Post-Game Talk: Capitals vs. Senators. 7:30pm EST. Canadian Tire Center,

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The second goal is a prime example of why I don't mind overpassing.

Yeah, a lot of the time the extra pass leads to no SOG, but when the extra pass connects it leads to a tap-in much of the time. I've crunched the numbers and determined that I'd rather Kuznetsov risk the pass being picked off in an effort to give Ovechkin a shot at this:

View attachment 78373

Was sweet for Kuzy since he almost singlehandedly cost them the game in OT, but like TXPD said, he gave up nothing....not an overpass situation IMO either.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The key to that "overpassing" was that Kuzy had no shot. He gave up nothing with that pass. The overpassing that is stupid is when he gives up an open shot in the slot with net to shoot at or as he did several times last season, pass on a breakaway. this play here was the best option available

He was probably making some poor decisions at times last season but the point I was making is that people sometimes get upset when the "extra pass" is intercepted without realizing that if the pass weren't intercepted it would have led to a tap-in opportunity. An intercepted pass is a failure to score just as a lower quality shot being saved is a failure to score. It's a matter of determining which play has the highest probability of success and I think a lot of the time it's making an extra pass. Goalies are really good at covering the net but if you get them moving save percentages drop dramatically.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Noticed in the OT PK that Carlson and Oprik didn't change at 30 seconds when they could have and that Chorney took the second shift with Niskanen rather than Orlov. So....which line is the 1st line?

I think Orlov had minute+ long shift with Kuzy right before the penalty. Or was it Nisky?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think Orlov had minute+ long shift with Kuzy right before the penalty. Or was it Nisky?
It was Orlov.

Great night for Ovechkin and his line in general but Ottawa without Karlsson and then Oduya leaving them with 5D was almost tailor-made for it. I would have liked to have seen more from the second line under the circumstances. It's a decent start but they're going to need to be able to balance minutes better. Part of it will be scrapping the third pair but the bottom six needs to be better as well. Hopefully we'll see Walker in for Graovac at least, if not Djoos as well at home.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
BTW...At times last night....I thought Orlov looked amazing. You can see his confidence is as high as it’s ever been.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He was probably making some poor decisions at times last season but the point I was making is that people sometimes get upset when the "extra pass" is intercepted without realizing that if the pass weren't intercepted it would have led to a tap-in opportunity. An intercepted pass is a failure to score just as a lower quality shot being saved is a failure to score. It's a matter of determining which play has the highest probability of success and I think a lot of the time it's making an extra pass. Goalies are really good at covering the net but if you get them moving save percentages drop dramatically.

The point I am making is that play was not overpassing and the pass was not an extra pass. It was the best available play. Anderson had Kuzy covered. When people complain about the extra pass is if you were to reverse Ov and Kuzy. Put Kuzy in the slot with the puck and a clean chance and Ov on a bad angle at the side of the net. They complain because 92 gives up a good chance to pass for a lesser chance.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

It was probably the 4 on 3 part of the OT part, less so the shift. Ottawa called time out before the pp started. Oprik played more than the first minute of the pk. Orlov played plenty of pk. I just thought it was interesting.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The point I am making is that play was not overpassing and the pass was not an extra pass. It was the best available play. Anderson had Kuzy covered. When people complain about the extra pass is if you were to reverse Ov and Kuzy. Put Kuzy in the slot with the puck and a clean chance and Ov on a bad angle at the side of the net. They complain because 92 gives up a good chance to pass for a lesser chance.

I agree with your point and your hypothetical.

I’m more speaking about the fans who scream “shoooot!” when it’s clearly a terrible option or when fans are results-oriented when a pass is broken up.

Either way it sounds like we are on the same page.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I still hate the extra man in OT. OT is all about 3-3 and open ice. I am perfectly fine with 3 on 2 hockey. Do teams even practice 4 on 3?

If they are hell bent on 4 on 3, at the end of the penalty, a guy from each team needs to race to the bench. Or, make OT 4 on 4 with no loser point if it ends in 5 minutes. I really hate the regulation loser point. It's too boring and easy to play the shell game.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hopefully we'll see Walker in for Graovac at least, if not Djoos as well at home.

After Ness laid an egg, I certainly hope Djoos is in the line-up.

Not sure if it will be Graovac of DSP sitting. DSP's turnover that led to a goal seems like the type of play that Trotz would banish someone to the doghouse for. However, Graovac was MIA for the later stages of the game (Connolly took at least one of his shifts). He had just 6:22 of TOI, compared to 11:54 for DSP.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Ask and you shall receive:

Now they need to get Djoos and/or Bowey in the lineup. That third pairing is a disaster.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Orpik got into a situation in which he shines in OT. The puck was in the corner, and that's the part of the game that Orpik still excels at (using his strength and size to dominate in the corners and chew clock).

Nobody is particularly concerned with Orpik's board play, because it's a known positive quality. What troubled me with Orpik's game last night was most apparent in the first and second period. He still knows where to be on the ice, he's just a step late getting there at this point. He can still challenge players in the danger zones, but they are often able to establish favorable position on Orpik because they can get there a step sooner than he does. I'll see if I can dig up some video of this later on, but there were a couple chances in the 2nd (IIRC) that were a perfect example of this.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Orpik got into a situation in which he shines in OT. The puck was in the corner, and that's the part of the game that Orpik still excels at (using his strength and size to dominate in the corners and chew clock).

Nobody is particularly concerned with Orpik's board play, because it's a known positive quality. What troubled me with Orpik's game last night was most apparent in the first and second period. He still knows where to be on the ice, he's just a step late getting there at this point. He can still challenge players in the danger zones, but they are often able to establish favorable position on Orpik because they can get there a step sooner than he does. I'll see if I can dig up some video of this later on, but there were a couple chances in the 2nd (IIRC) that were a perfect example of this.
This is exactly why he should be playing on the 3rd pairing with Bowey.

They really need to find someone that meshes with Carlson.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
BTW...At times last night....I thought Orlov looked amazing. You can see his confidence is as high as it’s ever been.

If he keeps progressing like this, he's going to surpass both Carlson (if he hasn't already) and Niskanen as well. He's really good and confident with the puck on his stick, and his defense is many times better than it was 2 years ago.

Ok no complementing any players if they play well then until March/April.

Tough crowd.

I just gave him a compliment, come on dude.
He's not the problem on the blue line right now, it's Ness and Chorney that worry me.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
If he keeps progressing like this, he's going to surpass both Carlson (if he hasn't already) and Niskanen as well. He's really good and confident with the puck on his stick, and his defense is many times better than it was 2 years ago.

I just gave him a compliment, come on dude.
He's not the problem on the blue line right now, it's Ness and Chorney that worry me.

This is a disturbing pair, however after looking at the other teams around the league I think this will be fine for now. We could be in worse shape and have everything to gain by implementing rookies throughout the season. My goodness are some of the defensive pairs around the league look awful on paper. Lots of teams going to wear out their top four, imo.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
This is exactly why he should be playing on the 3rd pairing with Bowey.

They really need to find someone that meshes with Carlson.

Well rather than trying the same old players hopefully Trotz the young guys a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad