Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Hurricanes - 12/20/13 7:00 PM - Caps Win 4-2

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think they don't want to trade any of the 3. trade one and see another injured and they are hosed.

You think they're that concerned about having to play their 3rd goalie right now? I don't see it but I guess maybe...

If someone came in with a decent offer for say 70 + 20/10/21.....would make things interesting.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
agree with this but neuvy is the only serious candidate to be dealt. the problem is i can't imagine much of a market. if grubs is going to be this good and they can move neuvy to free up some money, i'd be all for it.

How's a guy who's barely gotten any playing time, who's looked average at best in the time he HAS gotten, and has been hurt recently a serious candidate? I mean who wants him? Is the market for a mediocre recently injured goalie that strong?

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You think they're that concerned about having to play their 3rd goalie right now? I don't see it but I guess maybe...

If someone came in with a decent offer for say 70 + 20/10/21.....would make things interesting.

oh cmon, we are giving up on holtby after 5 games of grubs? if someone wanted neuvy plus one of those 3 then absolutely but holtby is still the future #1 for this franchise.

Burakovsky95*

anyone else think ovi's surpassing his career high 65 goals this season

I'd say he'd have a shot if there wasn't the Olympics but I'm pretty sure that grueling 2 weeks or so is going to drain him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
oh cmon, we are giving up on holtby after 5 games of grubs? if someone wanted neuvy plus one of those 3 then absolutely but holtby is still the future #1 for this franchise.

Just said it would make things interesting. You have to give good to get good. For a stud 2LD/winger combo I'd listen.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Sitting here rewatching the game. Damn Erat is exactly like I remember him in Nashville. So damn skilled and pleasing to the eye. Seems like he should produce much much more offense...dunno.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Yeah, Erat looks like a full package. Speedy, shifty, great puck control, strong on the puck, hard-working, but somehow he doesn't get it done. I hope Oates tries him on the 1st line one more time.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Grubs at the very least is showing that he certainly has high NHL potential, at least as a backup.

As to whether he can be #1, that takes a long time to prove -- you have to show that you can quickly bounce back from bad game(s) and maintain a level for a season.

But right now, IMO he's earned the starts until he cools off.. and should be a quicker option when Holtby cools off. Neuvirth -- yeah, unless one of the other guys runs into a wall, there's no real place for him.

I think Caps will wait a bit longer to see if Grubs is for real, and then Neuvy will be traded. I know it's the Caps and we like to carry extras, but in this case all 3 are young goalies that need playing time, so I doubt even the Caps can justify keeping all 3 if this continues.

Neuvy & Erat is a nice package. Doubt the McPhee will trade the leaderz, unfortunately.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Yeah, Erat looks like a full package. Speedy, shifty, great puck control, strong on the puck, hard-working, but somehow he doesn't get it done. I hope Oates tries him on the 1st line one more time.

I'm afraid his confidence is too low to recover his scoring touch without serious support from the coach (a game here or there will not be enough). And also Ovi & Backstrom are dysfunctional at ES, so it's another problem.

But maybe if MoJo has some sort of minor injury that keeps him out for a few games, it could work out for Erat.

However, judging from his comments, he is set on leaving. I don't think there's enough time to get his game going and mend fences. He's probably gone..

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I'm afraid his confidence is too low to recover his scoring touch without serious support from the coach (a game here or there will not be enough). And also Ovi & Backstrom are dysfunctional at ES, so it's another problem.

But maybe if MoJo has some sort of minor injury that keeps him out for a few games, it could work out for Erat.

However, judging from his comments, he is set on leaving. I don't think there's enough time to get his game going and mend fences. He's probably gone..

I still think it's worth the try to get him untracked. Nobody really thinks he's interested in staying to he needs to get going to earn a better contract. If he can settle that 1st line down a bit defensively then I'm fine with that.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I think if the object is to get him on track then they should play him at right wing, his natural position.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
agree with this but neuvy is the only serious candidate to be dealt. the problem is i can't imagine much of a market. if grubs is going to be this good and they can move neuvy to free up some money, i'd be all for it.

are you sure? if they give neuvirth away and holtby gets hurt, are you really all for the caps going into the playoffs with only a bone rookie and a waiver wire backup goalie?

it think it makes more sense to keep all three even if that means sending grubeaur back to hershey

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Time to wait for Holtby to wet the bed again tomorrow... then we'll REALLY see a controversy.

Buckle up, boys.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Time to wait for Holtby to wet the bed again tomorrow... then we'll REALLY see a controversy.

Buckle up, boys.

Holtby is not established well enough in the league for it to be a controversy -- just young goalies vying for the spot. Varly and Neuvy, Neuvy and Holtby, Holtby and Grubs, it is the circle of life... :)

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Holtby is not established well enough in the league for it to be a controversy -- just young goalies vying for the spot. Varly and Neuvy, Neuvy and Holtby, Holtby and Grubs, it is the circle of life... :)

That's my take on it... but everyone else sees him as the de facto #1 it seems.

Frankly, I like how someone is pushing him for the job. Competition brings out the best in everyone.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I will say Neuvirth had a decent game in Hershey on his conditioning stint against a good offensive minded team in Binghamton. Grubauer will most likely cool off at some point. My guess is that Oates rides him until he has one bad game and sends him back to Hershey. Makes the most sense considering he can pass through waivers

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I will say Neuvirth had a decent game in Hershey on his conditioning stint against a good offensive minded team in Binghamton. Grubauer will most likely cool off at some point. My guess is that Oates rides him until he has one bad game and sends him back to Hershey. Makes the most sense considering he can pass through waivers

Nothing Oates does makes sense. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad