Post-Game Talk: Capitals vs Blue Jackets 12:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
They looked against Pens a couple games ago

Any team can get in a groove any given game. That game was magical for sure but this team cannot generate offensive production when not playing with tremendous emotion or in a rare groove as they were that night. There has to be a point, with proper coaching, where things are second nature.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They got hosed on the HS call. Should have killed it.

My main question is Kuzy? Burt?
Kuznetsov is with Ovechkin and was invisible. Burt has not scored a goal in 17 straight games.

Additional thought today was all the talk of Backstrom being too slow and not elite and Kuzy the 1c.

The Caps can find away around Burakovsky collapsing but they cant replace Kuznetsov.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Doesn't come close

the funny part of that is, that Backstrom's stick goes up and comes back down and is reaching for the puck before Foligno's head moves. The referee supervisor for this game is going to write a great report on this game.

Its not that it was a missed call. It was a missed call, a sold call, in the final two minutes of a tie game that resulted in the game winning goal. This one of those things that go into the file for post season assignments. Boo.

Life goes on.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
phantom high sticking penalties aren't 2 inches away from the players face.

ah...I see. so not hitting a guy with a high stick is also a penalty. its like the in the neighborhood play in baseball.

meanwhile, if we are going to go so far as the nail backstrom for nearly hitting foligno, foligno very much earned the embellishment penalty that he didn't get

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
A lot of Semin's were definitely reputation calls. Stuff that other guys could get away with he was called for all the time.

his reputation calls were getting hooking penalties when he was trying to stick lift guys. Yes they were often ticky tack calls because of his rep but at least he was making actual stick to player contact.

As opposed to Backstrom who doesn't have a rep and didn't touch the guy.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Have we tried splitting up 8/19/92 into three separate lines yet this season?

Yes, that was the famous top line Beagle experiment. Needless to say, that didn't work. Now, if you want to split 8/19/92, here's what I would try considering injuries:

8-90-14
65-19-43
82-92-10
26-83-28

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Also to the poster suggesting 65 center a line - that experiment didn't work out that well. Other than Sanford, Mojo is the most natural center, and he's been playing so well on the wing it would be silly to risk jeopardising one of the few successful cogs in the machine.

90-19-77/65/43
8-20-77/65/43
10-92-77/65/43
82-83-14

...at least might enable scoring from the top two lines (plus Beagle).

The bigger issue is we're seemingly weaker in our top-9 than we were this time last year. Williams, Connolly and Sanford are playing like Stan Galiev - sometimes doing well by the eye test, but rarely marking the scoresheet. Eller, Burakovsky and Kuzy are just barely better. The team's been leaning a lot on Mojo, Backstrom, Ovi, Oshie and Beagle to provide offence up front, which is unsustainable in the regular season not to mention playoffs.

As it stands, Williams is essentially a strong 4th liner/mediocre 3rd liner - we've gone from 7 top-6 players to maybe 5 or 6. Instinctively we need to change up the locker room in order to at least bring that number up to 6 - a replacement winger for Williams would give us flexibility to move Mojo to 2/3C if need be, or more productively shuffle our wingers in slumps.

If we could get a good winger for Orlov and Winnik, maybe with a second class prospect or pick thrown in, would we be at a signficant disadvantage? In other words:

90-19-77
8-92-43
65-20-XX
10-83-14

27-2
88-74
44-4
Ness/Bowey

Our D corps would be weaker, at least offensively, but to me a proper scoring winger > Orlov right now, especially as we're going to have an Orlov expansion draft problem anyway.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Kuzy slumping makes me heavily miss Chimera and Ward. It'd be great to just shove Kuzya between those two for a few games and let them do the dirty work, see if that'd free him back up again to be great. Its a real shame Justin Williams hasn't been totally as advertised, I was hoping he could fill that "veteran" role those two did on a line and help bring a long a guy with some issues.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Kuzy slumping makes me heavily miss Chimera and Ward. It'd be great to just shove Kuzya between those two for a few games and let them do the dirty work, see if that'd free him back up again to be great. Its a real shame Justin Williams hasn't been totally as advertised, I was hoping he could fill that "veteran" role those two did on a line and help bring a long a guy with some issues.

Right now Williams > Chimera, though. Yes it'd be great to have Chimera of this time last year - likewise for Williams and Kuzy - but that's not an option.

The best chance you have of that right now is arguably playing him with Beagle and Connolly or Winnik. At least playing him in a third line role - away from Burt, Ovi, Mojo etc. - might give him (or them) easier opposition on the ice.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Tre Kronor Line
Ovi-Eller-Oshie
Carey-Kuzy-Williams
Winnik-Beagle-Wilson

Covers many problems theoretically

PS: By the looks of it they will wait much more for Orlov to accumulate top-4 experience before they change D pairs. No reason to force Orpik to play more at November also. So I consider this D corps as not playoff setup (possible though) but as intermediate. Kinda makes sense. They will need another quality play from Orlov to make him top-4 in playoffs. We are not seeing it yet and we don't need to expect it right now. I don't see a problem here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad