Pre-Game Talk: Capitals Clinch Playoff Berth, who would you rather play?

Who would you rather play in round 1?

• Hurricanes

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Rangers

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Panthers

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So, Capitals have clinched with the Leafs beating Islanders. So, who would you rather the Capitals play?

It's pretty much impossible for them to play Tampa, Boston, Pittsburgh or Toronto in round 1 so I left those choices off.

Reactions: Neil Racki

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I voted Florida, mainly because I want to see a new matchup and I think their goaltending seems to be most likely to crap the bed.

I would have said NYR before the TDL but they made legitimate improvements and are playing extremely well right now.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Panthers:

1. They are the most unfamiliar with the Caps since we don't play them as often. It might also be easier for us to progress through the Atlantic bracket playing teams that don't face the Caps as often as Metro teams if we manage to defeat Florida.
2. If we lose, I would rather lose to a team that goes on to win the Stanley Cup, and there's a good chance that they are the future champions.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'll say Rangers, mainly because it means they finish relatively strong and nab the third spot in the Metro.

I don't think you really want them facing two of the top three offenses in the first two rounds. Either that or the top offense then the two-time Cup champs. Much more favorable to stay in the Metro and take their chances. Then again, I'm not sure I buy them shutting anyone down so if it's going to be goalfest let's just make it a Goalfest. So, yeah, it doesn't really matter.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Id say Carolina because it likely means we finish strong and they slip to 2nd. They also take a lot of penalties and maybe a really good powerplay from the Caps comes up big.

Florida is quite scary. It would be over quick and they would score like 28 goals in 4 games. I would like to avoid that. At least we have mostly matched them offensively in games against them. High scoring One goal wins / losses

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I voted Carolina for same reason as @pman25. But honestly, I don’t really care. We are in and that is all that matters.

We won presidents trophies and got bounced. Same happened to TB 3 years ago. Anything can happen.

When you wipe away all of the negativity from these boards, and understand we have the 4th best winning % since March 1. We have been strong the last 10 games including several quality wins and two blowout wins (albeit against non-playoff teams). We are as healthy as we have been all year. We have tremendous depth should we need it. We have a great coach who has won cups and taken three to the finals. We have a veteran team who knows how to succeed in the playoffs. Special teams are clicking. And for once we are playing well heading into the playoffs versus faltering because we have been one of the top teams and got complacent.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I voted Carolina for same reason as @pman25. But honestly, I don’t really care. We are in and that is all that matters.

We won presidents trophies and got bounced. Same happened to TB 3 years ago. Anything can happen.

When you wipe away all of the negativity from these boards, and understand we have the 4th best winning % since March 1. We have been strong the last 10 games including several quality wins and two blowout wins (albeit against non-playoff teams). We are as healthy as we have been all year. We have tremendous depth should we need it. We have a great coach who has won cups and taken three to the finals. We have a veteran team who knows how to succeed in the playoffs. Special teams are clicking. And for once we are playing well heading into the playoffs versus faltering because we have been one of the top teams and got complacent.
Agree with much of what you're saying. And love the positivity. I'll get onboard that train - will enjoy the playoffs regardless of the outcome (setting expectations early).

The young, fast teams are what really worry me about the Caps. I just can't see how our team can handle them. In the past they would use physicality but our current team seems to have lost that edge? I could swear it just vanished into thin air. They were always talked about as a big, physical team who would wear down opponents and then they.....just............weren't?

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Carolina absolutely terrifies me. They've got good speed, physicality, skill, very strong offense and defense, they agitate well and get other teams off their game. As of now they've allowed the fewest goals I'm the league, and are top 10 in goals for. Well rounded.

Andersen was one of the best goalies in the league this year, but if he's still injured for the first round weakens them a fair bit.

I think I'll vote Florida, I like our matchup against them. Our F vs their D and Bobrovsky.

paramo

Oct 15, 2020
Voted Carolina who seem to be struggling with different aspects (especially goaltending). But I hope the team isn't focusing on getting the "right" opponent, too many things can happen to have it come back and bite you. Rest the players that need to rest before the playoffs.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Jinx thread - I want to play not-the-Lightning, and that appears all but certain. So yea. Every other team has flaws (and we may have too many), but no one else in the East has the pedigree and confidence the Bolts. They’re the team least likely to let doubt creep in upon meeting adversity, which makes them the hardest to beat IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad