Capitals History Pt. 1 (former players & coaches, past seasons, etc.)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Playing a two-way game, I thought Semin looked great under Hunter, but he was neutered offensively.

His critics want that effort AND the world class offense we all know he can generate.

You say the grinders are jealous? More likely the most willing to give an honest answer even if it's not the popular one.

44 points in 55 games, not too bad. He would've led the team in scoring if he was scoring at that pace in the 22 games before Hunter was hired.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
You don't think enough hockey experts and longtime hockey fans can tell the difference in "effortless" and "not trying hard"? Sure he was upset after a playoff loss. He's human. I bet his teammates wished he gave a damn the other 364 days a year.

As Marshall said in another post, Semin's practice habits were questioned in DC.
People thought Ovi turned up to training camp fat, floats when he doesn't have the puck, and questioned his fitness too, better ship him out because he's not being a good influence for the young guys who have no internal ambition, drive, or personal accountability/responsibility. With the extra ES and PP time a good ol hard working canadian boy like Laich will pick up the slack and effort us to victory in a way no Russian ever could. It's always about being worth the money so that would also create room in the crowded Top 6 for Laich to put his paycheck where his mouth is. No GM or expert could ever have an incorrect analysis and hand out a bad contract, right? They know better, facts are facts, if we plebeians knew about the game we'd be in it.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
What's this Canadian vs. Russian codswallop?

Again, we have it from three different first hand sources that Semin was a locker room problem, regardless of his nationality.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
People thought Ovi turned up to training camp fat, floats when he doesn't have the puck, and questioned his fitness too, better ship him out because he's not being a good influence for the young guys who have no internal ambition, drive, or personal accountability/responsibility. With the extra ES and PP time a good ol hard working canadian boy like Laich will pick up the slack and effort us to victory in a way no Russian ever could. It's always about being worth the money so that would also create room in the crowded Top 6 for Laich to put his paycheck where his mouth is. No GM or expert could ever have an incorrect analysis and hand out a bad contract, right? They know better, facts are facts, if we plebeians knew about the game we'd be in it.

Ovy has shown up to camp in less than optimal shape, and has floated before. So what. I've always said I would never trade him if I owned the team. The Canadian vs Russian thing is a weak attempt to deflect. hard to refute multiple teammates dishing.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
No offense, you get how MONEY works right? A cash-strapped team just paid MILLIONS to make a player leave. That's saving some $ sure, but it's burning a ton still for NO RETURN at all.

It's not like the Canes WANTED to waste millions and buy him out. I'm sure they'd have much preferred if he was playing well and earning his money. It's always about being worth the $ or not. When you're a questionable co-worker, injury-prone, AND lazy, you don't stay employed long.

You diehard Semin fans can spin and twist the story all you like. Doesn't change the facts.

Dude....

We aren't die hard Semin fans. Least I'm not. Hardly. I was happy he left when his salary hit stupid numbers -- 7m!! Dumb numbers. Really dumb.

But for gods sakes, I'm not some blinders on Semin hater either..... Pragmatism allows one to see the good, and the bad.

The emotional Caps fan hates Semin, why.... I can get a little bit. But Semin at 1.1m could have helped this club. Especially as ****tsburgh continues to load up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
We should all believe the fantasy you're spinning? That Semin had a multitude of offers for much longer term and higher AAV and what...chose Montreal's offer because he loves the Canadian Northeast in winter because it reminds him of Siberia?

Come on Rids....

As you have claimed many times, Semin is making w lot of money to leave Carolina.

So your hypothesis is he couldn't get another money grab somewhere and had to settle w one of the top 2-3 teams in the East (and THE hockey Mecca) for scraps because that's "all he could get".

Sure.

Or maybe he wanted a chance to play for a top team in the spotlight as an opportunity to rejuvenate his career??

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
What's this Canadian vs. Russian codswallop?

Again, we have it from three different first hand sources that Semin was a locker room problem, regardless of his nationality.

That's not what they said, such revisionist history.

Read my earlier post on this please. I have said enough on this topic a few posts ago, on the last page. No need to repost myself.

Last edited:

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Semin is a guy who attracts weird myths and assumptions around here. How many times has HF collectively concluded that Semin is KHL-bound after his contract expires? Hell, most of HF still thinks he's a defensive liability.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Semin is a guy who attracts weird myths and assumptions around here. How many times has HF collectively concluded that Semin is KHL-bound after his contract expires? Hell, most of HF still thinks he's a defensive liability.

and a LOCKER ROOM CANCER. Woe to the team that signs him..... Plague, misery, death, and eternity in hell is to follow.:sarcasm:

LOL, or something

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
So you've just decided to ignore the words of his former teammates and make whatever assumptions about his impact on the lockerroom that fit your narrative?

Doesn't make for the most convincing or reasonable argument...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Dude....

We aren't die hard Semin fans. Least I'm not. Hardly. I was happy he left when his salary hit stupid numbers -- 7m!! Dumb numbers. Really dumb.

But for gods sakes, I'm not some blinders on Semin hater either..... Pragmatism allows one to see the good, and the bad.

The emotional Caps fan hates Semin, why.... I can get a little bit. But Semin at 1.1m could have helped this club. Especially as ****tsburgh continues to load up.
I rooted for the guy while he was a Cap. You're so far off it's absurd. Truth hurts.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
As you have claimed many times, Semin is making w lot of money to leave Carolina.

So your hypothesis is he couldn't get another money grab somewhere and had to settle w one of the top 2-3 teams in the East (and THE hockey Mecca) for scraps because that's "all he could get".

Sure.

Or maybe he wanted a chance to play for a top team in the spotlight as an opportunity to rejuvenate his career??

Keep grasping. I'm sure he turned down tons of bigger offers. :shakehead. I'm sure he had 2-3 bottom dollar offers, nothing substantial and decided to roll the dice with the most talented team he thought he could latch onto to parlay his last chance of a multi-year deal...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Keep the comments on topic and don't derail the thread with personal disputes. No personal jabs, including veiled, backdoor insults or generalizations. Those are also prohibited by rule.

Too much editing taking up too much time, so if it keeps up, your post is getting deleted, not pruned.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So I guess we can talk aboutF16 on this thread now? I'm going to miss that dude and the fact that it's Pitt really pissesme off

Many thought losing Semin, Ribs, Grabo, etc would jump up and bite us in key games but they never did. Fehr is a guy that seems more the type.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Fehr was another favorite of mine. Sucks he's with Pittsburgh.

It makes sense, though. Caps and Pens were the teams that would value him the most. Caps due to familiarity on the plus side and Pens on the other, he's beaten them up so much. Kind of the opposite of the Jagr deal.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This thread is now stickified so it doesn't get buried.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It will be interesting to see the guy we got instead of Getzlaf trying his damnedest to become a Caps killer.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
So you've just decided to ignore the words of his former teammates and make whatever assumptions about his impact on the lockerroom that fit your narrative?

Doesn't make for the most convincing or reasonable argument...

I didn't ignore anything. What part of my post ignores what former teammates said? I directly addressed their comments. See post #555 in this thread.

You guys that are calling him a cancer and a bad teammate are using hyperbole to bolster your negative position. My position is neither positive or negative. It's simply that Semin at 1.1m is a good risk, and one I wish the team had taken (in a salary cap world, these are the types of risks you need to take....akin to Laich at 4.5m, on the other side of the spectrum)

Obviously, you and others don't agree, as Semin at any cost isn't a risk you'd take. Well, we look at building teams differently. There is no crime in that, but your narrative is as one sided as anyone's.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Semin will wear #13 for the Habs, it looks weird on him. He will always be #28 to me.

#28 was unavailable (Nathan Beaulieu), as was #32 which he wore with team Russia (Brian Flynn)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad