Post-Game Talk: Capitals vs. Senators. 7:30pm EST. Canadian Tire Center,

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
They need to find a way to shed 100k in salary, cause just waiving Ness won't be enough to bring Bowey up.

They could waive Chorney. He’s a fringe NHLer with no upside and no one is likely to claim him.

They need to see what they have with Bowey.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The Rangers Corsi Crew in love with Shattenkirk and his -3 against the Avs.

Know who else was a -3 last night? Brooks Orpik. And most here agree Orpik played relatively well and was let down by his teammates more than anything.

Don’t use +/-. It’s bad.

Edit: Ness and Chorney we’re both +2. +/- is REALLY bad.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
What happened to that guy? Was he this bad for the Blues/. I really thought he was what we needed for the playoffs last year. What a colossal disappointment.

He was sheltered by the Blues. He had easy matchups, because Pietrangelo and Parayko took all the hard ones. I thought we could shelter him just fine by playing him behind Niskanen and Carlson but having Orpik next to him negated the sheltering.

Simply put, when he's not in a position that caters to his strengths, he sucks. He was amazing for us on the PP but he couldn't defend at ES. A glorified Mike Green.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
They could waive Chorney. He’s a fringe NHLer with no upside and no one is likely to claim him.

They need to see what they have with Bowey.

I think Chorney is fine as a 6/7, he's only signed for this season, but yeah that would fix the problem.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think Shattenkirk was downright bad with the Caps last year, he just wasn't the difference maker we all hoped for.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
This is exactly why he should be playing on the 3rd pairing with Bowey.

They really need to find someone that meshes with Carlson.

They need to put Djoos at 2LD with Carlson and Bowey at 3RD with Orpik. Ride it until January and let the kids figure it out and if it's not working then make a trade. Orpik at 2LD with the Ness-Chorney 3rd pairing is going to bite them in the ass in the long run. Orpik can't play 25+ minutes per night all season and if they make the playoffs with riding those six as their D, they're going to get seriously exposed once opposing teams are able to game plan and attack weaknesses.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
As noted previously by Iafrate, our D pairs are not the only ones reeling from expansion. Barry cannot fear using the young players we have. Just deal with it, everyone else is. If it's really bad, BMac will be forced to address it.

I have argued that expansion lowers the overall level of play. The game basically degraded. Largely AHL guys are now regulars. You can only fight it so much. Barry. It's actually a good test for him.

I feel bad for our guys in Hershey hoping for spots only to see them get taken by Chaisson, Pelly, and Graovac. And maybe even Chorney. Turning to fringe NHLers sends the wrong message to the kids in our system and NCAA kids that eye ball which orgs churn out prospects.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Getting the player who will mesh with Carlson is not in the cards financially. Maybe the best in house candidate is Johansen. But is it worth to throw him to the wolves?

While Orpik is here and we don't have any cap space... I don't see how we can get better partner for Carlson. Let Djoos try to stick with him first. Hell, even Chorney if Djoos isn't up for that.

I'll wait for Orpik-Bowey.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Getting the player who will mesh with Carlson is not in the cards financially. Maybe the best in house candidate is Johansen. But is it worth to throw him to the wolves?

While Orpik is here and we don't have any cap space... I don't see how we can get better partner for Carlson. Let Djoos try to stick with him first. Hell, even Chorney if Djoos isn't up for that.

I'll wait for Orpik-Bowey.

Maybe it’s Orpik who needs the better partner...just sayin...Carlson already looks out to lunch.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Orpik was a warrior in OT, but gets almost zero respect here for it.

Orpik and Carlson were good together in 2015. They "just work" in simple terms. I asked for it last season. Hopefully they get a long look this year. Orpik is a work out machine. If he stays healthy (big if), then the top 4 has a great option. I honestly think that Orpik is Carlson's best partner to get Carslon back to "being Carlson". And it makes a good top 4

Move down Ness and DSP, allow Walker to play every day, bring up Bowey, and pair one of Djoos/Bowey with Chorney. Let those 3 battle it out for bottom pair.

In a perfect world, (once Wilson is back), the spread around the offense below Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Vrana (put Oshie w Eller, and Burakovsly w Backstrom....then figure out who of Connelly and Wilson works better with those pairs. Then let Beagle center line 4 and have Chiasson, Walker, Graovac battler out for 4th line.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
They need to put Djoos at 2LD with Carlson and Bowey at 3RD with Orpik. Ride it until January and let the kids figure it out and if it's not working then make a trade. Orpik at 2LD with the Ness-Chorney 3rd pairing is going to bite them in the ass in the long run. Orpik can't play 25+ minutes per night all season and if they make the playoffs with riding those six as their D, they're going to get seriously exposed once opposing teams are able to game plan and attack weaknesses.

I don't often disagree wih you, but I do here. The bottom pair should play 12-13minutes, tops. We have 3 really strong D-men (Orlov/Niskanen/Carlson) who should all play 24-26min a night. Orpik slots in around 19-20, and bottom pair as stated above. Carlson should play heavy PP minutes and some PK. Orpik only PK. Def mix in the 3rd pair occasionally w Orpik or Carlson, but not as steady pairs. Least not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad