of trick moves that noone in the nhl has seen before. His stick handling is excruciating. When he has the experience to of a young veteran and if he can finish with constistancy he could be an 10 time allstar....we will see.

2. morrisonn looks like a find. i dont see elite tools and maybe they will come in time, but a calle johansson style player...he could be that. and there are worse things than that.

3. the rest of the prospects/defense: there is no reason to be optimistic here. we were talking about steve eminger like he was the next wade redden and an allstar in the making. now he is apparantly pouting or struggling in portland. yonkman can't get thru 10 hockey games without an injury. 3 times last year. training camp this year then the knee. general savage in he movie "12 o'clock high" says, "if there is a bombadier that can't hit his plate with his fork or a navigator that can't find the men's room...". that seems to describe Cutta. ability but no clue and no ability to get a clue.

4. prospects/forwards: seems that mcphee is more excited about klepis than any of the other forwards the caps have calling him the "cream of the crop of young forwards in the system". seems to me that fehr, gordon, sutherby, fussey, mink are all players that the caps would be happy if they got jeff halpern like players out of. the likelyhood is that maybe two will find that level of play. its seems that with fleischmann and Aulin will have some work to do to find a spot on the roster since it appears that the caps will go the ufa route to fill out the primary spots on the top two lines...they may be the 3rd players on those two lines at some point.

it seems to me that in summary, the caps are deep in grinders and goalies. and thin on skill and defense. with kolzig staying i am not sure what value all the goalies are.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
EroCaps said:
Semin is amazing. He's got some of the best moves I've ever seen at any level. He's fast, with all-world hands, and a hard shot and excellent o-awareness. He's also a very gritty chippy player who's not afraid to get laid out in front of the net and in the corners.

Once he puts on a little weight and learns the language, he's going to be a force. If the Caps manage to add Ovechkin or Malkin they'll have a sick one-two Russian tandem.

You can switch Semin with Zherdev and Caps with Jackets and all that will still be true. :D

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
txpd said:
maybe i am more of a realist than some of the posters above. i see it more this way.

1. semin is an elite potential player. yes, he is often invisable for long stretches, but that is more a function of the capitals complete lack of breakout passing capability and that as a rookie he doesnt read the speed of the play like a robert lang can. lang had to create a lot of the caps zone exit himself and so will semin til the caps next season allows for some real hockey players. I have commented before that he has a bag of trick moves that noone in the nhl has seen before. His stick handling is excruciating. When he has the experience to of a young veteran and if he can finish with constistancy he could be an 10 time allstar....we will see.

2. morrisonn looks like a find. i dont see elite tools and maybe they will come in time, but a calle johansson style player...he could be that. and there are worse things than that.

3. the rest of the prospects/defense: there is no reason to be optimistic here. we were talking about steve eminger like he was the next wade redden and an allstar in the making. now he is apparantly pouting or struggling in portland. yonkman can't get thru 10 hockey games without an injury. 3 times last year. training camp this year then the knee. general savage in he movie "12 o'clock high" says, "if there is a bombadier that can't hit his plate with his fork or a navigator that can't find the men's room...". that seems to describe Cutta. ability but no clue and no ability to get a clue.

4. prospects/forwards: seems that mcphee is more excited about klepis than any of the other forwards the caps have calling him the "cream of the crop of young forwards in the system". seems to me that fehr, gordon, sutherby, fussey, mink are all players that the caps would be happy if they got jeff halpern like players out of. the likelyhood is that maybe two will find that level of play. its seems that with fleischmann and Aulin will have some work to do to find a spot on the roster since it appears that the caps will go the ufa route to fill out the primary spots on the top two lines...they may be the 3rd players on those two lines at some point.

it seems to me that in summary, the caps are deep in grinders and goalies. and thin on skill and defense. with kolzig staying i am not sure what value all the goalies are.

I disagree with your assessments of Eminger, Fehr, and Sutherby.

There's no evidence to support any statment suggesting that Eminger is pouting or struggling, he's playing a bad system on a bad AHL team. He was never a blue-chip offensive defenseman, but he does have the tools to be a very good all-around #2-#3 player in the mold of a Redden or Ohlund. He's shown flashes of brilliance, and is too young to go labelling a bust.

Fehr played very well with Semin at the Tri-City tourney and is a leading goal scorer in the WHL. Nothing has suggested he'll bust. He has 46 goals thus far, and was just named Player of the Year for the Brandon Wheat Kings.

Sutherby had 6pts in 6 games in Portland before undergoing major surgery to repair a groin injury that hampered his development over the past two years. Not to mention Cassidy's idiotic rookie regime where the nooBs had literally no creative freedom and were lucky to play 10 minutes a night. He has the potential to be a major second/third line center/captain in the mold of a young Scott Mellanby.

I think you're right on with your opinion of Morrisson, Gordon, Fleischmann, and Aulin. I do have more optimism regarding Aulin and Fleischmann's future, considering the respect they've earned for work-ethic and leadership.

I'm just not sold on Klepis.

Last edited:

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
txpd said:

That makes sense though, when you trade for prospects they tend to be expendable ones, not the top of the line ones. They need to pick up the elite talents with their own picks, thats why 5 picks in the first two rounds (and one really high one) are so important I think.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'll weigh in a bit...

I'm a Caps fan, so I'll get that bias out of the way first off.

I know for a fact that the 2nd ranking was extremely high. The only reason we sniffed the top 5 is because of Oulette, Stana, and the potential that Ghearson and Danigauelt might show as well. Stana has looked pretty solid when called up, and Oulette is a out and out number 1 in the making, whenever he gets more seasoning (or Olie keels over). The other goalie prospects are all desirable commodities that some teams will come calling for in a little while. Especially when this old crop of goaltenders finally start hanging up the skates.

As for the rest of the prospects, it is a little light on pure scoring talent, and skill. But so are many other organizations. The reason the Caps took chances (measured risks if you're a business guy) on Aullin, Fleischman, Klepis, and Johannson is due to the Caps knowing they're going to need to find some solid goal scoring, speed and talent out of the bunch. All four of them have some scoring touch, and some have good potential to be decent point producers at the NHL level. But they all have questions. Developing sure fire point producers in the NHL is difficult. It's a crap shoot. Who in the world would have thought Robert Lang, St. Louis and some others would be some of the top point producers in the NHL? It's not an exact science. For each Kovalchuk, Nash, or other highly touted prospect, there are others who just have breakout seasons. With the plentiful numbers of guys with potential, they're hopefully going to find one or two.

They've already found one with Semin. Straight out, this guy has all the tools in the world to post Bondra like numbers when it comes to scoring goals. (In the past) He's got speed, moves, passing, acceleration, awareness on the ice, and a solid shot (which he hasn't displayed as much so far). He also is working on his defensive parts of the game, which he'll never be a top 2 way winger, but with his feisty play, should be adequate. He does need to add a little bulk, and learn English. But watching him play is a treat. He does suffer from a bit of inconsistency, but I believe some of that is surrounding cast as much as just youth. Last night for example, he was making some pretty nice passes to set up some players, but none of them really had good position to do much with the passes. or shanked the shots. He is more than a one dimensional goal scorer as well... who should hopefully develop his passing (which looks to be solid) as well. He still has a long road to go to reach those scoring levels, and find a consistency. But... he could be an All star.

As for the rest of the Prospects, I like what's to be seen from the grinders they're picking up. Old Caps teams were built on grinding wingers, who would work hard, kill penalties, and play solid two way hockey. McPhee is stocking the system with those type of role players. Fehr looks like he could be a big two way forward, and I can't wait to see him play with the big boys at training camp next year. He's got the size and the touch to do some damage. 20-30 goals a year could be realistic, with some in the trenches power play time. Werner could turn into something, with time as well. But he'll take a while. Defensive wise, the Caps need to add a lot. They've got some potential, but the only clear player in the bunch (beyond Morrisonn who is already a pretty solid player) is Emminger. He'll be a solid 2-3 eventually, but needs more work seasoning. He has looked ok in the times he's been called up. And Boumedienne looks better than I've expected.

I'm also happy with all the picks that are being stocked. The Caps will most certainly address the defensive side with at least 2-3 picks going there. They'll probably take a top Russian forward, and maybe a big Center. They've got one guy in Zubrus, who still is quite young, developing into a good center, but need to add a premier showcase player up there.

I'll also address the Fussey comment here. He came up last night, and watched him play. He just shows energy. He's got a high motor, not afraid to rough it up, and has a little touch. He's never going to be a star. But he's the type of hardworking players the Caps need more of, not less.

Similar case with Sutherby. If not for the nagging injuries, and Cassidy's anti-Rookie approach, he might already be playing a big role. He is a potential leader, who's not afraid to stand up for his teammates. He's also not a bad middleweight fighter. He just needs to get some seasoning. Same with Boyd Gordon. All of them have potential, but just need some time developing.

bah. sorry for the long windedness. bored, on my break period.

st_roland

Chimaera said:
I'll weigh in a bit...

I'm a Caps fan, so I'll get that bias out of the way first off.

I know for a fact that the 2nd ranking was extremely high. The only reason we sniffed the top 5 is because of Oulette, Stana, and the potential that Ghearson and Danigauelt might show as well. Stana has looked pretty solid when called up, and Oulette is a out and out number 1 in the making, whenever he gets more seasoning (or Olie keels over). The other goalie prospects are all desirable commodities that some teams will come calling for in a little while. Especially when this old crop of goaltenders finally start hanging up the skates.

As for the rest of the prospects, it is a little light on pure scoring talent, and skill. But so are many other organizations. The reason the Caps took chances (measured risks if you're a business guy) on Aullin, Fleischman, Klepis, and Johannson is due to the Caps knowing they're going to need to find some solid goal scoring, speed and talent out of the bunch. All four of them have some scoring touch, and some have good potential to be decent point producers at the NHL level. But they all have questions. Developing sure fire point producers in the NHL is difficult. It's a crap shoot. Who in the world would have thought Robert Lang, St. Louis and some others would be some of the top point producers in the NHL? It's not an exact science. For each Kovalchuk, Nash, or other highly touted prospect, there are others who just have breakout seasons. With the plentiful numbers of guys with potential, they're hopefully going to find one or two.

They've already found one with Semin. Straight out, this guy has all the tools in the world to post Bondra like numbers when it comes to scoring goals. (In the past) He's got speed, moves, passing, acceleration, awareness on the ice, and a solid shot (which he hasn't displayed as much so far). He also is working on his defensive parts of the game, which he'll never be a top 2 way winger, but with his feisty play, should be adequate. He does need to add a little bulk, and learn English. But watching him play is a treat. He does suffer from a bit of inconsistency, but I believe some of that is surrounding cast as much as just youth. Last night for example, he was making some pretty nice passes to set up some players, but none of them really had good position to do much with the passes. or shanked the shots. He is more than a one dimensional goal scorer as well... who should hopefully develop his passing (which looks to be solid) as well. He still has a long road to go to reach those scoring levels, and find a consistency. But... he could be an All star.

As for the rest of the Prospects, I like what's to be seen from the grinders they're picking up. Old Caps teams were built on grinding wingers, who would work hard, kill penalties, and play solid two way hockey. McPhee is stocking the system with those type of role players. Fehr looks like he could be a big two way forward, and I can't wait to see him play with the big boys at training camp next year. He's got the size and the touch to do some damage. 20-30 goals a year could be realistic, with some in the trenches power play time. Werner could turn into something, with time as well. But he'll take a while. Defensive wise, the Caps need to add a lot. They've got some potential, but the only clear player in the bunch (beyond Morrisonn who is already a pretty solid player) is Emminger. He'll be a solid 2-3 eventually, but needs more work seasoning. He has looked ok in the times he's been called up. And Boumedienne looks better than I've expected.

I'm also happy with all the picks that are being stocked. The Caps will most certainly address the defensive side with at least 2-3 picks going there. They'll probably take a top Russian forward, and maybe a big Center. They've got one guy in Zubrus, who still is quite young, developing into a good center, but need to add a premier showcase player up there.

I'll also address the Fussey comment here. He came up last night, and watched him play. He just shows energy. He's got a high motor, not afraid to rough it up, and has a little touch. He's never going to be a star. But he's the type of hardworking players the Caps need more of, not less.

Similar case with Sutherby. If not for the nagging injuries, and Cassidy's anti-Rookie approach, he might already be playing a big role. He is a potential leader, who's not afraid to stand up for his teammates. He's also not a bad middleweight fighter. He just needs to get some seasoning. Same with Boyd Gordon. All of them have potential, but just need some time developing.

bah. sorry for the long windedness. bored, on my break period.

Good post. How much do you think Yonkmans development will be set back by his injuries?

SwOOsh*

With the addition of Ovechkin, Malkin or Barker it should be fun to watch next season (that is if they play the rookies =P)

st_roland

SwOOsh said:
With the addition of Ovechkin, Malkin or Barker it should be fun to watch next season (that is if they play the rookies =P)

I'm not that excited about barker to tell the truth. He could turn out to be a great defenseman, yes, but from what i've heard hes 2-3 years away from being an NHL calibre defender in his own zone.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
st_roland said:
Good post. How much do you think Yonkmans development will be set back by his injuries?

I think Yonkman is at a critical point in his development. If he can't stay healthy, the Caps are going to cut bait, whether or not he can still develop or not. Frankly, the money they've sunk into him is already letting everyone know his days are numbered.

Sure he's barely out of his early 20's, but he needs to start putting things together, or else he'll do it in another system.

Personally, I still think he'll be a good contributer, but he's still a little raw. It would do wonders for him to have other developed defensemen around him to help him along, but... looking at the Caps roster right now, I doubt that will be the case.

He has good size, and some talent, but I'm not sure he can put it together. I hope it works out for him, as he's the type of big punishing defenseman we need, but I think the Caps going for Morrisonn instead of a player with more offensive upside, is telling. They're getting impatient.

Watching what little I can of Portland, (especially since Yonkman doesn't play much) but what I've heard talk of him, he's got a consitency problem. Plays well some nights, can't tell he's there others. All in all, if he can stay healthy, he'll be with the Caps for a while. Maybe in a Witt type role, kinda mucking it up a bit, as a 5-6th defensiveman, till he learns the craft. Then earning a more prominent role, as soon as he can keep his penalty numbers down and play consitent ice time.

His ceiling for improvement is high, his time is just running out.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
SwOOsh said:

I hope they don't push the youngsters right up to the NHL level. It would be nice to see the kids, but the Caps typical, give them a taste, send them to juniors/WJC's is the way to go.

Ovechkin might be the exception to this, but they need to give their players time to season in the young leagues, while not having a sink or swim with the big club. There's going to be a lot of young guys sure, but they should be young 21-22 year olds, not 18 year olds right out of the draft.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm impressed with what the Caps have gotten in such a short amount of time, considering their hands are tied.

I was critical of them being even in the top 15 in terms of prospects, but right now, there's no doubt they're top 10. Great mix of all positions, all kinds of players, even if there's no real superstar in the bunch.

They look to be building towards the OLD Caps team, the intense, stifling defense built around top notch goaltending.

AND they've got high and low picks in the first round this year.

KungFuPenguin

Sep 26, 2002
Visit site
I agree. I'm hoping both the Pens and the Caps prospects pan out, so we can have some tremendously intense rivalries a few years down the road.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
st_roland said:
I'm not that excited about barker to tell the truth. He could turn out to be a great defenseman, yes, but from what i've heard hes 2-3 years away from being an NHL calibre defender in his own zone.

I agree. Just too many questions about his defensive play.....and if he can't at least be very good defensivly in juniors then how can he be expected to be worth anything defensively in the NHL? With such a 2-3 year project I wouldn't be too excited about using such a critical pick for the Caps on him.....top 5 picks should be on much more sure things than Barker IMHO. If they wanna take a chance on a 2-3 year project offensive d-man they can use Boston's or Detroit's pick on someone like that.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
KungFuPenguin said:
I agree. I'm hoping both the Pens and the Caps prospects pan out, so we can have some tremendously intense rivalries a few years down the road.

Don't worry, the teams might suck but we still hate the Pens as much as ever. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad