Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Broons - Apr 18 Noon

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

Save the facepalm for the mirror.

They're a couple games ahead of the Isles and Pens who they play multiple times in the next few weeks and who both have games in hand. Boston has found its' game and the Rangers are red hot.

If they continue to give efforts like this they will legitimately be clawing at a 4 seed.

No more Devils and Sabres to feast on.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But they used it the wrong way. It's not supposed to be used to make the call. It's supposed to be used to confirm it. If they missed the initial call the refs can discuss it with the other officials to see if they saw anything.

Right. Thus the use of the phrase back door

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
This team will have to play a much cleaner and more disciplined game to do much damage in the playoffs. I understand fans who question Caps' goaltending but I also think that playing goalie for this team is very challenging. Not only do they commit a lot of defensive blunders but there is some strange unpredictability and randomness to these mistakes.

Oshie trying to glove a puck 4 feet in front of his own net on the first goal then completely losing his check on the 2nd goal. Marchand and Pastarnak left with a 2-on-0 right in front of the net. How is that possible? Ovie in complete clueless mode while 'defending' against one the most dangerous lines in the league. There seems to be a lack of focus and attention to detail on the defensive side of the puck. Caps don't have a Hasek in net. They have to make the game more predictable and easier to read for two very inexperienced goaltenders.

Boston is not necessarily any better in that department but they had Rask to bail them out.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

They're a couple games ahead of the Isles and Pens who they play multiple times in the next few weeks and who both have games in hand. Boston has found its' game and the Rangers are red hot.

If they continue to give efforts like this they will legitimately be clawing at a 4 seed.

Watch out for the pigeon shit on that window ledge that you are currently occupying.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

The only plausible threat to making the playoffs is if the Caps suddenly tank while everyone else maintains speed, and the Rangers keep winning.

If NYR keep up their recent 10 game pace they finish around 68-70pts. The Caps sit at 62pts with 10 games remaining. A point a game from here on out is probably good enough. The stretch vs the Isles/Pens/NYR will be tough and possibly decisive, but if they're in deep shit near the end they still have 2 games vs the Flyers and one more vs the Bs to get those needed points.

So not panicking. Yet.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Honestly, they can go into playoffs playing good or playing bad. I have no clue what type of game they will play in round 1. Its up to Lavi I guess. Hopefully he still has something left.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Lets do the math, shall we?

Caps are 10 pts ahead of Rags. Caps have 10 games remaining, possible 20 pts. Rags have 11 games remaining, possible 22 pts.

Lets say the Caps go .500 and gain 10 more points. That entirely possible, they are just 6-4 in their last 10. So the Caps going .500 puts them 20 pts head of Rags. Now to catch them, the Rags need to win 10 of 11 outright, for the tie. They would need to win all 11 remaining games and the Caps go .500 to jump ahead of the Caps. All assuming the other three teams stay bunched up in the middle. In this scenario if any of the other three teams go .500 or less, then the Rags would bump them instead of the Caps.

So yeah, the Caps could drop from 1st to 4th, but the Rags would have to play perfect and the Caps would have to really suck, to miss the playoffs. They would actually have to be really UNLUCKY to miss the playoffs, the opposite of what you said that got a facepalm from Cali.

Realistically the Rags could catch the Bs or Isles, more likely the Isles who are .500 in their last 10 and aren't looking so hot post deadline.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Caps are 10 pts ahead of Rags. Caps have 10 games remaining, possible 20 pts. Rags have 11 games remaining, possible 22 pts.

Lets say the Caps go .500 and gain 10 more points. That entirely possible, they are just 6-4 in their last 10. So the Caps going .500 puts them 20 pts head of Rags. Now to catch them, the Rags need to win 10 of 11 outright, for the tie. They would need to win all 11 remaining games and the Caps go .500 to jump ahead of the Caps. All assuming the other three teams stay bunched up in the middle. In this scenario if any of the other three teams go .500 or less, then the Rags would bump them instead of the Caps.

I think Erocaps is suggesting the Caps arent going be close to .500. They might not win another game.

Reactions: Calicaps

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

So yeah, the Caps could drop from 1st to 4th, but the Rags would have to play perfect and the Caps would have to really suck, to miss the playoffs. They would actually have to be really UNLUCKY to miss the playoffs, the opposite of what you said that got a facepalm from Cali.

Realistically the Rags could catch the Bs or Isles, more likely the Isles who are .500 in their last 10 and aren't looking so hot post deadline.

I think any concern about missing the playoffs is premature at best. However, I do believe that the order of teams in the top-4 is subject to change. Caps have by far the hardest schedule remaining. Pittsburgh, for example, has 3 games left against New Jersey, 2 against Buffalo, 2 against Philly. Boston has a whopping 5 games left against Buffalo. Not to say that those games are gimmicks, seen how both Caps and Pens have just lost to Buffalo, but Caps schedule is legitimately difficult.

Personally, I'm not to concerned about playoff seeding. No idea who a better opponent for the Caps is. Two years ago we all lamented facing Carolina and many posters here hypothesized that given a chance to face the Islanders instead, Caps would have gone the whole way. Last year we did get the Islanders and lost in a convincing fashion. I'd like to see a better process. Better attention to detail, less unforced defensive blunders, better composure.

Reactions: max21

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Wait — the Caps lost a game on the road 24hrs after a win on the road — to a team they had beaten 8-1 just a few games ago ...... and due this this, someone thinks they might now miss the playoffs?

Oh Dear. Seems Day Drinking has definitely commenced

Yea, somebody closed the window

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
We need a good goalie coach. After Mitch left our goalies aren't being good. I do believe we have talaned goalies, but they are raw and can be improved.

Also I'm starting eating crow on Mantha. If he keeps his invisible stretches shorter than Vrana, then we are improved our team. The price was steep, but we improved and gave us chances for a few more years.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Not entirely sure there is exactly a favorable matchup for us, but there is almost zero chance we miss unless we go on a horrid skid these last 10 games.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Whew, wasn't looking forward to having to buy tinfoil because I'm not even sure if tin foil is actually a thing any more.

I am an aluminum man myself. Or as the Brits say, aluminium.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Jun 15, 2007

Whew, wasn't looking forward to having to buy tinfoil because I'm not even sure if tin foil is actually a thing any more.

I am an aluminum man myself. Or as the Brits say, aluminium.

Once you start calling it aluminium ironically to mock br*itish people, you really can't stop. It's really fun to say.

Reactions: twabby

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The only supplemental discipline that should have been given out was to the referee team. Suspended for the remainder of the season and the playoffs for a Tim Peel like performance.

The Tinordi-Hathaway feud was brewing the whole game. First period, whistle is blown and there's some verbal exchanges between players and then Tinordi throws a punch at Hathaway striking Hathaway in the upper chest shoulder area. Episode occurred directly in front of the Referee and Hathaway gives the WTF look/yap to the referee and nothing is called. Therafter Hathaway acted like a bull in the china closet. Third period, Tinordi comes in on Hathaway after the puck has cleared the zone and hits him, Hathaway turns to the Referee and yaps about the interference, but nothing is called. Then within seconds Hathaway is called for the static cling "hold" by this same referee, who evidently Hathaway must have hurt the referees feelings, hence the retribution. The ensuing Bruins PP led to goal number 4. This same referee then ignored the interference call that took out Wilson which Ovechkin was livid about which eventually led to the Bruins 5th goal. Hathaway had to be livid about all of this and seeing what Tinordi had been able to get away with all game, opted to give some back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ridley Simon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad