Post-Game Talk: Capitals Vs Canucks- 3/14/14 7:00 PM Caps Win 4-3

InfernalDark*

xQtLUGU.gif

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Wilson really showed his hands on that goal. Beauty of a pass by Kuznetsov too.

Halak Halaked 'em when it counted. That toe save when the puck went under his pad.

I think the Kuznetsov - Beagle - Wilson dynamic works well, so rather than a Grabovski, I'd like to see a better version of Beagle between them. Full healthy lines:

Johansson - Grabovski - Ovechkin
Penner - Backstrom - Brouwer
Chimera - Fehr - Ward
Kuznetsov - Laich - Wilson

And just roll 'em. Ovechkin and Backstrom will get their extra minutes on the PP. Also note the lack of Beagle and Volpatti.

Might as well try it. The season is on the line and that is potentially, four solid lines.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
We just need to forget about Grabovski for now. I doubt he comes back this season, and if he does it'll be too late.

and then knowing George's track record with 2C's, he'll be gone next year as well.

Burakovsky95*

All he said in his interview is that he basically gives all credit to his linemates. Wouldn't accept any praise. Nothing like Brouwer/Laich.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Great to see Kuz breeding life back into our team.

I will say it again, great players have nothing to learn. Rink size, linemates, nothing. More likely, the players on the ice have to learn to play with a world class talent, learn to play with a guy that snaps passes when we normally dump it, aka turn it over deliberately. You could see it in his first period of his first game, crushing passes no one is ready for.

Wow, I better get ready. And its contagious. Everyone picks their heads up and is looking to make a skilled play. Every player wants to score a goal, it is their cash cow. Suddenly, there is hope. Players now care. Watch out.

I wish Oates would dump his system and unleash the horses and save the season. The less Kuz knows about the Oates system, the better.

Sorry Coach, noah speakah engwish. Translated: Step back, coach. Oates has exactly no experience adding world class rookies to a sinking team. None.

Last edited:

Laista

Apr 21, 2012
Gävle
My two cents! Kuz will make this team offload some from No 8 and 19.
That means Backs maybe will start producing again like old times.
Backstrom needs to be playing with someone that thinks alike and the kid could be the answer? They looked good out thereb ut then again Kuznetzov had chemistry with almost all other players, great talent and GREAT adaptation i am impressed!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I also want to see Kuz with Nick, and no Ovi. Playing with Ovi just changes Nicks game.

We have seen Nick be a fixture on a line with Ovi but we all saw Ovi can score 50+ goals without him. Nick and MJ both defer to Ovi far too often, and refuse to shoot. Its far too easy to play against a player that doesn't shoot. It just is, and yet Adam wonders why our top line has sucked all year at ES.

Dare I upset the Ovi is a great passer crowd and suggest that Kuznetsov may be a better passer.

And getting great passers together breeds puck control which breeds possession time momentum and prevents goals against. Why waste your best passer with a shooter that doesn't need him?

Cue Oates mind blown.gif

A different look

Penner Laich/MJ Ovi
Kuz Nick Brouwer/Wilson :yo:
Chimera MJ/Fehr/Laich Ward

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I also want to see Kuz with Nick, and no Ovi. Playing with Ovi just changes Nicks game.

We have seen Nick be a fixture on a line with Ovi but we all saw Ovi can score 50+ goals without him. Nick and MJ both defer to Ovi far too often, and refuse to shoot. Its far too easy to play against a player that doesn't shoot. It just is, and yet Adam wonders why our top line has sucked all year at ES.

Dare I upset the Ovi is a great passer crowd and suggest that Kuznetsov may be a better passer.

And getting great passers together breeds puck control which breeds possession time momentum and prevents goals against. Why waste your best passer with a shooter that doesn't need him?

Cue Oates mind blown.gif

A different look

Penner Laich/MJ Ovi
Kuz Nick Brouwer/Wilson :yo:
Chimera MJ/Fehr/Laich Ward

It's not all about passing but I like what you have. The caps have one player that only shows flashes of carrying the puck with a defender on their back and that is Backstrom. Also mojo passes just fine,however often your only option is to dump it low and into the corner where Mj90 will not come out with it even if the pass was good. Ovi also makes a few turnovers from passes or bad stick handling.

I know everyone hates when they get broken up but I always thought the Caps were a stronger team when Ovechkin was on a less skilled line and could be unleashed a bit more. He finds ways to just get goals plus PP time would stay the same. Make the opponent game plan to stop your top line which is in sync. Then Ovechkin running wild which even if you gameplan for he still is a threat. I've seen Ovie win games playing with Mojo,Grabo and Ribiero.

coyote

Jul 21, 2002
Visit site
must win

One up with 30 seconds left in the game and you put your worst minus player on the ice in a must win game, ??????. Also I think that Penner is a lazy hockey player and I do not know why we acquired him. Bring Kuz up to the second line and Penner down to the 4th line or press box.

fsnoles98

Mar 16, 2009
Good game from the team, but don't forget that they were playing a team in termoil as much as we are. Let's see how we do in the next game.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
4th line easily the best line and Oates repays them by giving Beagle more ice time. :laugh:

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Show GM the door.

Retain Grabo, let Penner walk, and get rid of Beagle. They start next year with:

Laich-Grabo-OV
Kuz-Backstrom-Wilson
Chim-Mojo-Ward
Fehr-Latta-Brouwer
(Brown, Volp)

That's absolutely fine with Laviolette behind the bench, who isn't "handed" stupid so OV might end up back on the left side, etc.

Holtby/Halak works, too.

Alzner/Carlson as 1-2 is fine. Olrov/Schmidt (Ole) is good for me as 5-7. They desperately need to kill Calle and find two top-4 Dmen though, which means finding other plans for Erskine, Hillen, Carrick, and whomever else. And Green can't get out of here fast enough as far as I'm concerned. Find someone who still thinks his goal scoring is an asset and trade him.

This team is not that far away. There's just waaay too much stupid in the most important places.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I like Penner. He does a lot of good things that don't necessarily end up on the score sheet. I'd say retain.

Penner - Grabo - Ovechkin
Kuzya - Backstrom - Wilson
Chimera - Mojo - Ward
Fehr - Laich - Brouwer

Laista

Apr 21, 2012
Gävle
I would not be upset if Kuz took about half of the PP moments from Backs!
I think Ovie and Kuz in PP would be pretty OK!
Then Caps would have a one-two PP punch!

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
All he said in his interview is that he basically gives all credit to his linemates. Wouldn't accept any praise. Nothing like Brouwer/Laich.

And some Caps fans continue to make something out of nothing. :shakehead

i guess these boards wouldn't be worth visiting unless you couldn't stir the pot a bit.

Isn't there a dog somewhere that needs to be kicked as well.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Show GM the door.

Retain Grabo, let Penner walk, and get rid of Beagle. They start next year with:

Laich-Grabo-OV
Kuz-Backstrom-Wilson
Chim-Mojo-Ward
Fehr-Latta-Brouwer
(Brown, Volp)

That's absolutely fine with Laviolette behind the bench, who isn't "handed" stupid so OV might end up back on the left side, etc.

Holtby/Halak works, too.

Alzner/Carlson as 1-2 is fine. Olrov/Schmidt (Ole) is good for me as 5-7. They desperately need to kill Calle and find two top-4 Dmen though, which means finding other plans for Erskine, Hillen, Carrick, and whomever else. And Green can't get out of here fast enough as far as I'm concerned. Find someone who still thinks his goal scoring is an asset and trade him.

This team is not that far away. There's just waaay too much stupid in the most important places.

Backstrom had a good night in the dot but you still haven't addressed this team's face off needs at center. MAJO just has to go, he's a faster version of Tomas Fleischman without as much dangle to his game. Caps need a good face centerman.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Good game from the team, but don't forget that they were playing a team in termoil as much as we are. Let's see how we do in the next game.

Reality Check - no Denis Sedin and no Ryan Kesler along with significant drop off between their pipes and Caps just squeaked out a win.

Before last night there was 15 games remaining and I projected the Caps only winning 4 of those to include last night. Expect Caps to go 3 and 11 to finish out the season.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Reality Check - no Denis Sedin and no Ryan Kesler along with significant drop off between their pipes and Caps just squeaked out a win.

Before last night there was 15 games remaining and I projected the Caps only winning 4 of those to include last night. Expect Caps to go 3 and 11 to finish out the season.

Who is Denis Sedin?

But yes, at best, this team goes 7-7 the rest of the way and probably closer to your prediction.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I would not be upset if Kuz took about half of the PP moments from Backs!
I think Ovie and Kuz in PP would be pretty OK!
Then Caps would have a one-two PP punch!

You want to limit the PP time of the NHL leader in PP points?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Who is to say that Kuz would not have more points in Nick's role all year on PP1? He sure looked fine last night pushing pucks to Carlson. We are not talking about an average prospect.

Dare I think he would have more PP goals that Nick and maybe even make our PP more dynamic.

Nick has had more than a fair shot to lead our team into the playoffs. Nothing against Nick, but leading the league in PP points rah rah will not get us anywhere in the playoffs.

Maybe by limiting his ice time on the PP he wouldn't appear so gassed to me at ES.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad