Post-Game Talk: Caps def. Canucks - 2-1 (Boeser) | Sad Trombone Sound

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Petey was drafted in 2017.

He is a veteran now.

He is going to be one of the highest paid players in the league.

He can't be a "feast or famine" guy anymore. He can't just put up points when he is "feeling it"...he wanted and got the huge contract, now he needs to perform like a franchise level player WHEN it counts.

Was tonight a "statement game" after the last letdown? F#cking rights it was. 11 shots on goal through 2 periods on home ice. That's not going to get sh!t done.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
@biturbo19

Oh yeah, I’m not excusing it. In fact, I think it was incredibly dumb not to change how we were trying to get too cute. You gotta adapt and overcome. I do wonder if we should like upgrade the HVAC system and the like, I mean, it’s a multi-purpose building which hurts even more.

A 25 degree F swing up puts your system trying to catch up constantly when the demand or call for chilling keep rising, it’s a hard turn-around with such short time to prepare for the game. Have to adapt as a player though.

Yeah. I'm really not sure what can be done mechanically and just in terms of the way they schedule and prepare the ice for game days. But there's gotta be some stuff they can do to at least marginally improve things. Either from an HVAC or ice plant standpoint, or even just from doing a better job of managing the demand on the building from multiple uses, or...something. I know it's tough in Vancouver, but you can't tell me that all these other teams in Florida or the South or Eastern seaboard or whatever are that much better off in terms of managing temperature and humidity to provide decent ice.

Vancouver has never really been famous for it's "terrific ice" like Edmonton or whatever...but i don't actually recall it being nearly as pronounced a problem until the last half dozen or so years. Or really...somewhere around the time they were bragging about installing that brand new "high efficiency super green" Ice Plant. Whether that's a factor, idk. Also happens to coincide with where demands on the building as a "multi-use facility" have just continued to grow. So who knows.

It's just not great. You really should strive to give your players good ice to play on, especially for a team that wants to play a game like Vancouver is built to.

But yeah. At the end of the day...the players have to adjust. The coaching has to adjust. You have to adapt. Because even if you miraculously got the "home ice" fixed...you're still always going to be at the mercy of different ice conditions in other team's arenas. So you have to be able to shift and embrace what you've got to work with.

Reactions: Indiana

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yeah, you always have to work with what you got, which is why I bring it up. It’s not very exciting but if we had a slower, heavier team maybe it becomes a true home ice advantage? It’s all about the way you see it and how you can manipulate things that are out of your control into competitive edge.

Great point I forgot about the towers they just put in! If people are living or even working there, you have to produce heating for them, even if you are just drawing steam from Creative Energy to accomplish that. If you don’t properly insulate the walls, and airlock all entrance points, and let’s face it it’s an older building now. There are plenty of places where heat can seep into the environment. If your ice plant can’t keep up with that, this is the result.

I’d actually argue that maybe Florida has it easier because the problem isn’t the high temperature, you can plan your ice plant with more cooling capacity. It’s the fluctuations in temperature that kill you so I think more temperate climates are more difficult to manage.
Edmonton, I believe there ice rep has taken a hit since the 80s but I’m not sure on that. I think climate change and that the Cup isn’t awarded on like May 20th or whatever play a hand in that.

It just bothers me that Hughes and Petersson got shit on tonight, EP I get but Hughes has been phenomenal and I wish we had better ice for him to skate on.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We're probably seeing the indicators of what an early exit from the playoffs might look like with the Canucks.

Up front, they're just too small. Players like Garland, Hoglander, Suter, Blueger and even Boeser work their butts off along the wall. But you can't overcome basic physics. When you're consistently giving away height and weight to your opponent, sooner or later they're going to control puck more than you will.

Having Joshua come back will help......but in the intense physical battle of the Cup playoffs, the Canucks forward group will likely consistently find itself on the perimeter, like they were tonight.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Let's not start the Pettersson contract whining/scapegoating after every pointless game. It's going to get extremely f***ing old. And I just gotta say, the Petey hate-fest for the past few months is genuinely f***ing WIERD. He is a 100 point talent 25-year-old center who is above average defensively. He plays with literal 3rd liners and they don't use him on the powerplay correctly, despite that he very well may hit 100 points this year. Yes, that is an 11.6 million player. "He's not as noticeable as McDavid or MacKinnon therefore he is overpaid" is a braindead take.

The other thing I find funny is this narrative that he will disappear in the playoffs. He has played in the playoffs once and put up 18 points in 17 games. In the SHL in his draft+1 season he put up 19 points in 13 games and helped his team win the championship.

His body language, play and general demeanor on the ice is definitely something to be critical of.

Fans on here are generally pretty fair - if you dont want to be criticized then play better and Petey’s play has been poor for months now. And now that he’s got the bit contract, there’s no excuse of a distraction or anything. He needs to he better. It’s that simple, this isn’t some witch hunt like youre making it out to be

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Boring game and a listless effort by the Canucks. They are going no where if Miller and Pettersson play like this. Give Miller a pass, like others, since has been obviously great almost all season. Petteresson has been in and out funks all year. Doubt the contract was ever an issue and his play hasn't got any better since he signed it. Can't expect Hughes to carry the offense all the time.

Little to comment on the players. Most were mediocre at best. deSmith didn't really have a chance on the goals and he did make some good saves that kept score close.

Obvious some are fighting it. Pettersson is not providing near enough and no one in this game was stepping up to fill the void players like Pettersson and Miller helped create. Although Garland and Hoglander had some decent shifts.

On defense did not like the way Myers was playing. Looked like his skating was not up to par and he seemed planted and immobile on the back end. Maybe no grievous faults but maybe brought off the injury list too soon. Overall, Zadorov seemed lackdaiscal and was stick handling in his end too much. One of his poorest efforts. Worst was Hronek whose play, particularly around his net, has to present a growing concern.

Team is playing with a lack of urgency and clearly many are not on top of their games. Long season and will be lulls like this. But some key players must take hold of this and start to show some leadership. Hopefully this is just and R and R type situation and they will be better for in the end.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
anyone who missed this game, good for you.

Boeser was ok. He was moving pretty well.

I think Petey is struggling, although It's unfair to blame the lost on him. Its getting frustrating to see Tochet play Lafferty Suter, Podkolzin, with Pettersson. He refuses to try LIndholm with Petey as a wing. I recall 3 years ago, Pettersson finished with only 68 points. he moved to the Millers wing and lite shit up again. Unfair that Pettersson is stuck with 3rd line grinders at this moment. Management needs to find him a winger fast.

Garland played pretty good.

Grinders will.... they did their jobs.

JT Miller was ok actually, you can sense his frustration. NOt sure why he gets to keep playing with Boeser. I wouldn't mind trying Boeser with Petey again.

Zadarov struggled. I think anything beyond 4 million is not worth it.

Myers. There was some rust, but he handed the puck the worst out of the bunch. made too many safe plays, like chip it out, throw it in the open slot, and hope for the best.

Ian Cole. I think he's done. Watching him kill the team is quite frustrating.

Mikeyev. Every line he played on, he killed that line. The only thing he was good at was puck entry onto enemy territory other than that, when he was put with Miller line, he killed the plays, when he was with Petey, he also killed the plays. He's pretty much, unfortunately, Alvins version of Gudbranson.

Souchy played well. He played very well.

Quinn Hughes. Quinn Hughes was a f in beast tonight. If he doesn't win Norris I think its a shame. Makar is lucky enough to have a 120 point centreman on the lineup.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
But, but, but they totally dominated Winnipeg!!!!
And I said there were still issues, BAD ME!
Pregame my post was see previous games and repeat.
Great start then trying to play a "protect the lead" game, circle the wagons.
In truth the two goals they got Hronek was on the ice for both and Cole and him are like water and oil, cats and dogs they didn't mix well.
I'm willing to give management something of a pass because I don't think anyone could have predicted Lindholm would be this poor a fit. Even without the offense, you'd suspect some good defensive play. And while it's... kinda there? It's not at all what you expected from Lindholm.

It sounds like Boston really wants him. I wish the Bruins all the best if they seriously give him 7-8M with term.
I like that management rolled the dice on Lindholm, he was THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE at the time. How many times have the fans here sat and watched while other team's got the big names?
Still he just might not be accepting a "rental" role very well, the team was never going to be able to re-sign him here unless they moved Garland AND BOESER.
i dont know, we should be winning 9-2, not sure what team is this anymore
Trying to learn an identity?
A horrendous second period provided enough for the Caps to put this one away. The Canuck's offense looked lifeless for most of the night.
When was the last good second period, what game?
Some posters liked Boeser's game. Can't say I really agree with that -- outside of the goal, I didn't like the compete level from him. Disappears for large stretches of the game.
One dimensional, complimentary type player, can't shoot from further away than 15 feet anymore, not exactly fleet of foot and being paid almost 7 million. Much rather have Lindholm or ????.
The coaching staff has to find a way to light the fire here heading into the playoffs or they're in trouble.
They are in the playoffs.:cheer:
"ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE PLAYOFFS";):stanley: Plan the parade.

Coaching staff just might using these games as a learning time, learn how to hold a lead, shut down a team.

Optimistic idea?
Well...they definitely appear to be backing their way into the playoffs. That's not great.
No they're in, just a matter of a another week and they are locked in, no team can bump them out.

The coaches are mixing it up too much, over coaching at some levels.
Trying to institute a defensive shut down game needed for the playoffs.

I have been posting for ever about SIZE MATTERS!
In the 90's we selected the WJC teams based mostly on SIZE and skill. IF two were close size always won. Worked for 7 out of 8 and five Championships in a row.

If they have to duck to come in through the door, we can teach them to skate.

Systems are all about dumbing the game down. Any coach can teach 5 cones how to play defence. Defence wins championships. Those old Montreal teams had, for the day, HUGE defence.

Oh well, it's only one game.

They are in the playoffs

The way the boys are playing is it that they ALL stop at the same time
OR
Is it systemic?

If they can start games with that energy and at the last have that kind of energy then why are they resting in between?

Pettersson's game? Has he become a "professional", not working hard for it as much. IMO he has had his bell rung too many times, he should avoid hitting. For him, at his age it could take a year to overcome some post concussion issues AND he won't even be consciously (pardon the pun) aware of some of those issues.

There does seem to be too much mix and match going on. Over coaching

Last edited:

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
We've played 6 games in March:

4 wins, 1 o/t, 1 loss. We've scored 16 goals vs 9 goals against.

We are still 1st in the Western conference, and 1st in our division.

Caps are a desperate team and played accordingly; we are not a desperate team and played accordingly.

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY !!!

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
We lost a game. Time for suicide.

A couple of comments ....

Thought Boeser looked inspired tonight. little results, but the effort was there. He is skating way better these days and the effort was there.

Think it was one of those night where no bounces went their way. so it goes. We are still right in the hunt for a president's trophy, and we are whining about a 2 - 1 loss ...?

Sadly, our dominant offence from the start of the year has dropped off dramatically. Lindholm has been a major disappointment. Have no idea how to fix this, but so sick of people pointing the finger at Petey. They were pissed that he was delaying signing, overjoyed when he did, happy that it was under 12, and our now screaming overpaid, why didnt he win this game for us.

Like everyone else thought they could dominate after 1 game in a week against an average team. So it goes.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, you always have to work with what you got, which is why I bring it up. It’s not very exciting but if we had a slower, heavier team maybe it becomes a true home ice advantage? It’s all about the way you see it and how you can manipulate things that are out of your control into competitive edge.

Great point I forgot about the towers they just put in! If people are living or even working there, you have to produce heating for them, even if you are just drawing steam from Creative Energy to accomplish that. If you don’t properly insulate the walls, and airlock all entrance points, and let’s face it it’s an older building now. There are plenty of places where heat can seep into the environment. If your ice plant can’t keep up with that, this is the result.

I’d actually argue that maybe Florida has it easier because the problem isn’t the high temperature, you can plan your ice plant with more cooling capacity. It’s the fluctuations in temperature that kill you so I think more temperate climates are more difficult to manage.
Edmonton, I believe there ice rep has taken a hit since the 80s but I’m not sure on that. I think climate change and that the Cup isn’t awarded on like May 20th or whatever play a hand in that.

It just bothers me that Hughes and Petersson got shit on tonight, EP I get but Hughes has been phenomenal and I wish we had better ice for him to skate on.

Yeah. I'm not really sure what you do. If you realize that it's a problem that you can't engineer your way out of, at some point...maybe you do have to consider that in what sort of team you're striving to build. Though generally speaking...it's not like size isn't already at a premium anyway. And you're still stuck with half the time...you might be going to other rinks that play a lot crisper and faster, where teams that have oodles of speed and boatloads of skill are still going to stunt on you if you're not fast enough. It just seems like a particularly poor fit to have bad ice + the sort of small, skilled team that we broadly have here. :dunno:

The temperature fluctuations are definitely a killer. But everything i've heard and understood about icemaking, is that it's often really the humidity that causes the biggest problems. It also has a bit of a compounding effect with temperature swings, in that at higher humidity levels, it becomes really difficult to control what that moisture in the air is doing to the ice surface. When you get warm and fluctuating temperature, moisture laden air circulating through the building meeting cold frozen water (aka Ice) it does weird and generally deleterious things to the quality and composition of that ice surface. You get weird condensation and unintended freeze/thaw stuff happening, which isn't great. It's the opposite of when you step into one of those old (literal) barns and immediately get a nosebleed - at least you know the ice is going to be good. :laugh:

So yeah, getting the temperature of the building right is just one part of it...and in a lot of ways, the easier component. Places like Dallas or Vegas can do alright in that regard because cooling a big building in a hot dry climate is just a matter of incorporating enough cooling capacity and blasting the AC all day (which also helps dry things even more).

That was also a big part of Edmonton's secret for a long time. It's a relatively dry place through most of the hockey season. Though like you said, the duration of the season and climate change have that shifting. Their other ace in the hole was their head ice tech who was a bit of a legend, but i believe the NHL actually poached him to work on all of their various projects and the Oilers ice started to fall off a little bit at that point. But that was quite a while ago and all in the old building anyway. Still...their new building seems to consistently have much better ice than most, and especially compared to Vancouver.

But even places like the Florida teams, Carolina, Nashville, even Boston...you can't tell me they don't have temperature swings and all sorts of humidity problems to contend with. Yet most still seem like they've moved past Vancouver in managing it.

Rogers Arena is a bit unique in that it is an old building at this point, albeit pretty extensively renovated and overhauled. Plus, the situation where it's just wedged right in there and has all sorts of new towers and things growing out of it and whatnot. That all certainly complicates any sort of thermal management, and humidity control as well. You get a whole bunch of other factors affecting the thermal management and humidity of the building that also fluctuate with occupancy coming and going beyond just...the obvious normal loading of people filing in to watch the hockey game. Or various concerts, events, or whatever else. I'm sure it's an insanely complicated issue. But it'd be really nice if they could resolve it...or at least improve the situation somewhat.

Because the main underlying point is...i concur with the final point there. It's a shame to have all this talent, and not give them consistently good ice where they can truly put on a show with skill and speed in front of the home crowd...because the ice is slow and the puck is bouncing around like a tennis ball. It's kind of embarrassing, and it has been for a while now. Particularly every spring.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
No they're in, just a matter of a another week and they are locked in, no team can bump them out.

Yes. There's virtually no fear of the Canucks not making the playoffs. But right now, they're clearly backing their way into them.

As in...they're not racing in full steam ahead. They're not building up momentum toward the Playoffs at all. They're just sort of tepidly backing away from what they were doing so well earlier, but are going to fall ass first backward into the First Round and a very high seed (if not the Division Title) anyway.

But this is not the way you generally want to be heading in.

Reactions: theguardianII

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Watched tonight's Leafs-Hurricanes game and focused on Martin Necas......if indeed he was part of a potential trade package for Pettersson as rumored, before he finally signed, then it might be the worst trade the Canucks never made.

Necas looks almost close to McDavid and McKinnon in terms of his speed through the neutral zone. The way Petey's going right now, a package from Carolina based on Necas and maybe Kotkaniemi and Jarvis, would look pretty good.
You going for the world record in kneejerk nonsense?

At that level, everyone is really good and if you/your team are even a little bit off then you can look a lot worse than a lower level player on a team that's flying that night.

Are we really gonna do the 2021 'let's trade Petey' thing again, before everyone pretends that they didn't say that when he pulls out of his slump?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Holy christ, I have now read this entire thread and I'm somehow still shocked even after all these years at how emotionally immature a lot of posters on these boards are. I don't know what else to call it.

So we have a 25 year old center who is on pace for his 2nd 95+ point season in a row as a player who will likely win Selkes in his career, but now we wish we dealt him for some mediocre magic beans?

Do people not understand how volatile the game of hockey is? Especially over a span of 82 games. Sometimes the puck finds you, other times it doesn't.
Then you start over thinking and go into a slump.

Then you find your way out of the slump and things go well for you. Neither of these statuses is 'who you really are'.

"Imagine if Petey played his best for the entire year". And what, scored 180 points a season? There have been like 10 players in NHL history who exceed the expectations some people set for Petey.

But we have seen this with Hughes, Boeser, Miller, Demko, etc.

Every time one of them struggles, there's like 9 chicken littles who want to deal them and lament that we didn't get a 2nd round pick and a shitty 2nd liner for them.

I'm curious, do you break up with your partner and move out of the house every time you have a disagreement? Or do you ever think that maybe, just maybe, there's some volatility to life and some mitigating circumstances that render it beneficial to be a little bit more thoughtful from time to time?

Hfboards has this elitist perspective that looks down on reddit and other comment boards, and I want so badly for it to live up to that smugness. And sometimes it does. But stuff like this belongs on facebook comments, not a messageboard dedicated to the sport.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Yes. There's virtually no fear of the Canucks not making the playoffs. But right now, they're clearly backing their way into them.

As in...they're not racing in full steam ahead. They're not building up momentum toward the Playoffs at all. They're just sort of tepidly backing away from what they were doing so well earlier, but are going to fall ass first backward into the First Round and a very high seed (if not the Division Title) anyway.

But this is not the way you generally want to be heading in.
They played pedal to the metal for over half the year. I think of it as game time practice and resting up for the playoffs.

But that can be additive. They started the season playing their version of playoff hockey IMO.

I never thought they would play more than 6 playoff games. Six is the magic number because they will get at least three home game (money) maybe four games.
Just not big enough and still too reliant on Demko

But I wavered a bit when they got Zadorov, he was like almost what they needed in a couple of ways, size and truculence.

With a healthy Demko or if Silvos and Topolio are ready, they have playoff size defence.

Soucy, Myers, Zadorov and even Cole then the pygmies Hronek and Hughes. Keep those two off the PK.
Maybe run with 7 defence and bring Juulsen up.
Double shift Pettersson or just get him and Miller up to 20 minutes a game. 3 centers and 4 sets of wingers then rotate.

Or line changes like 1-2-1-3-1-4, 2-3,2-4, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4 with Miller and Pettersson on line one with Lindholm get them all over 20 minutes a game.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yeah. I'm not really sure what you do. If you realize that it's a problem that you can't engineer your way out of, at some point...maybe you do have to consider that in what sort of team you're striving to build. Though generally speaking...it's not like size isn't already at a premium anyway. And you're still stuck with half the time...you might be going to other rinks that play a lot crisper and faster, where teams that have oodles of speed and boatloads of skill are still going to stunt on you if you're not fast enough. It just seems like a particularly poor fit to have bad ice + the sort of small, skilled team that we broadly have here. :dunno:

The temperature fluctuations are definitely a killer. But everything i've heard and understood about icemaking, is that it's often really the humidity that causes the biggest problems. It also has a bit of a compounding effect with temperature swings, in that at higher humidity levels, it becomes really difficult to control what that moisture in the air is doing to the ice surface. When you get warm and fluctuating temperature, moisture laden air circulating through the building meeting cold frozen water (aka Ice) it does weird and generally deleterious things to the quality and composition of that ice surface. You get weird condensation and unintended freeze/thaw stuff happening, which isn't great. It's the opposite of when you step into one of those old (literal) barns and immediately get a nosebleed - at least you know the ice is going to be good. :laugh:

So yeah, getting the temperature of the building right is just one part of it...and in a lot of ways, the easier component. Places like Dallas or Vegas can do alright in that regard because cooling a big building in a hot dry climate is just a matter of incorporating enough cooling capacity and blasting the AC all day (which also helps dry things even more).

That was also a big part of Edmonton's secret for a long time. It's a relatively dry place through most of the hockey season. Though like you said, the duration of the season and climate change have that shifting. Their other ace in the hole was their head ice tech who was a bit of a legend, but i believe the NHL actually poached him to work on all of their various projects and the Oilers ice started to fall off a little bit at that point. But that was quite a while ago and all in the old building anyway. Still...their new building seems to consistently have much better ice than most, and especially compared to Vancouver.

But even places like the Florida teams, Carolina, Nashville, even Boston...you can't tell me they don't have temperature swings and all sorts of humidity problems to contend with. Yet most still seem like they've moved past Vancouver in managing it.

Rogers Arena is a bit unique in that it is an old building at this point, albeit pretty extensively renovated and overhauled. Plus, the situation where it's just wedged right in there and has all sorts of new towers and things growing out of it and whatnot. That all certainly complicates any sort of thermal management, and humidity control as well. You get a whole bunch of other factors affecting the thermal management and humidity of the building that also fluctuate with occupancy coming and going beyond just...the obvious normal loading of people filing in to watch the hockey game. Or various concerts, events, or whatever else. I'm sure it's an insanely complicated issue. But it'd be really nice if they could resolve it...or at least improve the situation somewhat.

Because the main underlying point is...i concur with the final point there. It's a shame to have all this talent, and not give them consistently good ice where they can truly put on a show with skill and speed in front of the home crowd...because the ice is slow and the puck is bouncing around like a tennis ball. It's kind of embarrassing, and it has been for a while now. Particularly every spring.

Yeah, so pretty much everything you said is more or less correct. Yeah, I just kind of blew right through humidity but that's correct - the higher the humidity, the higher the specific heat capacity. Which in layman's terms can be thought of as why you hear about Arizona and other arid climates "but it's a dry cold/hot". Florida I believe in terms of humidity is closer to Vancouver, than Vancouver is to Edmonton (this is a big assumption on my part, I never been to Florida or Edmonton) I can ask my brother's GF who does HVAC about this issue because it just straight up hurts as a hockey fan.

Yeah, he got poached by the NHL big time. I think he oversees the outdoor games. I can't even imagine the absolute fruitless effort that would be to end up with only just "acceptable" ice. Would drive me nuts as that guy. Yeah, like the ice in Vancouver I believe was considered as the kids say "mid" for a long time but I have noticed how bad it is a lot more right around the time they got those towers up, yes. That's the thing with ice-making though, if you are in a challenging climate and add load to the building, your plant is working so much harder and maybe you didn't see that coming, maybe you didn't listen to your plant manager or dismissed their concerns, maybe you straight up didn't realize how much upgrading your plant cooling capacity would cost! (Hintity McHint hint...) So many variables with it, if you don't stay proactive with monitoring and preventative maintenance, or if your administration are f***ing idiots, those are just two things that could be resultant in this condition of ice.

What's your trade?

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
i think pettersson could play better but also the team is really doing him a disservice giving him those wingers night after night. hoglander is okay but he's not a top line guy and suter is a depth forward

i really don't understand lindholm's usage. using him to move pettersson or miller to wing would let them put together two decent scoring lines and it's not like garland/blueger wasn't working. this is the same thing we saw when they tried to build three forward lines around each of horvat, miller and pettersson instead of using miller at wing. it didn't work then because they lacked the wings to make it work and it's even worse now. i know kuzmenko was largely written off by the coaching staff but his absence is really apparent. when boeser is the best winger you have to offer and suter, mikheyev, hoglander and pdg are all playing big minutes it's hard to score

i liked the lindholm trade but the lack of followup to add a winger really hurt this team's depth. they just don't have enough up front to hang with the elite teams
With you until the Kuzmenko bit, he was playing on the 4th line and getting healthy scratched. His absence is meaningless.

Last edited:

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Also did anyone catch Hughes not shooting it on the PP when he was all alone? He needs to shoot that 100% of the time

Reactions: Nick Lang

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Also did anyone catch Hughes not shooting it on the PP when he was all alone? He needs to shoot that 100% of the time
When pucks are not going in, instead of going for pretty goals, just fire as many pucks as you can, and if you don't have a target, aim for skates and knees in front of the net.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
A lot of handwringing after this one. Admittedly not a great game, but we’ve had some great games against some elite teams as well. Playing to the level of your competition looks great when you’re doing it against Dallas, Winnipeg, Vegas and Edmonton - not so much when you’re playing teams like Washington.

The team does have details they need to figure out down the stretch here. I think they’ve earned enough goodwill for me to believe they will.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
i think pettersson could play better but also the team is really doing him a disservice giving him those wingers night after night. hoglander is okay but he's not a top line guy and suter is a depth forward

i really don't understand lindholm's usage. using him to move pettersson or miller to wing would let them put together two decent scoring lines and it's not like garland/blueger wasn't working. this is the same thing we saw when they tried to build three forward lines around each of horvat, miller and pettersson instead of using miller at wing. it didn't work then because they lacked the wings to make it work and it's even worse now. i know kuzmenko was largely written off by the coaching staff but his absence is really apparent. when boeser is the best winger you have to offer and suter, mikheyev, hoglander and pdg are all playing big minutes it's hard to score

i liked the lindholm trade but the lack of followup to add a winger really hurt this team's depth. they just don't have enough up front to hang with the elite teams
Agreed. Pettersson has devolved into a checking center playing with guys like Lafferty, Suter, Hoglander (a middle 6 checking forward), Mikheyev etc.

Last night Pettersson made 2 offensive zone entries and slid the puck to Suter who dumps it… wasted possession and another one to Lafferty (gets puck stripped immediately) and then possession quickly goes back the other way.

The 5 games he was with the lotto line, he had 14 points and led the entire line in points and goals. There aren’t many stars in the league who can produce playing with the other linemates he’s had.

Pastrnak plays with Marchand.

Nylander has at least one of Matthews/Tavares/Marner on his line.

Barkov plays with Reinhart and Verhaege.

McDavid plays with Hyman/Draisaitl.

Draisaitl plays with Hyman/McDavid/RNH.

Panarin plays with Kreider/Zibanejad + Fox.

Mackinnon plays with Rantanen and Nichuskin + Makar.

Miller plays with Boeser and Hughes plays with them for majority of his shifts.

Kucherov plays with Point and Stamkos + Hedman.

Robertson plays with Hintz and Pavelski.

Aho plays with Svechnikov and Necas.

Eichel plays with Barbashev/Marchessault/Stone.

Kaprizov plays with JEE and one of Boldy/Zuccarello interchangeably.

Larkin plays with Debrincat and either Kane/Raymond.

Pettersson plays with… Suter, Lafferty, Mikheyev, Hoglander, Garland, Podkolzin, insert a bottom 6 forward.

The fact that he’s still nearing 100 points playing with these guys assures me there’s another level to his game that can really only be achieved by playing with literal top 6 forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad