Post-Game Talk: Capitals Vs Sharks - 1/14/14 7:00 PM - Caps Lose 1-2 (SO)

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Why does Ovechkin deserve to be used in the shootout? He has sucked his entire career and was for 1 for his last 12.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
everyone was expecting us to get blown out by the sharks, but we kept pace with them throughout the whole game and we played a great game

we lost in the Pejorative Slured shootout but yea, we're terrible, sure

If you can't see this team is at best average but mostly mediocre to bad, you are as new to hockey as you are to HFBoards.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
I thought it was a good game. Niemi is playing very well. Grubauer played well. We lost in the shoot out and could easily have won in regulation with a bit of luck.

Need to practice the shoot out. Copy the "Hendricks" and other moves.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Strong game overall from the Capitals. Aside of the second half of the first period, the puck was on their sticks far more than it was on San Jose's. They got more high quality scoring chances, but unfortunately some bad luck and great saves from Niemi turned the game in the Sharks' favor.

Not upset about this loss. If they keep playing this way, they're going to win a lot of games.

Liberati0n*

Why doesn't he ever go backhand anymore? He used to be great on that side.

Nahhhh /wee-bey

His best move was always that cocky kick of his leg out and then just a shot with no dekes. I don't think he's done it since his rookie year.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Does anyone else find it amusingly ironic that we left behind "coin-flip hockey" with Hunter, and now with Oates we're on pace to set an NHL record for shootouts in a season? And by a fair margin too - we're on pace for 25, previous high is 20.

Except Hunter had good reason with Backstrom and Green out, coaching changes and new faces.

Oates has a healthy roster, is in his second season, and not much roster turnover.

They just don't seem to have any identity except for handedness.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Thought the Caps played the Sharks well but that didn't translate to a win. Wish Grabs line wouldn't be saddled with Erskine and Carrick on the back end. Grubs playing stellar, moved aside Holtby. Orlov spending all that time in Hershey is a mystery. He hasn't been perfect but he does some very good things. Impressed with the play when he was tying up to Sharks in the crease.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
I was working during the game.

Can I be satisfied with the point (since we never don't get ****ted on by SJ) or did we get lucky again?

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Capitals were the better team. They stay right there in face offs and won a lot of physical battles against a very big Sharks team.

Sucks to lose, but nothing to complain about.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I pronounce this the Loser Point Season...kinda like that one the 'Canes had a year or so ago. Points is points. Honestly just staying up in that top 3 slogging through the season is not a negative despite wishing for regulation wins.

Need to change up that shoot out line up. Fine with AO remaining second. IMHO all the shooters are getting in too deep/close to the goalie.

fashi13

Feb 13, 2008
Why does Ovechkin deserve to be used in the shootout? He has sucked his entire career and was for 1 for his last 12.

He was great at them his rookie year, he used to skate down and use a bunch of different head and shoulder fakes, kick his leg, and make a move or rip the shot. Since then, he just kind of skates in nonchalantly and fires the puck. At this point, Oates ought to use Grabo for sure, along with Backstrom and Fehr. As many shootouts as the Caps' have had, it almost would've justified paying Hendo.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Why was Jim Johnson diagramming plays for them, and not a former offensive player?

Fans bored with Dale used to ask the same question here.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Finished watching. Very good game, unupset.
Have someone taking faceoffs for MJ and Grabo.
Troy Brouwer, who led our team in ice time again, needs to be sent to Mezozoic and take his fellow leader Brooksie with him.
Sent Carrick down.
Move Wilson up.
Orlov's one-touch tape2tape long pass was the highlight of the night for me.
Refs sucked.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Why was Jim Johnson diagramming plays for them, and not a former offensive player?

Fans bored with Dale used to ask the same question here.
I don't know how the Sharks normally handle things for upcoming offensive zone plays, but I'm pretty sure Johnson was diagramming the play before a defensive zone draw. Wasn't it right after the Sharks' penalty? My memory is terrible so I'm probably wrong.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I don't know how the Sharks normally handle things for upcoming offensive zone plays, but I'm pretty sure Johnson was diagramming the play before a defensive zone draw. Wasn't it right after the Sharks' penalty? My memory is terrible so I'm probably wrong.

I don't know either :laugh:

But i was amused to see JJ drawing up a play after the ire it created when Dale had him doing the same.

JJ was drawing up offensive zone plays here. But in hindsight, as defensive as we were, it makes perfect sense to have him doing that. Lord knows with our mega offensive only mentality of some guys, they didn't need anyone telling them how to score. Having a D coach reminding them about responsibilities to get back after we flub the one timer play seems to make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad