Pre-Game Talk: Capitals Clinch Playoff Berth, who would you rather play?

Who would you rather play in round 1?

• Hurricanes

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Rangers

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Panthers

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Never have a preference. You have to assume you'll need to beat the best. Why would you want anything less?

Look at MTL last year. Anyone give them a chance of going deep?

Put me down for "don't care".

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I refuse to vote….if you want some…

1650306467779.gif

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I don't care. We will need to play better and more consistent to beat any of those teams. Basically its on them, the opponent isn't going to matter if we aren't playing better.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Hey there. Don’t blame me for putting a roster together where VV and Sammy are their only options. That falls on the shoulders of management.

Win as a team, lose as a team
Pull together for your team

VV and Sammy are NHL goalies and they're not horrible.
They're not Top-10, but they're not scrubs

Maybe Playoffs will get them to focus on details and rise to the occasion
We don't know until the games get played

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
There's positive thinking and then there's denial.
Bullshit.
Perfect example just happened tonight
@SecretaryofDefense5

If you watched tonight's game and see how they played as a team, playing hard for each other, good defense, blocking shots
If that happens in the Playoffs they can beat anyone.
Anyone.

I don't buy into Hive mind thinking or group think or the all-too-prevalent miserable whining that b/c we're not icing an All-Star team out there that there's no chance

We just went into the best Team in the Leagues' house, with an unreal home record, on a 9 game W streak and T.C.O.B.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Bullshit.
Perfect example just happened tonight
@SecretaryofDefense5

If you watched tonight's game and see how they played as a team, playing hard for each other, good defense, blocking shots
If that happens in the Playoffs they can beat anyone.
Anyone.

I don't buy into Hive mind thinking or group think or the all-too-prevalent miserable whining that b/c we're not icing an All-Star team out there that there's no chance

We just went into the best Team in the Leagues' house, with an unreal home record, on a 9 game W streak and T.C.O.B.

It's easy to be a "realist" in one's own mind when it's really just default pessimism. Since one team wins the Cup every year it's much safer and easier to say "they're not going to win it", and then "atodaso" after elimination. The odds always favor the pessimist when picking your team to win or lose it all. It's not a sign of superior hockey intellect.

"Denial" is more likely to describe refusal to accept something that's already happened, or is impossible. The playoffs are in the future and as we know almost anything is possible.

So yeah. F the whining.

letterkenny-in.gif

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I like their matchup against Carolina, Florida, and NYR better than Boston OR NYI the last 2 playoffs, so that’s a start.

Florida’s skill could be overwhelming but so could Carolina’s speed and forecheck, or NYR’s PP and goaltending.

I think they can beat any of the 3 but if push comes to shove, I’m taking NYR due to their over reliance on goaltending and PP so far this year. I like the way our forwards match up against theirs as well. And while Fox is amazing, I don’t know how he’s going to hold up in a series being hit by Wilson, Ovechkin, Hathaway, etc. and the rest of their D isn’t too impressive. They definitely have been better since the TDL, but they’re still clearly the worst 5v5 team of the 3.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I still think they're probably two skaters short, one up front and one on the back-end. Schultz has the worst +/- among any EC playoff team and the awkwardness of TVR on his off-side isn't ideal. Then again, neither was Djoos but I'm not sure they can hide players as well as they used to.

Johansson/Sheary/Larsson came through last night but in light of Backstrom's decline they likely need one more consistently dangerous attacking forward. They're going to be a handful for anyone, at least physically if they can manage to make it a longer series, but the biggest question still seems to be whether they can manage to produce more dangerous chances while they're controlling play.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I still think they're probably two skaters short, one up front and one on the back-end. Schultz has the worst +/- among any EC playoff team and the awkwardness of TVR on his off-side isn't ideal. Then again, neither was Djoos but I'm not sure they can hide players as well as they used to.

Johansson/Sheary/Larsson came through last night but in light of Backstrom's decline they likely need one more consistently dangerous attacking forward. They're going to be a handful for anyone, at least physically if they can manage to make it a longer series, but the biggest question still seems to be whether they can manage to produce more dangerous chances while they're controlling play.
I agree about the forwards (and think inserting CMM for Mojo could help).

But in regards to Schultz, I think he’s actually been perfectly fine as a 5/6D. The stats don’t show it, but in my eyes, I think he’s been a lot better than last year. His xG% is nearly 51%, but he’s been killed by a low SH and SV%. I’d be interested to see his JFresh/Evolving Wild player card because according to the Athletic, he’s been roughy worth his salary this year. Now, I think they could use that cap space more effectively than spending 4mil on him, but I think his performance for his role has been fine.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I agree about the forwards (and think inserting CMM for Mojo could help).

But in regards to Schultz, I think he’s actually been perfectly fine as a 5/6D. The stats don’t show it, but in my eyes, I think he’s been a lot better than last year. His xG% is nearly 51%, but he’s been killed by a low SH and SV%. I’d be interested to see his JFresh/Evolving Wild player card because according to the Athletic, he’s been roughy worth his salary this year. Now, I think they could use that cap space more effectively than spending 4mil on him, but I think his performance for his role has been fine.
CMM is not just very good at wing…..he’s impactful at C at least…

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Carolina is ripe to get picked off.

Florida might be a paper tiger.

Shesterkin bothers me and the Caps never match up well against the Rangers.

Want no part of Toronto.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Schultz has the worst +/- among any EC playoff team and the awkwardness of TVR on his off-side isn't ideal.

I've been curious about the same thing. I'm wondering -- and you Hershey experts can help me out here -- if one of our LD prospects along with TVR on his strong side might be a better pair than TVR/Schultz. When I look at the things Schultz still does well, they mostly line up with TVR's strengths, so there might be some redundancy there, and I'm not sure that TVR at 3RD isn't an upgrade all by itself. It's just a question of whether we have a 3LD on the farm that could perform as well as TVR does in that spot now...

Johansson/Sheary/Larsson came through last night but in light of Backstrom's decline they likely need one more consistently dangerous attacking forward.

Eller has been looking much better lately, but I'd be interested to see if McMichael centering Mantha/Wilson might click more offensively. Their speed, finish, and size (and Wilson's physicality) could open things up more for McMike to get the creativity he's been known for prior to the NHL back into his game. Not sure where Eller might fit in that scenario, but I'd use some of these last few games to figure it out.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Agree with much of what you're saying. And love the positivity. I'll get onboard that train - will enjoy the playoffs regardless of the outcome (setting expectations early).

The young, fast teams are what really worry me about the Caps. I just can't see how our team can handle them. In the past they would use physicality but our current team seems to have lost that edge? I could swear it just vanished into thin air. They were always talked about as a big, physical team who would wear down opponents and then they.....just............weren't?

I think that capacity is still there. Getting rid of Chara, Dillom, Gudas etc made our D-corps a lot softer but more mobile. However Wilson, Hathaway, Eller, Dowd and Oshie are still pretty grindy. Added to that both Ovi and Mantha can be very physically imposing when they want to and from what i hear Larsson can be pretty nasty too.

But yeah, at least one Orpik type D-man would have been nice to have

Reactions: PlushMinus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: