Post-Game Talk: Caps @ de worst Leefs on Eart (730pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Why though? He is slumping at the same time he was last year; and everyone says we lost the playoffs because he was a no-show.

Obviously he has a few more games to turn it up, and he had some good looks last game, so I will hold my tongue reluctantly.

I wasn't worried until I just looked up his 6 points since March 1st, in 17 games. :(

My only hope if that I am still noticing him, he is getting chances.

Fingers crossed honestly, because the Caps aren't winning anything without him, that is how important center depth is come playoff time, especially to get through the East.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The Leafs have some great young talent on offense. They're going to be a force in the East in a few years if these guys continue to develop. Their blueline seems a bit suspect though. I don't see a #1 on their roster or in their prospect pool right now.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The best thing about this recent run aside from the timing is the way the team has been able to overcome cheap physical crap and still win. Earlier in the year that kind of stuff knocked them off their game. If they can combine that "grit" with their rush game and a potent PP, with Holtby playing at his usual level....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Kuzy slumping makes me edgy, but I will admit this current streak and in particular the last two games do give the feeling that something is different this year. They quietly dismantled Toronto last night.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Kuzy slumping makes me edgy, but I will admit this current streak and in particular the last two games do give the feeling that something is different this year. They quietly dismantled Toronto last night.

Thought he was a little too cutsie at times last night, but I didn't see the lack of confidence I saw last playoffs. I agree that this year will be different.

On another note, I think we're seeing the puck carrying, difference making Shattenkirk you were hoping to see. May have taken a little time but he looks really confident with the puck now.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm worried about Carlson the most. Maybe he'll turn it on in the playoffs again but he doesn't have enough of a track record to prove to me that he can just flip the switch. If the Capitals get the same level of play that Carlson has shown for most of the season then I really hope his minutes are severely reduced come postseason because right now he is either their 5th or 6th best defenseman. He's not really a shutdown D, he doesn't drive possession, and he's not very good on the PP compared to Shattenkirk. My worry is that Trotz simply won't be able to make the decision to cut Carlson's minutes given the apparent trust he's place in him despite having better options on the roster.

As another note, I'm not really surprised that last night was one of the best defensive efforts this team has put up all season given the pairings and the allocations of the ice time. Niskanen and Orlov did the heavy lifting (23 and 22 minutes TOI) while Alzner was given a very light load (just 16 minutes TOI) despite the Capitals being ahead for most of the game. I'd highly consider just making the 27-74 pairing the third pairing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Thought he was a little too cutsie at times last night, but I didn't see the lack of confidence I saw last playoffs. I agree that this year will be different.

On another note, I think we're seeing the puck carrying, difference making Shattenkirk you were hoping to see. May have taken a little time but he looks really confident with the puck now.

I think the too cutsie is how he shows his lack of confidence.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
x3J97to.png

hF9i2Q2.png

8S3JCpc.png

Williams isn't getting scoring chances any more, Johansson has rarely ever had good scoring chances, and Kuznetsov has become the primary trigger-man on that line while still helping anchor that line to ~56% CF% recently. And people are worried about Kuznetsov?

He needs better linemates. Williams is hurting that line more than anyone IMO. Kuznetsov is still playing well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm worried about Carlson the most. Maybe he'll turn it on in the playoffs again but he doesn't have enough of a track record to prove to me that he can just flip the switch. If the Capitals get the same level of play that Carlson has shown for most of the season then I really hope his minutes are severely reduced come postseason because right now he is either their 5th or 6th best defenseman. He's not really a shutdown D, he doesn't drive possession, and he's not very good on the PP compared to Shattenkirk. My worry is that Trotz simply won't be able to make the decision to cut Carlson's minutes given the apparent trust he's place in him despite having better options on the roster.

As another note, I'm not really surprised that last night was one of the best defensive efforts this team has put up all season given the pairings and the allocations of the ice time. Niskanen and Orlov did the heavy lifting (23 and 22 minutes TOI) while Alzner was given a very light load (just 16 minutes TOI) despite the Capitals being ahead for most of the game. I'd highly consider just making the 27-74 pairing the third pairing.

Oprik was 3rd in D TOI last night at 21:22. Just thought I would mention that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
And people are worried about Kuznetsov?

He needs better linemates. Williams is hurting that line more than anyone IMO. Kuznetsov is still playing well.

Yea, its never on Kuzy. Johansson has 10pts in his last 10 games. Kuzy has 3. But its Johansson that is dragging Kuznetsov down. Williams has 6pts in that 10 game run.

This is the problem with these stats sometimes. Results don't matter.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Yea, its never on Kuzy. Johansson has 10pts in his last 10 games. Kuzy has 3. But its Johansson that is dragging Kuznetsov down. Williams has 6pts in that 10 game run.

This is the problem with these stats sometimes. Results don't matter.

Past results matter but they don't predict nearly as well as many other on-ice metrics. Also there is more to on-ice impact than scoring points, a fact you apply regularly to defensemen but seem to forget when you're evaluating the play of forwards.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
oh...10 4. last season when 92 went missing down the stretch and thru the playoffs based on his metrics you said he was playing fine. iirc you said it was bad puck luck and took that slump lasting well into this season before you finally decided maybe something was wrong with Kuzy.

Well....here we are again. Kuzy has lost steam. The linemates that largely played with him in that 40pts in 40 games run are now the problem. Even though they continue to produce.

If Kuzy is quiet these playoffs, the Caps will still have a chance to win the cup, but Kuzy is the reason they go into juggernaut mode. I really don't want to hear about how good Kuzy is playing when he goes 10 games into the playoffs without a point.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am afraid to look at how many of MJ's daunting 10 points have come on the PP.

The line is a bit stale to the eye, but the others are working, so it's not as big a deal.

Yet.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
oh...10 4. last season when 92 went missing down the stretch and thru the playoffs based on his metrics you said he was playing fine. iirc you said it was bad puck luck and took that slump lasting well into this season before you finally decided maybe something was wrong with Kuzy.

Yes, he was really unlucky at the end of last season and the postseason. The beginning of this season was different and perhaps it was a result of his poor results last season, but now he has really seemed to pick it up. I'm sorry if we have a disagreement on his play. Would I like him to score more? Yes. But I don't think he's the problem on that line. He needs a trigger man IMO and the current trigger man is playing poorly.

Well....here we are again. Kuzy has lost steam. The linemates that largely played with him in that 40pts in 40 games run are now the problem. Even though they continue to produce.

I mean if you want to say that the declining play of Williams isn't affecting Kuznetsov's production then go ahead. If you really believe that Williams is playing just as well now as he was earlier in the season then perhaps your point would have some truth to it. Unfortunately I don't think either the stats or the opinions of others will agree with that assessment. Meanwhile, you cite Johansson's point totals without giving them any context: 4 even strength points in 10 games (all assists) compared to 2 even strength points (both goals) in 10 for Kuznetsov. Johansson's PP excellence has nothing to do with how well he is playing at even strength, which honestly hasn't been that great IMO.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007

My biggest concern is actually Trotz because of situations like the one above. The last two years GMBM failed to complete the rosters at the deadline so he deserved a good chunk of the blame for both of those failures. This year, however, he's given Trotz pretty much everything a coach could ask for as far as an NHL roster is concerned. Trotz needs to ice the best line up with the best possible combinations of players to maximize our chances.

I believe that what the optimal Caps line up looks like is something that will often vary and Trotz seems to prefer taking the guesswork and experimentation out by simply picking the team he wants and sticking with that come hell or high water. It certainly builds consistency and perhaps some confidence for his players but it allows for long stretches where certain elements are performing far below their optimal level.

Right now Carlzner and the second line seem like they could use a shake up. Doesn't look like there is any chance Trotz would be willing do that. Perhaps, as some have pointed out, the 82 game season grinds down Kuzy a bit. But he still has him playing every night when we have 6 games in 9 days at the very end of the season. Same for some of our veteran players.

This Caps team has nothing left to prove in the regular season, yet the coach seems averse to trying a lot of things. It's a great strategy when things are going well but we're going to have to adjust multiple times over the course of a long playoff run and I'm just not sold that Trotz is going to be able to effectively stay ahead of the curve in that environment.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I think the twist he threw in the PP with ovie moving all over the ice is a nice added change for the playoffs. Our PP hasn't changed since Oates put it in and has become very predictable and easy to defend

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes. But I don't think he's the problem on that line. He needs a trigger man IMO and the current trigger man is playing poorly..

Williams has 3 goals, all at even strength, in the last 10 games. isn't that about normal for a 20 goal scorer? Yes, 6 of Johansson's 10 points in the last 10 came on the PP. The PP is important but lets lay that aside. Kuznetsov does have more evp than Johansson but Johansson is tied for 2nd on the team in even strength goals.

GreatEight

Mar 29, 2017
I think the twist he threw in the PP with ovie moving all over the ice is a nice added change for the playoffs. Our PP hasn't changed since Oates put it in and has become very predictable and easy to defend

I wouldn't call a top 3 PP easy to defend.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
This is why I want the Leafs in the first round. There is very little experience and the physical maturity isn't there yet. Andersen also scares me less than Rask and Anderson.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
That passing play from the 3rd line was a thing of beauty. Plays like that are why I love hockey. Trotz was talking about it on the radio today.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Kristen Shilton‏
Verified account
*@kristen_shilton 15h
15 hours ago

More
Connor Carrick on facing his old WSH team: "It’s a game I wanted to win for multiple reasons, a couple personal ones. And we didn’t."

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Dang, not sure who Bill Waters is, but listening to the Leafs post game show and damn does he hate Alex Ovechkin.

"Selfish Russian. Drunk at the All Star game in Columbus. Will never win anything as he doesn't show up in the playoffs, doesn't listen to coaches." On and on he went, was waiting for the other guy to jump in but he never did.

He should let some of that hate go, it can't be good for him.

Watters had been an Assistant GM for the Maple Leafs at one time, a player agent, involved in Canadian football and a sports commentator. Would hear him on XM/Sirius Radio as Scott Laughlin would have him on frequently in the afternoon and even Laughlin and others on the show would bring up Watters strong dislike for Ovechkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad