Series Discussion: Capitals vs Islanders

Who Will Win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Given the comments by Kuzy and Ovie about "fun" and "simple" replacing "Corsi or whatever that stat is" (to paraphrase), you have to wonder if the turnaround we saw was fury unleashed by the players or the coaches. I doubt the players tied themselves up in knots *as a team* worrying about fancy stats. It's much more likely somewhere in the coaching message there's a sudden preponderance of stat-focus that didn't exist under Trotz.

Here's hoping that disregard continues for many more games, but it also begs the question "if this is from the coaches, are they the right coaches?"

And yes, it's only 1/2 of one game. Could completely revert in G5.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Skimmed the replay of the game. So I know a little bit now.

I am sure Carlson is playing on one leg or diminished. Even with that he has 6pts in 4 games.
Fancy stats: Ive heard players and former players talk about how those stats are front and center at contract and evaluation time. That many players make decisions more often than you would think based on how a good play can look like a bad play in the stats. I would not be shocked to find a bit of rebellion against those stats and the influence they can have.

Why has Vrana become the bad Burakovsky?
MacLellan needs to reevaluate some of his roster construction. I realize that Backstrom is not replaceable but when you lose him the result shouldnt be effectively playing a man short with the replacement stapled to the bench.

Kovalchuk? Is his career over again?

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Kuzy actually made things happen and looked like 2018 Kuzy, that was cool. Ovi is a such a stud. That snipe for the GW goal was absurd. Where the f*** has Vrana been?? He looked like he was about to take the next step and become a great player a couple years ago and now he's invisible. We need some young guys to step up and help out the veteran core. My son whose first season of hardcore fandom was 2018 had lost faith and didn't even want to watch the game last night, if this guy only knew how many times I've had to deal with disappointment and still keep on rooting for them in the face of it.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Not sure whom I disappointed in more Kovalchuk or Vrana. Both have been pretty bad. We need some secondary scoring badly if we want to have a chance to win this series...

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Hmm “well” for a goal scorer isn’t a zero pt, 3 shot, -1 performance....for me at least.

He was better.

Ya.. that was not good enough to warrant "well". Hes making progress and I could see him going on a nice little run here... but his game 4 performance wasnt good enough.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Offensive monsters like Ovi and Kuzy will score goals without much help from defensemen. But other three lines need a guy like Carlson, Djoos or Gudas to score goals. Carlson is hurt. Gudas was scratched. Djoos is traded. You shall not score a lot with a hurt Carlson, four stonehanded guys and Orlov as your only offensive treat.

Reactions: shtorm2005

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
Offensive monsters like Ovi and Kuzy will score goals without much help from defensemen. But other three lines need a guy like Carlson, Djoos or Gudas to score goals. Carlson is hurt. Gudas was scratched. Djoos is traded. You shall not score a lot with a hurt Carlson, four stonehanded guys and Orlov as your only offensive treat.

Uhh, Gudas has been in the last 2 games? He's not exactly an offensive juggernaut either, same with Djoos, who's totally irrelevant actually. If I'm looking for someone to create offense from D, I'm looking at guys like Carlson, Jensen, Orlov and Fehevary.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Carlson's points in this series are more than offset by his -8 IMHO.

I'm not blaming the guy but he looks too injured to be playing right now.

I think his mental game looks worse....physically he doesn’t seem hampered. Mentally he looks brain dead to me on too many shifts.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Assuming if Boston wins, it will a 3-4pm game for us, if carolina wins, it'll be 8pm.
I think it's the opposite.

If Boston wins = series over = Caps can play at 8pm
If Carolina wins = back to back games = need some rest = they play at 8pm

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ive got an odd feeling. The Nats pulled for the Caps to get their cup. The Caps were the inspiration for the Nats to get their world series. Now the Caps need to use the Nats go 1 and 0 today plan to keep going. It just feels right

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
upload_2020-8-19_17-27-3.png

There is also talk about the goatees, a team "chat" or other mysterious bonding coming from Ovechkin and others. Kuzy also shaved his head bald. So there's some kind of player-led thing going on.

(clip from WaPo article)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/18/washington-capitals-new-york-islanders-game-4/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad