Proposal: Capdump for sens

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The cap is not really an issue with Ottawa it's the money owed which i would argue is where half of negative value in a bad contract is the other half is length.

Marleau had a 6m caphit but only made 3 mil Smith makes the same so i don't see how you go from a 1st to a late 3rd or a 4th and even if you payed his bonus it would still be 2.3mil at which point i'd at least want a 2nd to take him on.

I could understand your perspective based on the above.
That said, regardless of some teams looking to max cash position w/min cash outlay paid, I maintain the fundamental here stands.

Team w/a bad contract preferring cap space will add a desirable to either recover the whole cap hit,
or alternatively,
do a less desirable send and also take on a less desired asset.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
If we ended up absolutely needing the cap space I’d give a 3rd to take Russell and considering he’s a $4 million cap hit with $1.5 million salary remaining after July 1st that’s exactly the type of contract Ottawa would target.

He’s a serviceable bottom pairing D. From all reports he’s good in the locker room and would help Ottawa reach the floor. I know the OP is looking more to use up cap for higher end assets than a mid pick but realistically a Melnyk club isn’t doing that.

How about Russell + 3rd for Reilly? Identical salary; Edmonton saves $2.5m in cap.

Some comments on the OP...

- the only “bad” contract Ottawa can send back in a trade is Anisimov, and he is also due bonuses. If they were going to move him for someone like Eriksson it would need to be in two separate transactions (e.g. Anisimov traded before 1 July, Eriksson traded after 1 July).

- I think 3 year cap dumps should not be considered. It should be a 2 year max

- Dump options should also include LTIR players.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
That might be doable, but I think there's a chance that Loui Eriksson retires. I believe his young family moved back to Dallas prior to the season, and I'd imagine he wouldn't want to be apart from them much longer (unless they'd be willing to make another move).

Eriksson has a career earnings of 60ish mill just from hockey alone. I wonder if 5 mill over two years is enticing enough for a guy that's made so much already. And w/ 4 mill of the 5 to be paid in the last year of his contract, I wonder if that's enough of a carrot to play next season for 1 million.

snip
*Insert "So you are telling me there is a chance"-meme*

Stuff like this is totally pointless speculation as there's literally no evidence Eriksson would just retire.

Forgot to mention even if there ever was a possibility, that's gone with the current pandemic hurting his investments and businesses.

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
An idea on the sens board was after subban's bonus was paid to have a deal around subban for zaistev. I know subban's play has declined. I am not sure just how much to try and even justify who adds what

I don't think NJ does that. Subban is terrible but I'm sure they'd rather try to retain 50% and get a small/nothing return over getting Zaitsev for a bunch more years.

Subban going to the Sens makes a lot of sense though. Despite his issues he's still an Ontario guy and incredibly marketable to casual fans, he'd definitely sell some tickets and jerseys. After the signing bonuses are due I could see something around Ryan for Subban. Same term left. Both guys get closer to home. Melnyk saves some cash and NJ saves some cap space (not that they really need it).

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
*Insert "So you are telling me there is a chance"-meme*

Stuff like this is totally pointless speculation as there's literally no evidence Eriksson would just retire.

Forgot to mention even if there ever was a possibility, that's gone with the current pandemic hurting his investments and businesses.

Lol, I'm sure his 60 million USD just in hockey salary could survive this pandemic -- that's close to 80 million CAD; I'm doing just fine w/ less than a fifth of 1 percent of that (0.17% of 1%). I'm sure he won't go homeless, good-sized houses in Dallas sell for 150k+.

If anything, the pandemic may have the super rich rethink if they want to have more family time, esp being on the downside of his career, at odds w/ the coach, threat of riding the bus in the AHL for two years, in a place where the fan base wants him gone, and living away from his young family. Who knows about extra money in endorsements and investments/businesses; maybe he has stock in Purell, 3M, and toilet paper companies. There's a thing called F. U. money, and Eriksson has it.

EDIT: For reference, after July 1st 2020, Loui Eriksson will enter (or be around) the top-75 career earners of ALL-TIME in the NHL once that signing bonus kicks in.

Career Earnings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Oilers offer you Kris Russell. 1 year left @4m cap hit but real dollars are lower. We'll take a lower end prospect plus a 4th or lower round pick. Russell could help teach Chabot to be a leader on the backend plus allow you're prospects to develop a little more for an extra year.

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
Oilers offer you Kris Russell. 1 year left @4m cap hit but real dollars are lower. We'll take a lower end prospect plus a 4th or lower round pick. Russell could help teach Chabot to be a leader on the backend plus allow you're prospects to develop a little more for an extra year.

Gotta sweeten the pot if you want us to take a contract dump. We’re not giving up the pick :laugh:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
wait Melynk is gonna pay 10's of millions for a couple picks?

lol. yeah right. they a re more likely to try to trade high salary guys for guys with a high cap but lower salary

Reactions: qqaz

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
honestly im moreso looking to get picks and prospects for cap dumps no need for us to trade our players
The thing is, there definitely IS a need to trade players if you are taking on cap dumps. Even if they just bring back contracted players and re-sign their RFAs they will have 10 waiver eligible forwards plus Tkachuk taking up 11 roster spots.

Taking on a cap dump at forward means they roadblock the young players (Batherson, Norris, Brown, Formenton) or they risk losing a good depth forward on waivers (Chlapik, Balcers, Hawryluk, Paul).

There is a little more room on D, but note that England, Reilly, Lajioe and Jaros will all be waiver eligible. If they are taking on D it would be preferable to get some value back rather than losing players for nothing.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Ottawa sells picks for money, certainly wont be acquiring any non insured ir type players on big contracts to benefit the team in the long run under one Eugene Melnyk, hasn't happened in his time nor will it!

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Ok so we all know that the Sens arent going to take on pure Cap dumps but I'm sure the Blues would like rid of Bozak and Allen both of which would be useful.

What about something around Dunn+Allen for Hogberg?

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Ok so we all know that the Sens arent going to take on pure Cap dumps but I'm sure the Blues would like rid of Bozak and Allen both of which would be useful.

Sens fans see Hogberg as at the very their backup and top goalie prospect for now. Im not sure how Sens would react tbh.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Sens fans see Hogberg as at the very their backup and top goalie prospect for now. Im not sure how Sens would react tbh.
I'm sure there are numerous variations on the return that could be done, the Blues are in a position to take back something in another position as long as it's a good player who is cheap.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast

That is an attractive offer, but I don’t think they would want to move Hogberg.

What about Dunn + Bozak as the base of the deal?

Ottawa don’t have a lot of good, cheap players to send back unfortunately. The best they could do would be to send back Tierney ($3m RFA) as the main piece, or to make the trade for picks/prospects/depth and then retain 50% on Anisimov ($4.55m) as the guy the send back.

Last edited:

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
I would go for something like Henrik Lundqvist (cap hit 8,5m, salary 5,5m) + Marc Staal (cap hit 5,7m, salary 4,2m) + 1st round pick + Lias Andersson for Anders Nilsson (cap hit 2,6, salary 2,4) and Mike Reilly (both 1,5m).

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Blues aren't going to give up Dunn just to dump Allen. With year Allen had, they could likely fetch a pick for him and Dunn has significant value on his own.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Blues aren't going to give up Dunn just to dump Allen. With year Allen had, they could likely fetch a pick for him and Dunn has significant value on his own.
You quoted the words "something around" yourself.
Allen has great backup numbers (24 games) but is too expensive (4.35mil) without retention which defeats the point for STL. This is why Dunn's value has been added. No one wants that contract for a backup and he is a doubtful starter target. Not sure your valuation holds up. If he was even 2mil we would probably not be discussing him but presently he is overpaid and in a spot the Blues can save to apply those savings to Petro. You generally pay to move overpaid players.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
That is an attractive offer, but I don’t think they would want to move Hogberg.

What about Dunn + Bozak as the base of the deal?

Ottawa don’t have a lot of good, cheap players to send back unfortunately. The best they could do would be to send back Tierney ($3m RFA) as the main piece, or to make the trade for picks/prospects/depth and then retain 50% on Anisimov ($4.55m) as the guy the send back.

I don't feel qualified to broker a deal here but I would think Bozak requires less incentive to trade than Allen. Bozak with one year and in a vital position suggests to me he is more of a mid round pick cost to move. I could be wrong though, I don't usually give trades a lot of thoughts. None of the names you gave would I want just because of their Cap hits, Blues are better off getting picks if they cant get a cheap, good roster player. They need to come up with 8-10 mil.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
I don't feel qualified to broker a deal here but I would think Bozak requires less incentive to trade than Allen. Bozak with one year and in a vital position suggests to me he is more of a mid round pick cost to move. I could be wrong though, I don't usually give trades a lot of thoughts. None of the names you gave would I want just because of their Cap hits, Blues are better off getting picks if they cant get a cheap, good roster player. They need to come up with 8-10 mil.

Steen seems like the best candidate for an Ottawa deal ($5.75M cap, $3.5M salary). I don't know what the other pieces of the deal would be.
Sens would probably need to find a separate deal to move Tierney, if they acquired Bozak or Steen. Neither player likely wants to waive their NTC for Ottawa.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Steen seems like the best candidate for an Ottawa deal ($5.75M cap, $3.5M salary). I don't know what the other pieces of the deal would be.
Sens would probably need to find a separate deal to move Tierney, if they acquired Bozak or Steen. Neither player likely wants to waive their NTC for Ottawa.
Sure. Steen is a good candidate, Allen to.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I could see some team being the 3rd wheel and retaining on players with 1 year left like Steen, Allen, or Lundkvist to make it easier for their teams to move them.

Might not be Ottawa though as they have enough futures as it is, and Eugene will probably not want to pay actual dollars for picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad