Confirmed with Link: Capitals hire Kevin McCarthy to coach defense. Rest of coaching staff stays

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Didn't they say he wasn't going to be coming over to Washington? Here's to hoping he does a better job with the defense than Reid Cashman did.

Sep 19, 2008
Didn't they say he wasn't going to be coming over to Washington? Here's to hoping he does a better job with the defense than Reid Cashman did.
They was Tarik who suggested in an Athletic article that it was unlikely he would come over. There wasn't really any reason for him not to as he had worked with Laviolette before including Nashville (other than retirement of course). Glad Laviolette was able to talk him into returning.

The other mainstays are fine. I know Blaine has gotten heat from the Caps fanbase for lackluster power play, and hope that it improves in 2021.

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
I thought that it was reported that he was retiring? How does Forsythe survive yet another regime change behind the bench?

Sep 19, 2008
I'm just glad we were able to talk him out of retiring. He's a good coach with defensemen. Laviolette's job would have been tougher if he weren't around to help.

Reactions: foundhockey

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
tenor.gif

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Nashville knows defensemen. Works for me.
Pretty sure he coached the forwards in Nashville but, still, super experienced and a proven foil for Laviolette over the years. He's coached Pronger (both earlier and later in his career) and Paul Coffey later in his career. A really needed experienced hire for the blueline.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Pretty sure he coached the forwards in Nashville but, still, super experienced and a proven foil for Laviolette over the years. He's coached Pronger (both earlier and later in his career) and Paul Coffey later in his career. A really needed experienced hire for the blueline.
Exactly.

I do wonder if Lavy truly was able to decide who stayed or not. Would think so, but don’t know the dynamics. Murray and Forsythe both seemed like options who could’ve been replaced/upgraded.

But I’m not in the room

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Not happy about Forsythe. How does he still have a job? New leadership for the D makes sense. The PP needs the same. Maybe Forsythe will be in charge of mask wearing and taping of sticks, because if he is in charge of the PP again, I don't have much hope if will be revitalized.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Nashville's PP was an issue during PL's tenure. It ranked 28th in the league over that span and I believe McCarthy mostly ran it. Despite Washington's more recent lack of success, Forsythe does bring a better track record. Ideally PL can maybe tweak it for the better but we'll see. I think the hope has to be that more vigorous 5-on-5 play leads to better involvement and general offensive execution in all facets. I don't know that it's just tactics at issue. Intensity often was just as problematic, be it passing, retrievals or entries.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is speculation based on evidence. Ive said recently. The brain debris from the exploding heads over Forsythe is epic.

How does he still have a job going thru all these different head coaches? Simple logic says 2 things.

1. He provides something that all the head coaches needed that is hard to come by,
2. He carries little responsibility for the systems and decisions that the team calls. Meaning that he is not calling or developing the sling shot that you hate so much. He is not screwing up. He does what he is told.

I am just taking a wild guess that he is one of the best video prep coaches in the league or is a technical wiz that they cant replace. I am guessing that everyone likes him. Its not in anyone's agenda to find a way to get rid of him.

So, to recap. The reason he still works there is....

Everyone likes him.
He doesnt threaten anyone.
If he doesnt threaten anyone his place in the hierarchy is low and he doesnt call the shots.
He is a can do guy that does bits and pieces of everyone's job. He's not important. He's not in charge of anything

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
This is speculation based on evidence. Ive said recently. The brain debris from the exploding heads over Forsythe is epic.

How does he still have a job going thru all these different head coaches? Simple logic says 2 things.

1. He provides something that all the head coaches needed that is hard to come by,
2. He carries little responsibility for the systems and decisions that the team calls. Meaning that he is not calling or developing the sling shot that you hate so much. He is not screwing up. He does what he is told.

I am just taking a wild guess that he is one of the best video prep coaches in the league or is a technical wiz that they cant replace. I am guessing that everyone likes him. Its not in anyone's agenda to find a way to get rid of him.

So, to recap. The reason he still works there is....

Everyone likes him.
He doesnt threaten anyone.
If he doesnt threaten anyone his place in the hierarchy is low and he doesnt call the shots.
He is a can do guy that does bits and pieces of everyone's job. He's not important. He's not in charge of anything
Smart words here. But who is really responsible for the PP mess in this case?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Smart words here. But who is really responsible for the PP mess in this case?

Reirden. My guess is that the players have a piece in it either directly or indirectly. The Capitals have the best power play shooter/1 time shooter in the NHL. They have arguably the best power play passer in the NHL. They have one of the best if not the best power play defensemen in the NHL.

What changes do you see that can be made to that power play without giving away your best assets? I see lots of suggestions where the Caps walk away from their thing and go with more pp2. Ive seen moving Ov someplace where his shot is no longer a tool.

I know of 1 idea that makes an adjustment without breaking down the essential value of the group of players. Kuznetsov out and Wilson in and go with 2 players in front of the net. But that makes covering the shot from Carlson and Ov easier and you can over Oshie and Wilson with one player.

What have you got?

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Reirden. My guess is that the players have a piece in it either directly or indirectly. The Capitals have the best power play shooter/1 time shooter in the NHL. They have arguably the best power play passer in the NHL. They have one of the best if not the best power play defensemen in the NHL.

What changes do you see that can be made to that power play without giving away your best assets? I see lots of suggestions where the Caps walk away from their thing and go with more pp2. Ive seen moving Ov someplace where his shot is no longer a tool.

I know of 1 idea that makes an adjustment without breaking down the essential value of the group of players. Kuznetsov out and Wilson in and go with 2 players in front of the net. But that makes covering the shot from Carlson and Ov easier and you can over Oshie and Wilson with one player.

What have you got?

What I see from the stats point of view is that Ovechkin shoots much less on PP now. He do the same thing as he always do and he is a deadly goal scorer. But the four guys around him were unable to provide this season as much shoot and score opportunities as we had before.

SeasonOvechkins 5v4 PP Shots/60
2013/1420.81
2014/1525.74
2015/1623.6
2016/1719.53
2017/1819.88
2018/1919.29
2019/2016.13
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
You are toxic
LOL. Lighten up, Francis.

For someone that so enjoys saying provocative things, I’d have thought you could weather a little tongue in cheek ribbing. As David Letterman was famous to say “it’s just a joke.....it’s JUST a joke!”

Sorry man.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad