Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Blue Jackets | 11/12/21 | 7:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Here’s nine words I didn’t expect to type in this or any other lifetime — Nick Jensen has the best plus-minus in NHL (+15).

I realize the season is young and it’s a disfavored stat nowadays. But it also happens to line up with what we’re all seeing in the games — he is playing really smart, effective, aggressive hockey. He’s killing it.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Here’s nine words I didn’t expect to type in this or any other lifetime — Nick Jensen has the best plus-minus in NHL (+15).

I realize the season is young and it’s a disfavored stat nowadays. But it also happens to line up with what we’re all seeing in the games — he is playing really smart, effective, aggressive hockey. He’s killing it.

I feel like all three D pairings are playing well in part because they are matched well. Having Fehervary step right and cement his spot next to Carlson has been huge. There’s been no need to tinker and shuffle. No need to play TVR or Schultz out of their comfort zones. Most of us thought TVR would play well, but he and MF have been the two best surprises this year. Doesn’t hurt that Orlov and Jensen both seem to be better than ever.

Great D all around - once Carlson finds his game they will really be scary. That misplay on Kuraly was bad bad bad.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
I think the real argument is AJF over Hagelin.

I've been neutral on AFJ, but am now quite impressed. He very well be able the new Hags - but may be even better in time. I now suspect he will develop the ability to finish plays at the NHL level, which has always been Hags weakness, and possibly AFJ could develop that skill pretty quickly.

Reactions: koalabear9301

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
First of all. Ovi:bow:

Then, a nice win in regulation against a division rival on the road.
And the GWG with less than 90 seconds that's perfect.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

This. There are times when a +/- is misleading, such as the legendary "Plus Fifty/Mr Nasty Jeff Schultz". My Nick Jensen leading the NHL in +/- is totally unsurprising to anyone who has watched him all year. He's playing the best hockey of his life and he's on a ridiculous $2.5M contract right now. I literally cannot recall the last time he blew a play on D and it lead to a goal. With Carlson its a nightly occurrence.

Reactions: crab

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I've been neutral on AFJ, but am now quite impressed. He very well be able the new Hags - but may be even better in time. I now suspect he will develop the ability to finish plays at the NHL level, which has always been Hags weakness, and possibly AFJ could develop that skill pretty quickly.

The fact that we waived him a month ago is now kinda head scratching. I definitely want to see more of him on the Caps (I don't get to watch Hershey). But he brings an energy and speed that this team sorely needed more of. All the kids need more time to find their NHL scoring touch and if they get it, this team could become dangerous.

Reactions: Corby78

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
The fact that we waived him a month ago is now kinda head scratching. I definitely want to see more of him on the Caps (I don't get to watch Hershey). But he brings an energy and speed that this team sorely needed more of. All the kids need more time to find their NHL scoring touch and if they get it, this team could become dangerous.
He's developed into a constant scoring threat every time he's on the ice in Hershey this season. In fact more so than I ever thought he could achieve by watching him in the AHL in years prior. That pass to Hathaway last night was something I'd have laughed at if someone showed me the video and asked me if AJF could do that a few years ago. He's going to exceed expectations if he can get regular minutes and a roster spot.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I thought Samsonov looked like garbage. He was flailing all over the place and giving up big rebounds.

The contrast to Fucale for the past two days - which is way too small of a sample obviously - is stark.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I thought Samsonov looked like garbage. He was flailing all over the place and giving up big rebounds.

The contrast to Fucale for the past two days - which is way too small of a sample obviously - is stark.
Contrast the defensive play sample as well. Caps were an iron wall in front of Fucale for 5/6th of the Detroit game, and he even repeatedly praised them for blocking shots and shutting down lanes during the 5on3 PK. Fucale never really had to deal with lateral movement in front of his net.
Caps defense was being torn apart for most of the CBJ game. All three goals against were blown by the defense, including two breakaways in a 22 second span. CBJ had more high danger scoring opportunities in the first 2 periods than Fucale had to face all game the night before. The Blue Jackets were generating chances from the slot and crease area with lateral speed and puck movement. They were getting odd man breaks. Detroit simply wasn’t.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Contrast the defensive play sample as well. Caps were an iron wall in front of Fucale for 5/6th of the Detroit game, and he even repeatedly praised them for blocking shots and shutting down lanes during the 5on3 PK. Fucale never really had to deal with lateral movement in front of his net.
Caps defense was being torn apart for most of the CBJ game. All three goals against were blown by the defense, including two breakaways in a 22 second span. CBJ had more high danger scoring opportunities in the first 2 periods than Fucale had to face all game the night before. The Blue Jackets were generating chances from the slot and crease area with lateral speed and puck movement. They were getting odd man breaks. Detroit simply wasn’t.
You can talk until to you are blue in the face but Sammy ain’t it. He rarely looks comfortable in net and his lateral movement is always over exaggerated. He is athletic but that is about all he has going for him.

I would rather give Fucale have a chance. Sammy has had his and beyond his performance on the ice he has shown a lack of professionalism.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Yes - that's a fair point. The defense was far better against Detroit. John Carlson got owned in this game for one of the goals. The others also were not on Samsonov.

But I'm not just talking about the goals scored. Samsonov looked real shaky in many instances. He gave up big rebounds and it was really just luck that several of them didn't wind up in the net. He was making big stops but completely taking himself out of the net in doing so.

I still like what I saw from Fucale. He had an economy of motion and unflappableness that was reminiscent of young Holtby IMO. I think dude is worth another look and I hope they give him one.

Samsonov and Vanacek have done nothing to secure themselves against a challenger, and the Caps would be wise to consider alternatives (and they are). -That's all I'm saying.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Do we need to start giving some props and huzzahs to Ross Mahoney. Apparently, unbeknownst to even the Caps until recently, he spotted a lot of guys who can play in the NHL

Mahoney deserves a lot of credit, but I think ever since Hershey had that coaching staff turnover from Mann to Carbery (and now Allen) in 2018, Hershey has been a hotbed of player development and it shows with the Bear's ascension back into a top tier AHL team the last 3 years.

So many kids that have gone through Hershey now play good smart hockey.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Just finished watching the game. I can see why people are so excited about AJF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad