Post-Game Talk: Caps def. Canucks - 2-1 (Boeser) | Sad Trombone Sound

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i think pettersson could play better but also the team is really doing him a disservice giving him those wingers night after night. hoglander is okay but he's not a top line guy and suter is a depth forward

i really don't understand lindholm's usage. using him to move pettersson or miller to wing would let them put together two decent scoring lines and it's not like garland/blueger wasn't working. this is the same thing we saw when they tried to build three forward lines around each of horvat, miller and pettersson instead of using miller at wing. it didn't work then because they lacked the wings to make it work and it's even worse now. i know kuzmenko was largely written off by the coaching staff but his absence is really apparent. when boeser is the best winger you have to offer and suter, mikheyev, hoglander and pdg are all playing big minutes it's hard to score

i liked the lindholm trade but the lack of followup to add a winger really hurt this team's depth. they just don't have enough up front to hang with the elite teams

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Well...they definitely appear to be backing their way into the playoffs. That's not great.

One big thing that particularly stood out to me tonight, is that the Rogers Arena ice is just absolutely horrific. The ball was bouncing all over the place like a tennis ball all night. It's particularly detrimental to this team that wants to snap the puck around and make all these crisp little passes and quick tip plays and things. Just the sheer amount of bobbled pucks and dead possessions from the puck skipping around or sticking weird, etc. was really darn high. Just all those extra little seconds guys are spending trying to corral it, gives teams all the extra time they need to pressure and kill the play or contain it to the perimeter.

Need a lot of guys (some in particular) to be a lot heavier on their sticks as well, especially when they do try to push the puck to the high danger areas in the middle of the ice. But it goes well beyond that and it's really frustrating to watch. Even just at the end with the empty net...guys at the point and half wall all just taking what feels like ages fighting with a bouncing unsettled puck before they can even go back to playing catch with one another on the perimeter. It slows everything down...and this team doesn't seem capable of simplifying things and just grinding and going to the net and playing a messy game in the muck. They're just not built that way. Not enough size or speed up front.

I get it. Vancouver is humid. Making good ice is tough in springtime in a temperate rainforest or whatever. But other high humidity places have figured it out a lot better. And the reality is...the games that matter are always going to be in the spring and running into the summer. They've gotta f***ing figure it out.

Playing in your "Home Barn" shouldn't be such a disadvantage for your own team. It's either figure out the ice, or build the team to slug it out and play a gross game on yucky ice. :shakehead

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
A horrendous second period provided enough for the Caps to put this one away. The Canuck's offense looked lifeless for most of the night.

One of Miller's worst games of the season but he get's a pass seeing as he's carried this team lately.

Lindholm is a complete disappointment. Just nothing convincing about his game and looks to be a complete misjudgment by our pro scouting department. They can not extend this player.

Petey continues to struggle. Just looks slow and lacking confidence to make a play. Coaching staff is rotating through line mates to try to get him going and nothing appears to be working. One of the biggest reasons for their offensive slump at the moment.

Some posters liked Boeser's game. Can't say I really agree with that -- outside of the goal, I didn't like the compete level from him. Disappears for large stretches of the game.

Backend struggled visibly throughout. Cole badly needs a seat in the pressbox, Myers looked slow in his return, and Zad did not handle the puck well. Hronek was very sloppy and I question the salary demands for this player. He is not someone I am comfortable handing that type of contract to with the way he is playing at the moment. Hughes looked off as well but was really the only threat from the defense in this one and was leaned on in the third period.

The rest was nothing to write home about. Simple passes were bobbled all night and the dump and chase was completely foiled by the Caps defense. The coaching staff needs to make adjustments in games like these.

The last two minutes summed it all up. Complete possession and just over passing it along the perimeter without a shot on net until time expired.

The coaching staff has to find a way to light the fire here heading into the playoffs or they're in trouble.
Actually thought Boeser showed more compete than most of the other guys. He seem to have energy and jump.

It was just one of those game where they got no bounces, and nothing worked. Not happy with the result, but I don't think they were outplayed.

Yes, Pettersson needs to earn his new contract. Lindholm has been a disaster ... I don't think he has been more effective than ... say Lafferty or Blueger. Sadly.

Hope things change in the playoffs, but at this point I would be hesitant to offer him (Lindholm) a $2.5M show me contract.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watched tonight's Leafs-Hurricanes game and focused on Martin Necas......if indeed he was part of a potential trade package for Pettersson as rumored, before he finally signed, then it might be the worst trade the Canucks never made.

Necas looks almost close to McDavid and McKinnon in terms of his speed through the neutral zone. The way Petey's going right now, a package from Carolina based on Necas and maybe Kotkaniemi and Jarvis, would look pretty good.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
i think pettersson could play better but also the team is really doing him a disservice giving him those wingers night after night. hoglander is okay but he's not a top line guy and suter is a depth forward

i really don't understand lindholm's usage. using him to move pettersson or miller to wing would let them put together two decent scoring lines and it's not like garland/blueger wasn't working. this is the same thing we saw when they tried to build three forward lines around each of horvat, miller and pettersson instead of using miller at wing. it didn't work then because they lacked the wings to make it work and it's even worse now. i know kuzmenko was largely written off by the coaching staff but his absence is really apparent. when boeser is the best winger you have to offer and suter, mikheyev, hoglander and pdg are all playing big minutes it's hard to score

i liked the lindholm trade but the lack of followup to add a winger really hurt this team's depth. they just don't have enough up front to hang with the elite teams

Yeah. I think we're at the point where you've really just gotta stick Lindholm at Center, glue Pettersson to his wing...and let them sink or swim together. They have to make it work if we want to make any real noise. Those two need to be going...and it's not like you're disrupting any flow with either of them right now anyway. Just get an engine like Hoglander away from that where it's not really helping him either.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I can see him signing in Boston in the offseason and lighting it up with Marchand and Pastnak next season.

yeah he's gonna end up somewhere with a star winger and have a "resurgence". i'm not blaming garland for lindholm's struggles but garland has always struggled to find fit with his centers and playing him with lindholm certainly isn't helping his (edit: lindholm's) game

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

But, but, Ron MacLean said it was the right call?!

Oh wahhh Ron hates the Canucks booo hooo. Some people just really need to let this go already. It's been more than a decade. It was a fine call on a close judgment play. Could've been better but the guy apologized anyway. There's always give and take. Obsessing over that stuff is so petty.

What really cost the Canucks wasn't the icing...it was their play after the icing, which was pathetic and cost them the goal.

Borderline calls go both ways all the time, it's never going to be perfect every time. Good teams just roll with the punches and play through it. If a ticky tacky judgment call icing whistle is the difference between winning or losing vs the Caps down the stretch...you've got bigger issues than Ron standing up for the officials.

Guaranteed RikTok is not going to be letting the players off on a flimsy whiny little excuse like, "wahhh the linesman goofed up a 50/50 hybrid icing call one time so we lost". As well he shouldn't.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Rick Tocchet ain’t gonna like this effort tonight, team is in piss off watch til Tuesday.

He expects way better than tonight.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Watched tonight's Leafs-Hurricanes game and focused on Martin Necas......if indeed he was part of a potential trade package for Pettersson as rumored, before he finally signed, then it might be the worst trade the Canucks never made.

Necas looks almost close to McDavid and McKinnon in terms of his speed through the neutral zone. The way Petey's going right now, a package from Carolina based on Necas and maybe Kotkaniemi and Jarvis, would look pretty good.

When Petey is on his game, he’s much better than Necas. Problem is we haven’t seen that consistently for a while.

Could Petey be nursing some injury??

Now I ain’t saying she a gold digger, but she ain’t messing with no broke *****

Classic Kanye was so so good. His latest album is ???? Just sounds like noise to me

Reactions: geebaan and Indiana

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Its not the end of the world, it does suck to have us play 4 games that were near complete 60 minute outplays of top teams then choke in the 3rd against Colorado and choke in the 2nd of this game.

Really we havent had a game recently where we get outplayed for the majority of it, but its frustrating to see us come out well and then just give it away. Its consistency WITHIN the game that we are lacking right now. Maybe Demko was covering some of it up with his insanity though. He was making some ten bell saves that if they went in probably make our last 6 a lot worse than 4-1-1.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Rick Tocchet ain’t gonna like this effort tonight, team is in piss off watch til Tuesday.

He expects way better than tonight.
Rick Tocchet is showing he is a step behind in making adjustments.

Do a full week of the lotto line just to get the guys clicking. Stack it all on the top line. 3 offensive lines isn't going to work due to out shit wing depth. Get Miller or Pettersson on the wing asap.

Reactions: Flik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad