Pre-Game Talk: Capitals 2018 trade deadline thread (Bob Mckenzie says caps in on notable defenders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Except our stars, other than Ovie, haven’t been on their game all year.

Meanwhile, what do folks think of Zebanijad? I've liked what I've seen of his game with otherwise terrible Rags this year.

Doesn't mean they won't be on their game in 2-3 months. Kuzy hasn't been bad at all, he's quietly on pace for 80 points this year.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
This trade deadline will have the Vegas effect. All of the contending teams are down a second liner because of the moronic draft rules. And Vegas who was suppose to suck and trade all their players for futures are the presidents winner. Good job Betteman

right, god forbid an expansion franchise do well and build a fan base.

GMGM made great moves and a lot of GMs made stupid moves, including GMBM. Get over it.

Reactions: calicapsfan

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Normally agree with you but I hate that deal. No way am I trading three first round picks for Oscar Klefbom and half a season of Patrick Maroon.

Klefbom is 24 years old and was a first round pick himself, and the Capitals would be lucky if Johansen or Siegenthaler ever get to his level. Admittedly I'm higher on Klefbom than most but I really think he's a capable first pairing defenseman on a contender and given Washington's window to compete I'd be willing to give up quite a bit for him. Obviously the proposal I mentioned shouldn't be GMBM's first volley, but if that's what it came to I'd be okay with it.

As has been pointed out many times, the biggest TDL addition for the Capitals will be to have their top players playing like top players. But even if they do they still have that glaring hole in the top 4. I'd much rather they aggressively pursue a top 4 D who will improve the team substantially than spend assets acquiring Mike Green who will be a marginal upgrade.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

GMGM made great moves and a lot of GMs made stupid moves, including GMBM. Get over it.
Totally agree. I think Vegas' success is good for the game and the league. Still hate Makfi tho.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

This just in....expansion franchises don’t need to win to build their fan base early on. Doesn’t hurt other than not being able to draft higher and being more likely to get a few real franchise cornerstone players.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
This just in....expansion franchises don’t need to win to build their fan base early on. Doesn’t hurt other than not being able to draft higher and being more likely to get a few real franchise cornerstone players.

This isn't an expansion team in Toronto it's Vegas, it could crash and burn quite easily, so yes early success is very helpful.

And Franchise players aren't needed in Vegas right now, somehow they are 2nd in the NHL without one. This is hockey not basketball, franchise players don't mean nearly as much.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Crash and burn? Did you see the corporations lining up to commit 3-10 years to purchase tickets?

Crash and burn....HAH. FAKE NEWS.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Sure. But that's just hope. And Kuzy has been OK. He's getting points but too may nights he's pretty invisible.

There is absolutely nothing that we can do to compensate for one of our star players underperforming. The only thing that can compensate is Ovi or Holtby going beast mode in the playoffs. Neither has happened in a while now.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
No, not that. I disagree when you say that OEL is bad defensively and that Domi had a lucky season last year. Neither is true IMO.

Ideally, we need help everywhere, our roster has lots of holes. I agree that a shutdown D would be a priority but if we can't get one, a little scoring depth doesn't hurt either.
OEL is not a great defensive player. I didnt say he was bad. But we need someone better in our end.
And Domi I never thought much of his game. I dont think he would give us what we need.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
That's expected. He's progressing but opponents in playoffs will show another level of play. This happens every year.
Bowey will be much more ready next Spring.
I know. Which is why we need ton add a shutdown dman. Problem is I dont think Djoos is ready either. I'm guessing if we dont make a deal for a dman our top 4 will get huge minutes in the playoffs.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What I think happens

Bura'coulda is out in a change of scenery deal. Domi works - we like our bloodlines.

We usually add a tough stay at homer type, and seasons before that a PMD. I think we'll go PMD this year, but only after Green gets snubbed once again by SteveY at the 11th hour, and after waiving his NMC for Tampa. And we get the demoralized damaged goods part II, giving up a 1st in the last deal of the day. I can see it now. R2G752 whiffs on a pass and doesn't realize it.

I wouldn't mind seeing a blockbuster with a regular / PFA sent out but won't hold my breath. Bura aside I'd hold our prospects now even though they are meh and don't carry much value. I don't want to part ways with most without seeing the new coach get a shot.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I don't think Kelfbom will be moved he is part of the Oilers core D with Nurse. I like McDonogh or Gudbranson but they are hurt so much lately, not worth the risk.

I'd be down for a blockbuster deal with the Yotes. Haven't read much about Caps scouting there at all though. The only Dmen "on the block" that I would be willing to give up something significant for are OEL or Hjalmersson.

And please dear god no Green. I couldn't take another playoff of his lackadaisical, skating upright, zero passion hockey playing.

Last edited:

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
we need defenseman ? ok but dont overpay and stay away from aging slow "solid" players. do not replace orpik with another orpik.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's one thing not to believe Green was a top 7/8 defenseman on Team Canada years ago and another not to believe he couldn't help out a third pair/PP on a Cup run.

ok....that explains Yzerman. It doesn't cover Green's end of the deal.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We are not going to get a top 4 shut down d-man unless we move a significant piece. And if we get a bottom pair guy he's likely to be another cheap plug

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Sure. But that's just hope. And Kuzy has been OK. He's getting points but too may nights he's pretty invisible.

It seems whenever Backstrom or Kuznetsov are not with Ovechkin they seem invisible, we need another top 6 winger or we need Oshie to come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad