Proposal: Capdump for sens

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Ottawa is currently on a good path with doing a proper rebuild, that said we won't be competitive for a few years. I want our prospects to develop carefully and so we can slowly trickle in some prospects . Im looking to entertain offers for 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks for cap dumps.

rules are

1. No more than 3 years remaining;

2. Only looking for 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks in terms of picks. For prospects generally top six forward or top 4 Dmen.

just curious what you folks want to offload to us.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Ottawa is currently on a good path with doing a proper rebuild, that said we won't be competitive for a few years. I want our prospects to develop carefully and so we can slowly trickle in some prospects . Im looking to entertain offers for 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks for cap dumps.

rules are

2. Only looking for 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks in terms of picks. For prospects generally top six forward or top 4 Dmen.

EM is cheap. You have to add Front Loaded salaries only.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Erikkson would cost more than a 1st. Marleau was a 1st for only 1 season- granted that might have been on Dubas rather than indicative of the market.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Erikkson would cost more than a 1st. Marleau was a 1st for only 1 season- granted that might have been on Dubas rather than indicative of the market.
Marleau was a 35+ contract. Which made it more expensive to get rid of. Eriksson last contract doesn’t have that particular drawback

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Subban makes a lot of sense after July 1. If NJ wants to move him. After July 1, he'll only be owed 10M over the next 2 years with an AAV of 9M. Not really a cap dump cause he's still decent.

Reactions: Conbon

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Vancouver will probably have to trade a 1st if they wanna get rid of Eriksson

depends on when ottawa trades for eriksson since most teams know ottawa will go for the cost effective move (as in wait for eriksson's bonus to be paid for next year which would then make his contract 5 million over two years

I would try and get eriksson(after bonus) + a 2nd with ottawa sending a 1 year contract back (Anisimov or Reilly)

Subban makes a lot of sense after July 1. If NJ wants to move him. After July 1, he'll only be owed 10M over the next 2 years with an AAV of 9M. Not really a cap dump cause he's still decent.

An idea on the sens board was after subban's bonus was paid to have a deal around subban for zaistev. I know subban's play has declined. I am not sure just how much to try and even justify who adds what

Reactions: gianni

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Why on earth would the flames pay 2 1sts to save $1.6M for the next 3 years, then a 1 year savings of $5.25??

Cause that's quite a bit of cap space to work with, and im sure we could help our bottom depth with it, Ryan could play on any line at 3.8M hes not so bad

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Why on earth would the flames pay 2 1sts to save $1.6M for the next 3 years, then a 1 year savings of $5.25??

Honestly Id be fine with a 1st for Lucic and a 1st for Neal. I get Eugene is a cheap guy but this is just me wondering how to use the cap space to get more assets.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
If you’re shopping out their entire salaries then I absolutely get it but taking back another bad deal (even if Ryan is a more effective bad deal) and only saving a minor amount doesn’t justify 2 1sts to me.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
depends on when ottawa trades for eriksson since most teams know ottawa will go for the cost effective move (as in wait for eriksson's bonus to be paid for next year which would then make his contract 5 million over two years

I would try and get eriksson(after bonus) + a 2nd with ottawa sending a 1 year contract back (Anisimov or Reilly)

I am all kinds of good with that.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

rules are

The 3 big #s for NYR -- all expiring -- are obviously:
Lundqvist 8ish
Staal 5.7
Smith 4.35

Hank, imo best move is to deal Geo once there is enuf on the table, so Henrik stays unless his game completely falls off [no evidence of THAT yet] at which point they try Huska. He's made many mils and won't embarrass himself and imo would retire if he's completely lost it. So this, and his NMC, no deal there.

Staal, also NMC, with a final year remaining, we need the picks more than the cap. Buy outs are an option, but not impossible he's clocked enough time and has enough battle scars he could retire as a player and take a consultant position. Again, no deal.

Smith makes sense.
Marleau w/35+ constriction at 6m = next years 1st as current yardstick, the value of BS at full pop = 3rd.
I do DAL's later 3rd 2020, or return of OTT 4th (2021?).

NY could use the cap and mins for others.
Sens add pick as per OP

Deal?

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
The 3 big #s for NYR -- all expiring -- are obviously:
Lundqvist 8ish
Staal 5.7
Smith 4.35

Hank, imo best move is to deal Geo once there is enuf on the table, so Henrik stays unless his game completely falls off [no evidence of THAT yet] at which point they try Huska. He's made many mils and won't embarrass himself and imo would retire if he's completely lost it. So this, and his NMC, no deal there.

Staal, also NMC, with a final year remaining, we need the picks more than the cap. Buy outs are an option, but not impossible he's clocked enough time and has enough battle scars he could retire as a player and take a consultant position. Again, no deal.

Smith makes sense.
Marleau w/35+ constriction at 6m = next years 1st as current yardstick, the value of BS at full pop = 3rd.
I do DAL's later 3rd 2020, or return of OTT 4th (2021?).

NY could use the cap and mins for others.
Sens add pick as per OP

Deal?

The cap is not really an issue with Ottawa it's the money owed which i would argue is where half of negative value in a bad contract is the other half is length.

Marleau had a 6m caphit but only made 3 mil Smith makes the same so i don't see how you go from a 1st to a late 3rd or a 4th and even if you payed his bonus it would still be 2.3mil at which point i'd at least want a 2nd to take him on.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If we ended up absolutely needing the cap space I’d give a 3rd to take Russell and considering he’s a $4 million cap hit with $1.5 million salary remaining after July 1st that’s exactly the type of contract Ottawa would target.

He’s a serviceable bottom pairing D. From all reports he’s good in the locker room and would help Ottawa reach the floor. I know the OP is looking more to use up cap for higher end assets than a mid pick but realistically a Melnyk club isn’t doing that.

Last edited:

gianni

Apr 8, 2014

That might be doable, but I think there's a chance that Loui Eriksson retires. I believe his young family moved back to Dallas prior to the season, and I'd imagine he wouldn't want to be apart from them much longer (unless they'd be willing to make another move).

Eriksson has a career earnings of 60ish mill just from hockey alone. I wonder if 5 mill over two years is enticing enough for a guy that's made so much already. And w/ 4 mill of the 5 to be paid in the last year of his contract, I wonder if that's enough of a carrot to play next season for 1 million.

Anyhow, I think this is the right route to go for the Sens; when the Canucks were still developing the young guys, they had veterans around to shoulder the blame if things didn't go right. Other vets from the Canucks roster that may interest the Senators are: Antoine Roussel, Brandon Sutter, and Sven Baertschi.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
If we ended up absolutely needing the cap space I’d give a 3rd to take Russell and considering he’s a $4 million cap hit with $1.5 million salary remaining after July 1st that’s exactly the type of contract Ottawa would target.

He’s a serviceable bottom pairing D. From all reports he’s good in the locker room and would help Ottawa reach the floor. I know the OP is looking more to use up cap for higher end assets than a mid pick but realistically a Melnyk club isn’t doing that.

That does seem like the right kind of target as long as the sens don’t bring back Hainsey.

I’m pretty confident they will sign Boro (they need someone for between the plant interviews), and I don’t think there is room for 3 of Hainsey, Boro and Russell. At least one of Wolanin or Brannstrom will make the team as well. I’d bet on Wolanin.

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Zug(pending official announcement)
Rielly-Russell-Boro (some rotation combination of the 3)

Rielly moved along for a later pick when Brannstrom earns his spot (some time between Christmas and the deadline). I could also see Rielly just naturally losing ground to Russell and Boro because both the latter play a more DJ Smith style of game.

Looks like another tough year / lottery pick for Ottawa but at least there’s potential for development from Chabot, Wolanin and Zug.

Russell would contribute in giving more time for AHL development for Brannstrom, continue in the Boro/Hainsey mould of showing guys how to play the right way, eat some tough PK minutes to free up Chabot and Wolanin for even strength and PP, and provide cap hit above his value. Good thinking, I’d do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad