Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Rangers - 7pmish

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
*Gently skipping past the 25 pages on Wilson*

Gutsy win by the guys, who've shown game-in game-out they step up from the top down when guys are out. To me that bodes well for the playoffs, because it shows they've got an extra gear when called upon.

Schultz coming back in as Carlson was held out, and then immediately back out when Carlson returned, makes me wonder if both guys have been banged up and they've been playing whichever has been the least hurt on any given day? Seems too coincidental otherwise. With TVR playing so well, there's no reason to hurry either of them.

Really liked what I saw from Raffl and Sprong that game. They give us some seriously useful options going down the stretch, and if a guy's out we can still field 12 NHLers who all deserve to be in.

The Kuzy/Sammy thing worries me. If it was one of them, you can explain it away – like that time Ovi forgot to set his alarm clock and missed a team meeting. But for it to be both of them there has to be more than simply lateness. This close to the playoffs, both of them should be tightening up their game and fighting for playing time, it seems difficult to rely on either for major playoff roles right now as things stand. Yikes.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
This is also why I dislike the circus around Tom Wilson because we should be discussing that this was a pretty dominant performance, all things considered. At 5-on-5 they owned 66% SF, 65% HDCF, and 71% (!) of XG. Pretty significant statement game against a team they've struggled against.

And Daniel Sprong... what a find he could turn out to be. GWG last night and he led the Caps with 6 SOG and 3 scoring changes. Does not look out of place at all playing in the top six. Still only 24 years old too.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Usually if there's not going to be a hearing she knows pretty quickly, so my guess is he's probably getting a hearing.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

Usually if there's not going to be a hearing she knows pretty quickly, so my guess is he's probably getting a hearing.

In fairness, I suspect this is one the DOPS lawyers will be weighing into as much as Parros, trying to determine if anything actually illegal happened from a suspension perspective. No news might not be the worst news, for a change.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
This is also why I dislike the circus around Tom Wilson because we should be discussing that this was a pretty dominant performance, all things considered. At 5-on-5 they owned 66% SF, 65% HDCF, and 71% (!) of XG. Pretty significant statement game against a team they've struggled against.

And Daniel Spring... what a find he could turn out to be. GWG last night and he led the Caps with 6 SOG and 3 scoring changes. Does not look out of place at all playing in the top six. Still only 24 years old too.

Yeah not to mention they did that with 10 forwards and missing Ovi, Oshie, Kuznetsov and Schultz (27 million worth of players). If Kuznetsov arent able to bring it in the playoffs this year his place on the team should be discussed. He have looked quite good for awhile now, but it seems like he doesnt care enough. The good thing is that it looks like we could miss any player on the team and the depth players step up.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

Gutsy win by the guys, who've shown game-in game-out they step up from the top down when guys are out. To me that bodes well for the playoffs, because it shows they've got an extra gear when called upon.

Schultz coming back in as Carlson was held out, and then immediately back out when Carlson returned, makes me wonder if both guys have been banged up and they've been playing whichever has been the least hurt on any given day? Seems too coincidental otherwise. With TVR playing so well, there's no reason to hurry either of them.

Really liked what I saw from Raffl and Sprong that game. They give us some seriously useful options going down the stretch, and if a guy's out we can still field 12 NHLers who all deserve to be in.

The Kuzy/Sammy thing worries me. If it was one of them, you can explain it away – like that time Ovi forgot to set his alarm clock and missed a team meeting. But for it to be both of them there has to be more than simply lateness. This close to the playoffs, both of them should be tightening up their game and fighting for playing time, it seems difficult to rely on either for major playoff roles right now as things stand. Yikes.

Yeah, multiple in-season disciplinary actions against one player who they've paid 30 million dollars, and another who came into the season needing to prove his focus is more than alarming.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Oh man TJ. Condolences to you and your family. Be Strong!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
In fairness, I suspect this is one the DOPS lawyers will be weighing into as much as Parros, trying to determine if anything actually illegal happened from a suspension perspective. No news might not be the worst news, for a change.

From a suspension perspective DoPS already admitted to suspending him without a rules based justification when they did the Totality of the circumstances thing. They came right out and said it

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
So reading the comments it seems like Ovechkin did not re-injure himself right? He just dressed because we were short, took a test shift and realized he wasn't 100%?

That was my understanding based on the post-game comments.

At this point they need to shut him down for the regular season. Even if he says he feels good just keep him out until the playoffs start.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

It certainly fits the evidence. Schultz didnt look right when he played. He was not that effective. He played because Carlson couldnt and he could.

I really liked Raffl. Sprong does what he does well. He has issues but he can produce numbers. What he cant do is Ov's office. That clearly doesnt fit his skill set.

Kuzy and Sammy. Kuzy knows better. Sammy has had too much trouble not to be very careful. I am increasingly worried about Samsonov's inability to speak any english. I can find a road to understand Kuzy if he was with Samsonov purely for translation and got messed up as a result. Its one of several possibilities. Its clear Kuzy isnt a leader and he isnt responsible. It takes me back to my original position that Kuznetsov is an artist and behaves like one

Reactions: HecticGlow

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That was my understanding based on the post-game comments.

At this point they need to shut him down for the regular season. Even if he says he feels good just keep him out until the playoffs start.

It would be better if he could play a game or two before. Waiting til the playoffs will effect his conditioning and his timing.

Reactions: Empty Goal Net

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It would be better if he could play a game or two before. Waiting til the playoffs will effect his conditioning and his timing.

I think it'd be much worse if he aggravates his injury and is out or at limited capacity as a result.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think it'd be much worse if he aggravates his injury and is out or at limited capacity as a result.

It would be better if he could play some. It would be worse if he were injured badly enough that he couldnt safely play some. Clearly playing less effectively in the first couple of playoff games would be better than not playing because of injury.

It would be better for his health, dont you think, if he could get 15 or 18 mins in the last game that doesnt count for much and get back in the swing of things than just dropping him into game 1 and him wanting to go 0 to 100% because the game counts?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think Ovie has played enough games that recovery is more important than getting up to game speed this late in the season.

Reactions: DWGie26 and txpd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad