Post-Game Talk: Capitals vs. BJs at 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Something needs to change with this team. This has been the same ******** since after the all star break last year. We need more speed, more creativity, and we need to take some risks. We have the goaltending to bail us out. I say let them play and see what happens.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
It's very clear in the Trotz era that this team never, ever, ever blows anyone out. It's no coincidence. For whatever reason, whether the ability to motivate his team when in the lead or his game plan with the lead, it's a problem. Getting tired of the line changes as his answer to everything.

Folks, Trotz needs to go. We need to get to the next level.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
We're going to get smoked in Pittsburgh if Trotz keeps these line combinations.

Heck, we're probably going to get smoked anyways.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I'll put some of the blame on Trotz for making ridiculous line combinations, but the majority of the team needs to step up.

I think Trotz is a big part of the problem. But I agree that without Kuzy and OV playing at an all star level, which they are not, this team is not that good. Our draft picks the last 2-3 years have been subpar and we have not made any great trades either.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It's not just you.

Of course we didn't have deep playoff drives or SC's w/BB :sarcasm:

I miss the style BB coached but I have such a grudge against the guy for failing to really develop the young guns. He was so in awe of the raw talent that he let them build bad habits that have haunted their careers.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
If you can review offsides they should also review penalties.

Offsides should be a subjective call, not under a microscope so long after the fact. A player clearly trying to stay onside, and is not offside to the naked eye even to opposition fans, play on.

What really bugs me is that offsides is supposedly an objective call, which is why they have they made it reviewable, but when you get into these split second, not visible to the naked eye calls they always end up being subjective. Did the skater have possession? Based on a bunch of inconclusive angles, was the skate off the ice?

And the same thing happens on goalie interference calls. Did that slight contact impair the goalie's ability to make the save? Was the player forced into the goalie by the defender, or could he have stopped himself if he tried? Unless it's obvious enough that the refs will get it right on the ice, there's rarely a clear answer. It's almost never irrefutable evidence to support overturning the call on the ice, but the NHL standard seems to be that you need irrefutable evidence for the call to stand. The whole thing is ridiculous, and I really can't believe they didn't fix it this offseason.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
When whole team looks blah, usually it's the coach who gets the axe.

They look ripe for an embarrassing 6-1 loss to pens tomorrow, with Crosby potting two, just to add extra dose of misery.

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
#makethecapsoffensiveagain

Bruce Boudreau was the only coach to use the Caps' firepower properly. I wonder what guys like Q and Babcock would do with a team like this on their hands.

Barry Trotz is not the man to guide them to a Stanley Cup. Maybe he is the perfect Leonsis coach...You know, get into the playoffs, keep the cash flowing, managing the games...

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Trotz deemphasizes skill in how he talks, coaches and operates.

We were one of the best possession team's at the start of last year and the best this year and like clockwork Trotz decides to **** it up.

Isabelle KhurshudyanVerified account ‏@ikhurshudyan 41s42 seconds ago
Trotz said some players on the team aren't "committed" to scoring.

Why is it always effort with this guy?

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
When whole team looks blah, usually it's the coach who gets the axe.

They look ripe for an embarrassing 6-1 loss to pens tomorrow, with Crosby potting two, just to add extra dose of misery.

As he should. I think our sample size has been big enough to know his limitations as a coach. Interesting what May just said. "They need more of a plan on the rush, guys in the right place". Been saying this for 2 years, not a Trotz forte.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I miss the style BB coached but I have such a grudge against the guy for failing to really develop the young guns. He was so in awe of the raw talent that he let them build bad habits that have haunted their careers.
Many do.

To a degree, have to give BB a pass on Semin. Doubt any HC could get 28 to give it his best most nights.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
CxWnv95XEAAfDmM.jpg

He's so delusional.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think Trotz is a big part of the problem. But I agree that without Kuzy and OV playing at an all star level, which they are not, this team is not that good. Our draft picks the last 2-3 years have been subpar and we have not made any great trades either.

We've made one good trade, when we flipped Brouwer for Oshie. We've made two solid signings, Niskanen and Williams. Other than that, I agree with you, the Caps destroyed the league last year because we had 3 All-Star forwards and the best goalie in the league.

CxWnv95XEAAfDmM.jpg

He's so delusional.

Here's the thing. Trotz is partially right on this one. Some players on the team right now aren't scoring because they're not working hard enough.

Ovi was scoring at his usual 50 goal pace because he was going to the net to get deflections and rebounds. Now he's on the perimeter and not making an effort to carry the play, so he's been kept scoreless in the past 2 games. Kuzy is not scoring because something is wrong between his ears, and as a result he's not working to get his points. He was a hound on the puck last year, now he's just floating around and forcing passes.

The others guys like Burakovsky or Sanford aren't scoring, but it's not because they're not trying. They're just lost, and it's Trotz's job to get them back on track.

I'll tell you what, Trotz is a dinosaur when it comes to coaching offense. That's why your typical grinders like Beagle, Chimera or Ward were able to succeed in his system. He can't coach an Alex Ovechkin or a Evgeny Kuznetsov in the offensive zone. Kuzy and Ovi under Trotz have been scoring thanks to their natural brilliance offensively. Kuznetsov doing his trick passes and Ovechkin hammering one timers has nothing to do with Trotz's coaching, but it allowed us to destroy the league last year.

Guess what, other teams have adapted to us and are now neutralising our stars. Yes, they should try harder but we need to go back either to a speed game or a full on physical game. We can't continue to be this half-assed physical/skill hybrid team. We need an identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino