Post-Game Talk: Capitals Vs Devils - 12/21/13 7:00 PM - Caps Lose 5-4 (OT)

aquablue

May 4, 2010
i get the feeling Holtby is nursing an injury. Seems to be moving a little slower than at full capacity. That being said, the defense in front of him is abysmal, they don't cover the slot AT ALL.

It's time for George to ship out green for a proper defenseman.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Tonight we saw a well structured system vs a group with more talent. The caps are some **** in the neutral zone and it's several issues mainly poor decision making.

They dump and chase but the lack of communication makes it so they can never out number the defense and it's an easy behind the net controlled breakout to the other end. While the devils had a body on anything crossing any line both blues and red.

Holtby is just meh right now. Made an incredible stop on that 2 on 1 early but his rebounds were poorly contained,the whole building knew Zidlicky was getting that one timer and a starting goalie stops that with no screen. His playing of the puck is annoying and I wish Benanati would shut up about his hands because he gets more assists to the other team than anything. Very predictable and I'd honestly rather him ice the puck then pass to Erskine or Green with any type of resistance. This is a recurring issue and literally gave the game away.

Sucks to choke to a team with so many old players but again they are structured and the caps are running on talent alone. Oates is merely proving he is a great assistant coach and can certainly bring the offense out of players he puts in the work with. The fact that teams like Pittsburgh who can lose an entire lineup and look better defensively,many other teams with less talent can shut it down like Philly shows that there isn't much stress on taking away any space to the opposition. I remember when Oates was hired he said he would instill a game much like the Kings and be tenacious in all three zones. Total opposite.

Also...Erat with two assists and an Eklund rumor that the devils were interested. I can see the fit there and I wonder what we could add to get Adam Larsson....pipe dream prob but they haven't been playing him.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
i get the feeling Holtby is nursing an injury. Seems to be moving a little slower than at full capacity. That being said, the defense in front of him is abysmal, they don't cover the slot AT ALL.

He wouldn't be playing if he was injured. The only thing hurt right now is his ego and confidence.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
He's not the one on the ice. Hard to coach dumb and lack of situational awareness OUT of a player or 3.

There's not a single player pressuring the puck on the backcheck, all they do is skate around like chickens without their heads waving their sticks.

Most of the time they will close on a guy and follow him and as soon as they dump the puck do they finally push them.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There's not a single player pressuring the puck on the backcheck, all they do is skate around like chickens without their heads waving their sticks.

Most of the time they will close on a guy and follow him and as soon as they dump the puck do they finally push them.

They're passive to a fault. Is this Oates' "system"?!?!?

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
They're passive to a fault. Is this Oates' "system"?!?!?

iIJ1HIVN7tROk.gif

Here's Laich doing it...

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I was just happy he put some sort of back check on. Getting them to back check is the first step to doing it well.

I'd rather they make it so a team dreads going through the neutral zone.

The Kings and Blues harrass the puck carrier, they push and they use their stick and tap them on their leg and hip, just a slight nudge, not basbeball swings and its completely legal for them to do so.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Well, with a D like ours, Holeby struggling with consistency and a top line that looks like their on the PK most of the time (5v5) this is what you end up with...

The 1 shift Mojo decides to play like a man, (he gets an Smokin Al mention) they cause a turnover and Ovi gets some space and scores (a psuedo) shorty.. lol

Our top D pair and 3 of our best grinder/energy/2 way guys score 2 even strength goals yet end up a -1 on the night.. You just can't make that **** up.. As the Great8 often says.. "It is what is" :cry:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I am curious what Calle is actually coaching them to do.

He doesn't seem to coach them to gap up, take the body, take away the stick around the crease, or clear players out of the crease. I struggle to think of something that they consistently execute well, as a group.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

He doesn't seem to coach them to gap up, take the body, take away the stick around the crease, or clear players out of the crease. I struggle to think of something that they consistently execute well, as a group.

He's taking the long term Swedish approach. Give him 10 years, these guys will execute like a Swe.. Swiss clock :)

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida

They give up leads.. That's what they consistently do..

Im starting to question the coaches in all phases. Oats, Calle, Kolzig.. Why do all our young goalies come up and look dynamite for a month, then start giving up softies and struggle with consistency?

The teams just a mess really.. 20-30 minutes of NHL quality hockey a night just won't get the job done very often..

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA

Uhhh not taking advantage of the other teams line change. They love to pass it to one another and eventually the 1 man forecheck turns into a 3 man forecheck really quick and they lose the puck.

Orlov is probably infuriating him, because Orlov just ends up saying **** it and carries it up the ice.

Vladiator16*

Stayed up till ****ing 2 AM watching this game... cant believe we squandered 4-2 lead. We stole some really tough ones recently and in typical (play down to opposition) Caps style we let somebody like New Jersey still 2 from us.

Edit: Such little 5 on 5 creativity should be truly bothersome...

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012

I think if Holtby were nursing an injury, Oates would be smart enough to play one of the other TWO healthy goalies currently on the roster.

But you never know... Oates is a moron, after all.

Regarding coaches... anyone find it somewhat comical that Kolzig has been preaching "not cutting down the angle" on bad angle shots, and our goalies have let in FAR more ridiculous-angled shots this year?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think I could pull 3 ex caps players out of a hat and they would do as well our 3 currently. Looking back at last year, which coach exceeded expectations?

Forsythe. Non ex-capital.

I bet a staff of Stevens Bondra and Jarvis would do just fine.

Agree NBTW, I struggle to figure out what we are going on D. But I am not sure Calle has any say in the matter. Oates is a stickler.

If Holtby was injured he doesn't have to tell the coach. Players have all sorts of injuries game in and game out. Complaining about an injury opens a door for someone to take your spot, from the players perspective.

Speaking of which I went under because I figured Grubbie would get the start. Agree Troy, its laughable to think a goalie cannot play back to backs.

Interesting to hear Kolzig is coaching them up to not hug the posts. Basically playing the pass. We seem to fall victim of that far too much, even before Kolzig came in. If a guy is a great passer and never shoots (think Oates himself), sure play the pass a little more.

Last edited:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
i get the feeling Holtby is nursing an injury. Seems to be moving a little slower than at full capacity.

Since they are carrying 3 goaltenders there is absolutely no reason to play him if that is the case. Holtby just isn't playing particularly well and the lack of playing time recently isn't likely to change that IMO.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Regarding coaches... anyone find it somewhat comical that Kolzig has been preaching "not cutting down the angle" on bad angle shots, and our goalies have let in FAR more ridiculous-angled shots this year?

There is no reason to challenge the shot and cut down the angle when it is already a bad angle shot. They are not staying tight to the near post and are not being technically sound with respect to their stick position on those plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad