Pre-Game Talk: Capitals @ Rangers - Tuesday November 3, 7:00 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
caps are a very good team. they have 2 strong scoring lines.

should be a good test early on. this is one of the teams that could hurt us come playoff time.

kuznetsov is becoming a real weapon.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I can't really blame AV for not wanting to try McDonagh-Klein against the OV line, but then again it's early November and some experimenting can't hurt

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Discuss the game please. Really not in the mood today to rehash that particular Eastern Conference Final. Okay?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
McD-G, Staal-Klein

giphy.gif

I'm all for McIlrath getting a game but I'd prefer to not mess with things against the Washington ****ing Capitals.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
AV said at today's Presser that he was still debating whether to go McD-G or McD-Klein, so we can still hope. It's not broken, AV. Dont try to fix anything! Please.

Klein may get PP time for the 2nd time this year (only other time was the WPG game when Boyle was out and McI was in). I don't think AV trusts Klein's ability to move the puck on the PP, so he's still pondering what to do.

My wants for now:

Nash - Brass - Zuuc
Kreider - Steps - Oscar
Miller - Hayes - Fast
Staalberg - Moore - Stoll

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If the offense remains anemic I'd like to see a major shakeup of lines, honestly.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Brassard-Zuccarello
Lindberg/Stalberg-Hayes-Etem
Stalberg/Lindberg-Moore-Fast

Miller's offense needs the best chance of success. I liked him with Brassard last year in the PO. His lack of defensive acumen is way overblown. He's still prone to the occasional dzone drop pass that might result in a turnover. He's a big body who can skate and battle defensively. He's one of those guys who gets faster with the puck on his stick though, makes sense him being a great offensive talent, which is why I want him in the top6.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
If the offense remains anemic I'd like to see a major shakeup of lines, honestly.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Brassard-Zuccarello
Lindberg/Stalberg-Hayes-Etem
Stalberg/Lindberg-Moore-Fast

Miller's offense needs the best chance of success. I liked him with Brassard last year in the PO. His lack of defensive acumen is way overblown. He's still prone to the occasional dzone drop pass that might result in a turnover. He's a big body who can skate and battle defensively. He's one of those guys who gets faster with the puck on his stick though, makes sense him being a good offensive player, which is why I want him in the top6.

What would your shakeup entail if you were told you could not touch the N-B-Z line?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What would your shakeup entail if you were told you could not touch the N-B-Z line?

Honestly, I'd think about taking Nash off the line. Nash and Kreider have combined for 2 goals in 22 man-games between them this season thus far. Garbage. Both guys should be 30 goal scorers this year...Doesn't look like that is going to happen now.

But, if we don't take Nash off that line...I would put Miller in the top6 where his offensive capabilites can shine, like they did in the Tampa series last year.

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-Miller

Then for the bottom 6 probably the same as my OP. Jarret Stoll as 13th forward/scratch. He's great at faceoffs, but his other abilites are sort of redundant in the other depth players we have. Keep giving Etem top9 looks while his fate is ultimately decided down the road. If Etem becomes a liability or as bad as he has been at times, you can put Stoll in for him.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Honestly, I'd think about taking Nash off the line. Nash and Kreider have combined for 2 goals in 22 man-games between them this season thus far. Garbage. Both guys should be 30 goal scorers this year...Doesn't look like that is going to happen now.

But, if we don't take Nash off that line...I would put Miller in the top6 where his offensive capabilites can shine, like they did in the Tampa series last year.

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-Miller

Then for the bottom 6 probably the same as my OP. Jarret Stoll as 13th forward/scratch. He's great at faceoffs, but his other abilites are sort of redundant in the other depth players we have. Keep giving Etem top9 looks while his fate is ultimately decided down the road. If Etem becomes a liability or as bad as he has been at times, you can put Stoll in for him.

After their success last game (and let's face it, we really needed a big performance from one of the top 2 lines), I say we leave N-B-Z alone for now. Don't care if Zuuc and Brass score all the goals if that line can consistently knock out a goal or two a game ... sometimes more.

On Steps line, I think we need to give Kreids more time. He's having similar problems to Nash in that his power moves are not working and his plentiful shots on goal are at the logo, but his 2-way play has been adequate and he has been in on 5 goals. One big game from him in the next 2 games and his pace will surpass last year's. I want to try Oscar on 2nd line RW because of his solid 5v5 play this year, his nose for the net/accurate shot, and his responsible 2 way play. He is far from perfect, but Fast isn't going to help propel that line to success and Miller has been dopey on D (though I love what he is CAPABLE of on O). In the long run, Miller may be the man, but I don't feel he has earned the right to play on Line #2 right now. Seeing Oscar get the nod over him and Fast might light a fire under Miller.

For my 3rd line, Hayes played a bit with Fast last year, and they performed well. Miller and Hayes are solid playmakers. Good things could happen with that line. Not a line any opponent should overlook.

4th line is just the leftovers by default. Etem can sub in for anyone at any time on that 4h line. Staalberg, Moore, Etem would be a very quick 4th line when Stoll sits out.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
After their success last game (and let's face it, we really needed a big performance from one of the top 2 lines), I say we leave N-B-Z alone for now. Don't care if Zuuc and Brass score all the goals if that line can consistently knock out a goal or two a game ... sometimes more.

On Steps line, I think we need to give Kreids more time. He's having similar problems to Nash in that his power moves are not working and his plentiful shots on goal are at the logo, but his 2-way play has been adequate and he has been in on 5 goals. One big game from him in the next 2 games and his pace will surpass last year's. I want to try Oscar on 2nd line RW because of his solid 5v5 play this year, his nose for the net/accurate shot, and his responsible 2 way play. He is far from perfect, but Fast isn't going to help propel that line to success and Miller has been dopey on D (though I love what he is CAPABLE of on O). In the long run, Miller may be the man, but I don't feel he has earned the right to play on Line #2 right now. Seeing Oscar get the nod over him and Fast might light a fire under Miller.

For my 3rd line, Hayes played a bit with Fast last year, and they performed well. Miller and Hayes are solid playmakers. Good things could happen with that line. Not a line any opponent should overlook.

4th line is just the leftovers by default. Etem can sub in for anyone at any time on that 4h line. Staalberg, Moore, Etem would be a very quick 4th line when Stoll sits out.

Well, Brassard and Zuccarello both had their 60 point season peaks thus far (hopefully they have yet to reach the summit of their peaks) but the current peaks and other season totals didn't see 20 goals from either player.

Both are natural playmakers. Brass has elite clapper, Zucc has a great wrister, but they naturally pass up shots in order to dish it. I don't see how you can depend on them for goals.

But I agree with your post, leave it alone for now see how it goes.#61 and #20 need to start carrying the goal scoring load though.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This is the first night this season the Rangers and Islanders are both home.

RIP everyone riding the LIRR home. That Isles fan exodus transfer at Jamaica is going to cause quite a ruckus on the already packed full of Rangers fans trains.

Good thing no one goes to Islanders games this year :sarcasm:

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

RIP everyone riding the LIRR home. That Isles fan exodus transfer at Jamaica is going to cause quite a ruckus on the already packed full of Rangers fans trains.

If you read the Tavares hyperbole on the main boards, you might come away thinking the traffic will be further compounded by a Tavares funeral procession. :sarcasm:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Caps are a good team for McIlrath to play against--big and very physical. Anyway hoping he has a really good game. I'd like to see him playing a lot more.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

May catch some Devils fans mixing it up with Ranger fans on NJ Transit too :laugh:

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
We need Mcilrath for this game you can't play the caps and not have a big physical guy playing. We've seen Barry Trotz playoff team on the for heck they're relentless against the body. Mcilrath can handle and make sure no one tries parking themselves infront of hank

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Oh yea... Icy Sticks... cool. (thanks, Mets) Um, the Rangers are looking just fine! 7-2-2 is a lot better than the other starts under AV or Torts. They have interchangeable pieces on the forwards and the pairs. AV has all the time in the world to figure out what's gonna work best.

New York - 3
Washington - 2

We're good at putting the Caps in their place when they think things are going well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad